Author Topic: Another new RE owner  (Read 3519 times)

boggy

• Grand Gearhead
  • Karma Ultra: 7
on: May 07, 2009, 02:35:39 pm
So I've been reading this forum quietly from the shadows for over a year now.  Long story longer, the bike is currently in the back of some rig, on its way.

What a great forum you all have here, and it seems like it will be an amazing resource.

Anyone in the Boston area that has a mechanic that they trust with their bike?  Let me know if you do.

Thanks/Boggy
« Last Edit: August 14, 2014, 08:14:43 pm by boggy »
2007 AVL
2006 DRZ400SM

Thumper

• Psalm 23
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Classic Wannabe
Reply #1 on: May 07, 2009, 02:54:01 pm
Welcome Boggy and congratulations!

Don't let this scare you, but here's my maintenance notes:

http://members.verizon.net/allofusmorrows/RE_maintenance.htm

A lot of what I do is really overkill, but then I've always been a little anal!

Let us know when the ride arrives and how it feels (and sounds)!

Matt

roy9sqn

• Neophyte
Reply #2 on: May 07, 2009, 09:57:04 pm
After owning quite a variety of 2 and 4 strokes from 50 to 1100cc, I was concerned about my purchase of an `06 Electra offof Ebay...I bought it on impulse..The beauty of the machine sold it to me and I worried about the tales of the Sprag..
  Do not worry my friend...Just learn to kick...Keep a close eye on this forum for potential problems and solutions and you don`t need a mechanic...It`s all here..
   I`ve had the bike for 18 months now and can safely predict it will be with me for the rest of my biking life...Lifechanging...

DonK

• Bulleteer
Reply #3 on: May 08, 2009, 01:54:30 am
Hey boggy, I'm from western Mass, near Springfield, home of the Indian. When I read your post It reminded me of how I got my 99 Enfield. I told my wife I was all through with motorcycles and I thought I was until I saw this ad about an Enfield. I never heard of an Enfield.  Meanwhile my wife and I go on line to do some research about the bike and she says "ok buy it".  I couldn't believe what I was hearing. When I met the seller the first time he forgot his keys, but after seeing this bike I bought it on the spot. When I picked the bike up It wouldn't run well enough to make it home so I had to trailer it back. This bike is the easiest thing to work on, you don't need a mechanic. This site is like having onstar in your Chevy, just ask, and someone will have the answer. You won't be sorry.This is the coolest bike!

Cabo Cruz

• Papa Juan
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: May 08, 2009, 02:36:26 am
Welcome, Br. Boggy!  I am certain that you will enjoy many, many, many miles with many, many, many smiles!   :) :) :)
Long live the Bullets and those who ride them!

Keep the shiny side up, the boots on the pegs and best REgards,

Papa Juan

REA:    Member No. 119
BIKE:   2004 Royal Enfield Sixty-5
NAME: Perla

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #5 on: May 08, 2009, 03:49:59 am
Welcome  Boggy.

No matter where you go, there, you are.

boggy

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: May 09, 2009, 02:51:06 am
Hey, thanks everyone. 

Thumper, thanks for the great info and, yes, you have terrified me.  But, its great to know the resources are here.  That was motivation for getting the RE. 

DonK, ya.  It's one of those moments when things just line up in the right way.  You can't believe what you are hearing but you just have to shut up and not blow it!  I really didn't think I'd be riding again for a while, and here I go. 

Again, thanks for the welcome everyone.  I'll post a pic when it arrives.

2007 AVL
2006 DRZ400SM

thestewart

• Scooter
  • I got nothin'
Reply #7 on: May 23, 2009, 06:00:27 pm
Hey Boggy,

I'm in the Boston area (Newton), love to meet up for ride, swap maintenance/ repair stories. I have a 2008 Iron Bullet - supposedly "one of the last green ones". The dealer I bought mine from has no shop, so I've been doing everything myself- and it's really satisfying. Couldn't have done it without this forum and Pete Snidal's manual though. I even managed to change the head gasket, successfully stopping the oil weep.

Cheers.
2008 Bullet Classic- Iron
My other bike's an Ironhead. It's like working on the Enfield twice.

boggy

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: May 26, 2009, 12:30:18 am
You bet.  Still waiting on my title.  I'm getting a bad feeling.  Bought the bike from Arlington Motorsports outside of Chicago the last week in April and they have yet to produce a title.  They said the "State" is slow.  Good thing I had them write a clean title guarantee it on the bill of sale. 

Fingers crossed.
2007 AVL
2006 DRZ400SM

UncleErnie

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: May 26, 2009, 01:47:57 am
North Carolina had some difficulty with mine, too.  I think it ended up getting titled as a kit bike or something.
Run what ya brung

Mitch

• Scooter
Reply #10 on: June 01, 2009, 04:00:48 pm
I bought a bike out of state from a dealer and everything was fine... although it took a while to get the MSO (Manuf. Statement of Origin), which I handed into my DMV to get my title.  I am on my second RE now as my first one is turned into a CAFE (with small tank).  It is noticably quicker (well... the other RE has a sidecar) and fun to ride... Good Luck with your new machine.

boggy

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #11 on: June 01, 2009, 07:57:02 pm
Got my title, finally, a month after I bought it.  Talk about frustrating.  After getting my turn signals and tail light rigged up (thanks to the people here) I was out all this weekend riding in perfect New England weather. 

Thanks for all the help everyone.  I'll be asking for plenty more down the road.  Enjoy the ride.

Boggy

p.s. I still can't kickstart the thing.  Have the Snidal book but I'm just not getting the hang of it.  Have to though, that electric start sounds gross.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2014, 08:16:47 pm by boggy »
2007 AVL
2006 DRZ400SM

The Garbone

• Shade Tree
  • Grand Gearhead
  • User Complaints: 22
Reply #12 on: June 01, 2009, 08:36:32 pm
I have to disagree about the horn,,  its so cheesy you can't help but love it..

You assessment of the bike is right on.

Gotta get that kick start down..  Nothing is cooler than sitting in a parking lot talking to a bunch of soft handed Harley and Jap bike riders and when you go to leave being the only one to have to kick start their machine.   Not to mention the feel of pushing the engine over and and having it grab under the power of your leg.   Then getting that nice thump thump....    ;D

Good stuff...
Gary
57' RE Crusader 250
67' Ford Mustang
74' Catalina 27 "Knot a Clew"
95 RE Ace Clubman 535
01 HD 1200 Custom
07 RE 5spd HaCK

* all actions described in this post are fictional *

Kevin Mahoney

• Gotten my hands dirty on bikes more than once -
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Cozy Sidecar distributor/former Royal Enfield dist
Reply #13 on: June 03, 2009, 04:25:09 am
I want to remind all of you Lean-Burn owners to check the TCI (ignition) box underneath your seat. It should be green which is the newest model. If yours is black either call us with your VIN number at 800-201-7472 or go to your dealer and get a free replacement. The new one may help save you from a sprag clutch repair somewhere down the road.
Best Regards,
Kevin Mahoney
www.cyclesidecar.com

Tiny Tim

• Bulleteer
Reply #14 on: June 04, 2009, 08:03:03 am
Boggy,

Re your horn comment, I couldn't agree more.

Take a look at the Strebel Nautilus twin air horn. It's a compact air horn designed for motorcycles and deals well with the "Sorry mate, I didn't see you" syndrome. (Yeh but I bet you damn well heard me though)

http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcycle-horns/stebel-nautilus-compact/

If you cn't find it anywhere else, try Ebay.
REgards

Tiny Tim

"Whilst it isn't possible to polish a turd, you can always roll it in glitter"

2005 Electra AVL

Kevin Mahoney

• Gotten my hands dirty on bikes more than once -
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Cozy Sidecar distributor/former Royal Enfield dist
Reply #15 on: June 05, 2009, 02:57:30 am
In India, aftermarket very loud horns are quite common. They are a wear item.
Best Regards,
Kevin Mahoney
www.cyclesidecar.com