Author Topic: Newbie-Looking for advice on Used RE's  (Read 2268 times)

shotime

• Scooter
on: May 09, 2009, 04:26:52 pm
Hello Bhaiyon (hindi for "Brothers/Buddies")
First off though I am repeating the same message as others..this site rocks (or kicks for non-G5 owners)
I am from India and have always been a big fan of RE. Now after a few years here in US the bike bug has bit me again (used to ride in India not a RE tho')

This forum/community has been a rich source of info for me as I have been a silent reader in the last few months.
While I would like to get a new G5 classic for now I have convinced myself in getting a used RE.
Being a novice (I am not a tinkerer but eager to learn once I have a RE) to RE I have found many helpful posts on older RE models (b/t 2000-2005) (some daunting, some eye opening, most of them fun)

I am looking for advice on the questions to ask the current owner (postings on craigslist/ebay) regd the bike.
Beyond the usual few questions (more pics, year/model, mileage) I am not sure what to ask. Some of these bikes posted are 200+ miles away and I don't want to drive to there till I am relatively sure of buying the bike. (I know there will be a leap-of-faith moment but like with my wife I will know it when I am there :))

Can you gurus help me out with the kind of questions I can ask via emails to get the best idea of the used bike?
Also, once I am physically looking at the bike...what should I look out for?

Namaste,
shishya (student)

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #1 on: May 09, 2009, 04:40:20 pm
Number one question is "Does the bike run and drive well, without unusual noises or faults?".
Number two question is "Does it have any smoke coming out the exhaust?"
Number three question is "Is there any body or paint damage, or unusual wear or rust?"
Number four question is "Does it have a clear title?"
Number five  question is "How much is the price?"

A general suggestion might be to choose an older model, 1999 or later, which has kickstart only. NO electric starter. Unless you have some physical abnormality which precludes you from kickstarting the bike, you'd be far better off without an electric start system on a Bullet.
Home of the Fireball 535 !

shotime

• Scooter
Reply #2 on: May 09, 2009, 04:55:39 pm
Hi Ace...thanks a lot for your tips/questions..will sure ask these..

Cheers. Hoping to ride a RE soon. Will keep you all updated.

Thanks.

geoffbaker

Reply #3 on: May 09, 2009, 05:47:22 pm
If it's a kick starter, make sure you can kick start it easily. I'd check the plug - if black, its burning rich which may be a sign of problems.

Best of all, take it to a mechanic you trust for a once-over, if you can.

pknopp

• Bulleteer
Reply #4 on: May 09, 2009, 05:58:07 pm
 How easy it is to start would IMO be a decent indicator of whether I wanted to look at it (as a generalizaton).

Two thoughts on that. (I would also stick with a kickstart bike, but that would be the case even if money didn't matter with me). If the guy can start it while cold on one or two kicks, he likely has maintained it.

Once started you seem familiar enough with bikes to listen for any problems. (or look in the case of smoke).

There is a thought that if the person never got the hang of starting it and didn't ride it much, it certainly could also be a good buy.
2000 Dlx

UncleErnie

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: May 10, 2009, 01:20:07 am
If it's out of town, check this (or other forums) to see if there is anyone close by who can go look at it for you.

Try calling during the day.  Sometimes you'll get the wife, mother, or girlfriend.  Many times, they are happy to talk about the REAL reason it's for sale.
Run what ya brung

1Blackwolf1

• Grand Gearhead
  • Looking for the next rebuild project....
Reply #6 on: May 10, 2009, 02:41:31 am
  I agree with all these views and add if it doesn't feel right it probably isn't.  Price, condition, mileage.  Look at all aspects carefully before making a decision.  If the seller won't let you see the machine before purchase or bidding something is probably wrong.  Will
Will Morrison
2007 500 Military
2000 Kawasaki Drifter 1500
2000 Victory V92SC
1976 Suzuki GT185 Rebuilder Special..AKA (Junkyard Dog)
Many, many other toys.
The garage is full.

shotime

• Scooter
Reply #7 on: May 10, 2009, 04:24:17 pm
Thanks all for all the tips and suggestions. I am looking forward to checking out a couple of RE's listed in my area this week.

otteryboy

• Scooter
Reply #8 on: May 10, 2009, 08:03:27 pm
I would think twice about a very low mileage bike, unless it is almost new.

I bought a 1992 bike in March 2009 with 700 miles on the clock. I should have thought "what has made this bike so un rideable?" I just thought wow, low mileage! It is going great now after a bit of grief, but it was not when I bought it and probably never had been, hence the low mileage - tho' not low price!

And be shrewd about the seller and the history of the bike. Not just the obvious service history but the provenance of the bike. There are loads of posts indicating how important the running in (break in) period is, so how was it done?

Many Enfields are not regular ride to work vehicles - many are "toys" and may have been used wisely or abused or unwisely modified ( as mine was)

I guess it is all about letting the head rule the heart, which is difficult when many of us who buy these bikes are emotionally driven. What I mean is I wanted an Enfield because it was the bike I would have liked in the sixties when I was sixteen but did not.

Not meaning to put you off tho', as all ended up happily with me. I just could have been a bit more shrewd.

Otteryboy ;D

1Blackwolf1

• Grand Gearhead
  • Looking for the next rebuild project....
Reply #9 on: May 11, 2009, 01:32:55 am
  Ah, but now you own a true classic!  My grandfather used to say there are 2 ways to have something nice, buy it that way or fix until it is.  Bonding of man and machine.  Will.
Will Morrison
2007 500 Military
2000 Kawasaki Drifter 1500
2000 Victory V92SC
1976 Suzuki GT185 Rebuilder Special..AKA (Junkyard Dog)
Many, many other toys.
The garage is full.

500KsGerry

• Grand Gearhead
  • Remember when decency wasn't a option?
Reply #10 on: May 11, 2009, 01:29:57 pm
Welcome Shotime and good luck in you hunt for  your RE. Any luck yet?  Some questions I like to ask are: first owner?  Receipts for parts, repairs, etc.? Spare parts?  Milage? also important to me is to try and feel out the age and experience of the owner. Happily most RE owners tend to be much more responsible in taking care of things. If the owner is a tinkerer as I am they genereally like to blab about a modifications and or  repairs and may be willing to give their impression of their bike. One question which I always like to  ask is "Why are you selling it?'. Of course the answer may or may not be honest but I like to ask this one face to face. I have gained a new e-mail buddy along with the purchase of my used 500  :) who is currently restoring a  pair of Ariel square fours. But this is America so...you never know for  sure  :(    Again welcome to the forum and to the USA. Best wishes,Gerry
« Last Edit: May 11, 2009, 01:31:48 pm by 500KsGerry »
Modified 2001 Royal Enfield bullet 500

UncleErnie

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #11 on: May 11, 2009, 01:46:23 pm
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=300312593715&sspagename=ADME%3AB%3AWNA%3AUS%3A1123&viewitem=

I would have thought this ne would go higher on eBay.  Seems to have all the goodies a lot of people want...
OTOH, a lot of people want their bikes stock so they can screw them up themslves  ::)   A lot of used bikes -even with very low miles- seem to go pretty cheap IMO.  A financially sad day if I ever get a notion to sell mine.
Run what ya brung