Author Topic: gas line  (Read 5371 times)

mtrude

• Scooter
on: October 04, 2007, 01:07:07 pm
Hello, on the way to work this a.m. the brass nipple on the fuel line  vibrated loose from the carburetor on my 99 Bullet. (stock Micarb) can anyone reccomend a adhesive to use on this or is it a press fit? I intend to lengthen the line to isolate it from some vibration. Thanks mtrude

Thumper

• Psalm 23
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Classic Wannabe
Reply #1 on: October 04, 2007, 01:18:54 pm
Hello, on the way to work this a.m. the brass nipple on the fuel line  vibrated loose from the carburetor on my 99 Bullet. (stock Micarb) can anyone reccomend a adhesive to use on this or is it a press fit? I intend to lengthen the line to isolate it from some vibration. Thanks mtrude

One option is to have it bronze-welded (aka brazing). More involved than a DIY fix, but likely to last longer.

Matt

Sam

• Uralist & now, Bulleteer!
  • Bulleteer
Reply #2 on: October 04, 2007, 01:22:53 pm
press fit; Loctite red (the stud and bearing mount stuff) could help.
<Insert cryptic saying by obscure author here>

mtrude

• Scooter
Reply #3 on: October 04, 2007, 08:22:35 pm
thanks for the replies, Im not sure the brazing is within my abilities, brass to aluminum/pot metal? Im trying a very careful wipe of loctite on the nipple and a firm press fit. thanks mtrude

LotusSevenMan

• Grand Gearhead
  • ...._[:]@==<
Reply #4 on: October 04, 2007, 09:22:17 pm
A good clean up then a small amount of two pack JB WELD would be my favourite. Advantage is you can build up some around the outside to help keep it in place and it's grey in colour (sorry, color) so you can't see it very much against the aluminium!  :)
If it ain't broke-------------------------- fix it 'till it is!

Royal Enfield Miltary 500cc  (2003)
Honda VTR FireStorm (SuperHawk) 996cc 'V' twin
Kawasaki KR1 250cc twin 'stroker
Ducati 916 'L' twin

exiledcarper

• Bulleteer
Reply #5 on: October 05, 2007, 12:34:48 am
A good clean up then a small amount of two pack JB WELD would be my favourite. Advantage is you can build up some around the outside to help keep it in place and it's grey in colour (sorry, color) so you can't see it very much against the aluminium!  :)
Surely you mean ALUMINUM old chap? ;D.

Sorry, just being fascecious(did I get that rigth?), we all know the Yanks can't spell. I  should know, I'm half Limey/half Sptic.  No wonder I wander through life in such a bewildered state.  Even worse now it seems the dear old Bullet may be no more from next month on, someone PLEASE tell me it's not true.  I don't have thereadies to buy one just yet, I'll end up paying a bleedin' fortune >:(.

Thumper

• Psalm 23
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Classic Wannabe
Reply #6 on: October 05, 2007, 12:51:49 pm
Surely you mean ALUMINUM old chap? ;D.

Sorry, just being fascecious(did I get that rigth?), we all know the Yanks can't spell. I  should know, I'm half Limey/half Sptic.  No wonder I wander through life in such a bewildered state.  Even worse now it seems the dear old Bullet may be no more from next month on, someone PLEASE tell me it's not true.  I don't have thereadies to buy one just yet, I'll end up paying a bleedin' fortune >:(.

That's OK, I can only understand about 1/3 of what they're saying over on the Hitchcock's board. Are they joking, or are they serious? Are they making fun of me or supporting me?

You Brits are funny. Plus you gave the world Thumpers!

;D

Matt

LotusSevenMan

• Grand Gearhead
  • ...._[:]@==<
Reply #7 on: October 05, 2007, 08:16:32 pm
As it is said like          ALOOMINUM SIDINGS!
This IS an American forum so I was giving due deference to the chaps who frequent this board (which I have to say is one of the best!!!).
If it ain't broke-------------------------- fix it 'till it is!

Royal Enfield Miltary 500cc  (2003)
Honda VTR FireStorm (SuperHawk) 996cc 'V' twin
Kawasaki KR1 250cc twin 'stroker
Ducati 916 'L' twin

exiledcarper

• Bulleteer
Reply #8 on: October 05, 2007, 09:47:55 pm
As it is said like          ALOOMINUM SIDINGS!
This IS an American forum so I was giving due deference to the chaps who frequent this board (which I have to say is one of the best!!!).
Just having a laugh mate, me being a halfbaked Limey/Yank crossbreed ;D.