Author Topic: Kickstart or electric?  (Read 10314 times)

exiledcarper

• Bulleteer
on: October 03, 2007, 02:48:42 am
I'm still trying to narrow down which RE to buy.  I notice that there's still some 4 speed kickstart only models available and can't help wondering if simpler is better, especially on a vintage machine.  I did see that someone had problems  with the electric foot when the back missfires/kicksback.  I tend to lean towards simplest is best, but  then again I don't know if you can get a kickstart only Classic with 5 speed box?  That would seem to be a good combination.  I think I'm leaning more towards the Classic than the Electra variants, mainly for the styling and maybe better parts availability in the long term, as it seems the AVL may be a short lived motor, any thoughts folks?

luoma

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: October 03, 2007, 03:04:33 am
I think all the newer 5-speeds are electric start, but not to worry. They also come with the kicker. There are some RE riders who never use their electric starter (or seldom), feeling that kicking the machine brings them closer.

prof_stack

Reply #2 on: October 03, 2007, 05:16:45 am
Once owning a kick-start only Yamaha SR500 I can attest to the relative ease in starting the bike by foot. 

However,

there were a few times when the bike stalled at an intersection and didn't want to start quite as easy as it did at home when cold.  That was embarrassing.

I would get the RE with both (as the new ones have) starters and use the kick-starter as much as possible.

Spitting Bull

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: October 03, 2007, 09:36:07 am
It depends on how much you want to go back to 1950s basics and live with the slight risks involved in only having a kickstart:

- embarassment if it cuts out at traffic lights and then won't start quickly
- embarrassment if it won't start while people are watching
- rapid onset of personal exhaustion if it's being really un-cooperative

However, when you have the bike well-maintained, you get an excellent feeling of pride when you just give the kick-start a nonchalant little prod and the engine fires up!

Tom

One cylinder is enough for anyone.

RagMan

• Bulleteer, Uralist &
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: October 03, 2007, 02:25:18 pm
A kick start is capable of doing you injury, if your timing is out even a little - I have a broken foot and ankle caused by the kickstart. That should be kept in mind when deciding what system you want.
aka Indiana Bulleteer.
''99 Classic Bullet. '05 Ural Tourist sidecar rig, converted to 2wd. '05 Harley Davidson Sportster.
Jefferson County, WA

Thumper

• Psalm 23
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Classic Wannabe
Reply #5 on: October 03, 2007, 02:31:53 pm
Once owning a kick-start only Yamaha SR500 I can attest to the relative ease in starting the bike by foot. 

However,

there were a few times when the bike stalled at an intersection and didn't want to start quite as easy as it did at home when cold.  That was embarrassing.

I would get the RE with both (as the new ones have) starters and use the kick-starter as much as possible.

What the professor said...

I rarely use the E-start on my Electra - and am basically saving it for the winter months. (It's a PITA to be bundled up in full winter regalia on an 18 degree morning, then dripping with pre-ride sweat after trying to kick start the beast for several minutes....).

Besides, with the Electra's decompression mechanism it's almost as hard to E-start the bike as it is to kickstart it (that is, if you want to release the compression on the piston prior to E-starting it).

Matt

dewjantim

• Grease Monkey
Reply #6 on: October 03, 2007, 03:00:47 pm
Go for the kickstart only, just like in the old days.......Dew.
If it hurts, you're not dead yet!!!!!

dave48

• Scooter
Reply #7 on: October 03, 2007, 03:03:41 pm
"A kick start is capable of doing you injury"

Indeed it is! My 350 is going to have to spend a week unused after it kicked back at me a few days ago! Luckily only sprained my calf rather than re-tore the muscles which I damaged 10 years ago or it'd have been at least a month with no m'cycling.
Good job I've got an electic boot back up Virago as well.
As (in UK at any rate) bikers are in general an aging population,  there seem to be lots of older bikes for sale with the stated reason that "I need an electric starter"!

Spitting Bull

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: October 03, 2007, 06:47:35 pm
Electric starters can do you injury too, you know.  A friend of mine had has a 500 and he says it kicked back on the electric starter once.  He showed me a terrible bruise on his thumb.  ;)
One cylinder is enough for anyone.

Hulscat

• Scooter
Reply #9 on: October 03, 2007, 07:15:17 pm
I was able to get a great deal on my 2000 classic because it is KS only. Previous owner was going to give it to his 18 year old son but the boy didn't want it because it had no cheater switch. (kids today! probably wanted a crotch rocket)  My bike will start with a very light stroke first time every time. Amal carb with tickler helps I think and it takes practice finding that sweet spot just past TDC. I've never owned a Bullet ES but I've read a lot of posts about troubles with the sprag clutch. Some owners have even gone to a lot of time and expense to remove the ES. Do they even offer a new KS only anymore??
« Last Edit: October 03, 2007, 07:17:20 pm by Hulscat »

Sam

• Uralist & now, Bulleteer!
  • Bulleteer
Reply #10 on: October 03, 2007, 08:00:40 pm
Electric starters can do you injury too, you know.  A friend of mine had has a 500 and he says it kicked back on the electric starter once.  He showed me a terrible bruise on his thumb.  ;)

:D :D :D :D
<Insert cryptic saying by obscure author here>

dave48

• Scooter
Reply #11 on: October 03, 2007, 08:21:14 pm
"and it takes practice finding that sweet spot just past TDC."

An aside I know, but any clues as to HOW to find it??

Thumper

• Psalm 23
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Classic Wannabe
Reply #12 on: October 03, 2007, 08:47:52 pm
"and it takes practice finding that sweet spot just past TDC."

An aside I know, but any clues as to HOW to find it??

Press through the kickstarter until you hit compression.

Without any decompression, continue to stand on the kickstarter as it slowly goes thru compression. (Or let the kickstarter come back up to get better leverage before you press through).

You will feel it as the compression dissipates - take care as it'll start to move quickly and you don't want to go too far past TDC; now push thru another inch or three

Let the kickstart lever rachet back up to the top

It is now just past TDC and there will not be signicant pressure to kick against. You're now ready to give it a good kick.

After becoming familiar with the routine, you can use the decomp so that you don't have to actually stand on the kickstarter and press thru the compression.

My Electra X likes about 2-4 inches once I've pressed thru the compression.

Seems like other thumpers I've had like it closer to TDC than the RE.

Note that before any of this, I kick thru about 6 times under full decompression just to get things fluid (and to tickle the carb on the last one).

Matt
« Last Edit: October 04, 2007, 12:42:26 pm by Thumper »

dave48

• Scooter
Reply #13 on: October 03, 2007, 09:49:02 pm
Thanks - I shall study your guide!
Does it make a difference that I don't have a de-compressor?

Thumper

• Psalm 23
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Classic Wannabe
Reply #14 on: October 04, 2007, 12:39:28 pm
Thanks - I shall study your guide!
Does it make a difference that I don't have a de-compressor?

No. What I outlined below is done specifically without the decomp.