Author Topic: 730 Miles on G5  (Read 3170 times)

singhg5

• Grand Gearhead
on: May 11, 2009, 03:57:31 pm
Good day:

Here is an update of my Black Stallion - a G5 on the roads of New Jersey.  It has completed 730 miles.

Did 2nd oil change at 600 miles a few days back.  The oil was dirty and there were fine particles on the magnetic heads of drain plug and screen door. The screen was clear.  The gas consumption is about 65 miles per gallon.  I mainly use electric starter that works fine.  I have unplugged the side stand engine-kill connection because it casued problems frequently - motor would not start even when side stand was up.

I have touched upto 60 mph when handle vibrations are felt quite a bit.  It is smooth at 50mph or below.  A couple of times heard a weird hissing sound coming from the engine at 50-60 mph for a few seconds.  It is a hissing sound like water gushing or very small metallic pebbles rolling down a tube.  The sound disappears when I reduced the speed.  Does not happen every time I reach the same speed.  Any ideas what is goiing on ?  Even before this sound, there were a few loose screws and bolts that I had tightened.

Have added back rest / sissy bar.  It has 4 holes for attachment to seat (2 on each side of seat) and the tip of bar attaches at the rear shocks. It was typically RE fit because out of 6 points of contact only 4 were straight fits.  After a fair bit of jiggle only managed to fit 5 bolts.  The sixth would not reach the frame.  So I used a thinner bolt I happen to have at one of the seat holes. 

Right side of back rest.

Left side of back rest

Something has happened to the center stand and now both front and rear tyres touch the ground ! Nothing is loose and it is stable. It is so new that it is hard to believe that the center stand hole has changed.  I use a plastic polyethylene cutting board under the stand to raise rear wheel.  Just now the indicator light in the speedo for left / right turn signals has stopped blinking - bulb or fuse ? 

PS - It is continuation of earlier post

http://www.enfieldmotorcycles.com/forum/index.php/topic,3958.0.html

« Last Edit: May 11, 2009, 04:12:21 pm by singhg5 »
1970's Jawa /  Yezdi
2006 Honda Nighthawk
2009 Royal Enfield Black G5

Blltrdr

• Grand Gearhead
  • cycle-delic music
Reply #1 on: May 11, 2009, 04:54:26 pm
Singhg5, it seems you have had more problems than most would envision with this new model. I guess you can classify yourself as a pioneer of sorts as being one of the first in this country to purchase one. You do have a 2 year warranty to cover any major problems, so that should ease your mind some.

Examining your pics of your backrest it seems it needs to be pushed forward some so the end that slips into the shock bolt seats all the way down. I'm not sure if you have a lock washer behind the acorn nut but if not I would probably use an external lock washer to squish between your nut and backrest tang. Who knows why the rest wasn't design so the mount was drilled instead of slotted.

The metallic pebble sound you hear resembles pinking which would suggest some timing issues. I can't say for sure because you also made reference to the same problem describing it as a hissing sound like gushing water

Have you discussed your issues with your dealers? It would be good info to post so others can see how issues with the new bikes are dealt with. Remember the pioneering reference I made earlier, well it is up to you and other owners of these new models to pave the road ahead for future buyers.

Keep the post coming, I look forward to your updates.

Blltrdr
2003 Classic 500 5 spd
2009 HD FLHT Police 103 6 spd
1992 Kawasaki ZG 1200 Voyager XII

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
  • R.I.P Papa Juan, Uncle Ernie
Reply #2 on: May 11, 2009, 10:39:34 pm
Could the hissing be a faulty compression release?
On the eighth day God created the C5, and it was better looking than anything on the planet.
Iron Butt Association

Kevin Mahoney

• Gotten my hands dirty on bikes more than once -
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Cozy Sidecar distributor/former Royal Enfield dist
Reply #3 on: May 12, 2009, 01:03:25 pm
I have written to Mr. Singh to get better descriptions of his noises, but I would guess that the noise he describes as "rocks" in his engine is the decompressor. (Very good description of the sound by the way). This engine uses a small flyweight on one of the cams to release compression. When the engine is spinning up to start the flyweight is in the "on" position.. This causes s small protrusion on the cam to lift the valve slightly off it's seat to release compression. Once the engine gets to a higher speed ,centrifugal force forces the flyweight outwards and the protrusion drops. Under some conditions they can be noisy  but totally harmless clacking back and forth.  Two choices, live with it and enjoy the old time mechnical noises at low rpms or remove it. (takes about 10 minutes). Removed, it is a bit like an appendix, you don't really need it and won't miss it.
Best Regards,
Kevin Mahoney
www.cyclesidecar.com