Author Topic: Kickstart or electric?  (Read 10317 times)

dave48

• Scooter
Reply #15 on: October 04, 2007, 08:32:11 pm
Bit slow there, wasn't I??
Tried it today and seems to help - thank you.

LotusSevenMan

• Grand Gearhead
  • ...._[:]@==<
Reply #16 on: October 04, 2007, 09:28:58 pm
I use the kickstart as often as possible as I like that vintage feel. The electric start is VERY useful when you stall at an intersection/juntion as I have done on a couple of occasions when I  must think I'm on my Honda VTR. Although my Bullet 500ES is right foot change and the Honda is left, I still put ithe Bullet into second gear thinking it is really first being a clunk down!!! The electric thumb is then a godsend!!!!!  ::)
If it ain't broke-------------------------- fix it 'till it is!

Royal Enfield Miltary 500cc  (2003)
Honda VTR FireStorm (SuperHawk) 996cc 'V' twin
Kawasaki KR1 250cc twin 'stroker
Ducati 916 'L' twin

exiledcarper

• Bulleteer
Reply #17 on: October 05, 2007, 12:29:28 am
I've got nothing against the electric thumb as such, I even owned a bike with one (and no kickstart :().  I'm just a little concerned about the electric foot/sprag clutch tearing up and all the bits potentially ending up god knows where.  I still can't help thinking that simplest is best on a vintage design like the Bullet.  I just saw the pics of the new unit constructed Enfield and note that it still sports a kickstart.  Unfortunately that's about as vintage as it gets, I hope and pray this very Japanese looking bike doesn't kill off the legend that is the Royal Enfield Bullet, but fear that the "suits" will insist so and prevail.  Bloody ridiculous, how much smog can a 500 single produce compared with ANY SUV?  I'm not knocking anyone who desires or needs a large vehicle, but PLEASE leave the dear old Bullet alone!

deejay

Reply #18 on: October 10, 2007, 02:52:05 am
Get the 5 speed e-start. Kickstart only is cool but that 4 speed gearbox is a pain in the @ss.

LJRead

Reply #19 on: October 10, 2007, 03:48:02 am
There was a suggestion on the Yahoo R E site today that might be useful to you all.  It suggest that, in order to remove the chance of damaging the sprgue clutch (whatever that is) you begin electric starting it with the decompression open a little and the engine gets turning, then kick in the compression.  Is that a good idea?

Sort of like bikes like the Moto Guzzi that have fairly large Bosch type starter motors.  Seem a lot more rugged to me, but how could one be fit?

Leonard

• Grand Gearhead
  • I loved this bike!!
Reply #20 on: October 10, 2007, 12:30:47 pm
That's how Snidal reccomends going it in his manual.  I may be tempting fate here but my '04 has over 12k miles and I have used the starter extensively without problem.  The starter motor is Japanese made and quite robust.....Leonard

There was a suggestion on the Yahoo R E site today that might be useful to you all.  It suggest that, in order to remove the chance of damaging the sprgue clutch (whatever that is) you begin electric starting it with the decompression open a little and the engine gets turning, then kick in the compression.  Is that a good idea?

Sort of like bikes like the Moto Guzzi that have fairly large Bosch type starter motors.  Seem a lot more rugged to me, but how could one be fit?
2009 Triumph Bonneville T100
2004 Royal Enfield Sixty-5 (RIP)
2001 Kawasaki W650 (going, going...gone)
http://www.romeoriders.com

exiledcarper

• Bulleteer
Reply #21 on: October 11, 2007, 03:49:11 am
Good to see you've had no starter problems in 12000 miles Leonard.  How's the overall reliability been also and have you done any of the common mods?  I don't intend to race my bike, but I would like to think that I could hold 60mph or so with a carb/pipe kit and higher gearing.  So how's your Bullet treated you?  I'm assuming of course, that you've kept up with your timing and valve adjustments, as I intend to?

RagMan

• Bulleteer, Uralist &
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #22 on: October 11, 2007, 04:54:17 am
Make really sure you keep the timing spot on - the alternative keeps the bike in the shed for weeks..

Mine has the largest front sprocket, and manages to cruise happily at an indicated 70, and will go an indicated 75. It ain't too happy with that top speed though, but at 65 it just goes forever.
aka Indiana Bulleteer.
''99 Classic Bullet. '05 Ural Tourist sidecar rig, converted to 2wd. '05 Harley Davidson Sportster.
Jefferson County, WA