Author Topic: Just rolled over 400 on the G5  (Read 4197 times)

t120rbullet

• Grand Gearhead
on: May 04, 2009, 03:38:54 am
Well, rolled past the 400 mark on the G5 today.
Gave it it's second oil change at 300 and it came out pretty clean. Magnets didn't have much of anything on em. I'll change it again at 600 and once again right before I leave for Minnesota next month.

It's still the loudest UCE I have seen to date. The first time we started it up we thought it had a bad exhaust leak. Still can't find it if it does have one. Of the 4 UCE's I have got to ride 3 of em had the UCE tick when starting up (the auto de-compressor). Mine never did that but it has the "sound" that the other 3 didn't.
As long as it runs good I can live with strange noises. If it get's worse I'll put a stereo and a shorty muffler on it. LOL

It is running real rich. The plug and muffler are sooty black. Looks like a less restrictive muffler would be a good way to "tune" the richness out of it.

The stock spark plug is a 2 hook Bosch plug that seems to be unavailable on this side of the pond. In another post Vince said to use a NGK BPR6ES. So my mind starts thinking. The NGK BPR6ES is a single hook extended reach plug. I've been running a NGK BP6ET plug in my Iron motors for years now and just happened to have a bunch on the shelf. The BP6ET is a 3 hook extended reach plug and the only downside was that it's not a resistor plug. I had to try it.
Well it started up right off the bat but idled about 500 rpm faster and would not settle down to a good idle. Put the Bosch back in and everything is back to normal.
Guess the resistor has to be in there. I'm going to pick up a NGK BPR6EIX and a Denso IW20 next trip to the sparkplug store to try in there.

Getting ready for the Minnesota trip I made some D rings to mount on it to hook bungees onto. The Electra chassis is lacking in good places to hook things to. I also put a luggage rack and saddlebag brackets on and put the highway pegs I had on my 99 on.
Next I got to figure out a throttle lock for it.

I bought a set of Avon RoadRiders for a real good price but didn't have the heart to put em on my 99 cuz they so ugly so they ended up on the G5 and the Avon's that were on the G5 are going on the 99 as soon as I get around to it.

I was having some problems downshifting the G5. I think I traced it down to the fact that because I couldn't fit my boots under the shifter I moved it up 1 notch. Good for the upshift but when I downshift I have to pick my foot off the peg to press it down and I don't think I was letting it come all the way back up before pressing it down for the next gear.
I guess I'm still in training.

Last weekend I took it out and the Speedo started running slow. after a few more miles it was all the bike could do to get it above 30mph. During the week I unscrewed the cable from the speedo drive and stuck in a broken piece of cable in the drive. I spun the wheel around and couldn't feel any places where the gears were stripped or otherwise bad. I pulled the inner cable out and cleaned it and greased the bottom 2 feet of the cable and slid it back in and screwed the cable back on to the drive.
Took the bike around the block and the speedo didn't work at all now.
I got home and cocked the wheel over and looked at the underside of the speedo and the nut was off and the cable was held up there by some wires. Screwed it back on and it works good now.

Aside from that it's push the button and go.  No adjustments, no tweaking, no pep talks.  Almost boring.
CJ
1972 FLH "Sambo"
1999 Enfield 500 Black Deluxe "Silver"
2023 Guzzi V7 Special "BOB"

northshore_paul

• Bulleteer
  • Remember...all roads come to an end mon ami.
Reply #1 on: May 04, 2009, 05:52:18 am
Running rich? I thought this EFI on the new engine was computer controlled to a fine point where it would run at the proper fuel ratio all the time, regardless of intake or exhaust restrictions, altitude etc. The sensors are supposed to monitor the various parameters and adjust fuel flow accordingly. If the system is working properly when you put on a less restrictive exhaust it should send the same fuel ratio that it is presently set up for, which is too rich according to your account. I once had a BMW that had one potentiometer adjustment for fuel enrichment but it was supposed to be adjusted using an exhaust gas analyzer and it was looking at the carbon monoxide in the exhaust, the higher the number the richer the mixture. Does the enfield have such a fine tuning adjustment on the ECM? Let us know how you make out.
'01 Kawasaki W650
'06 Suzuki Burgman 400
'03 Bullet Classic gone to a new home
'84 BMW R100 gone to a new home
'94 Honda PC800 gone to a new home

Chasfield

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: May 04, 2009, 07:52:55 pm
EFI running rich - must need retuning.

Do-gooder Euro 3 regs banned the lean burn AVL Bullet this side of the pond, despite its superb 90 mile per gallon economy. I can't believe, after all that fuss and bother, that the EFI replacement should be delivering a sooty plug.

:(

« Last Edit: May 04, 2009, 07:56:32 pm by Chasfield »
2001 500 Bullet Deluxe

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
  • R.I.P Papa Juan, Uncle Ernie
Reply #3 on: May 04, 2009, 10:32:13 pm
For a throttle lock, I use a 1 1/4  "O" ring, roll it on the grip like a rubber into the gap between the grip and switch housing. This has worked great on every bike I've tried it on.
On the eighth day God created the C5, and it was better looking than anything on the planet.
Iron Butt Association

t120rbullet

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: May 04, 2009, 11:46:03 pm
I don't know about the EFI adjusting itself for any conditions that could be thrown at it.
I do know that on a HD (Delphi EFI) when you change anything you have to re-map the EFI unit or put a tweak module on it. They do not compensate for phyisical changes to the bike. It will compensate for changes in altitude though.
I don't know how REM set the UCE up. I don't believe you can re-map the EFI unit though.
Kevin was looking into i believe it was Power Commander tweak module for the UCE so changes could be made to the exhaust, air filter and whatever else.

In all fairness when I checked the plug in mine the bike only had 300 miles on it. It might change as it gets broken-in.

Thanks for the tip on the o-ring. I have a NEP lever type throttle lock but I'll have to mod it to fit this bike. I was thinking of whacking off the bar-end weights, grinding off all the grip retainers on the throttle barrel and putting a pair of GT or Beston grips on it. That would make the installation of the throttle lock a bit easier with some more room in between the grip and the control.
If I don't get that done by next month I might just try that o-ring trick.
1972 FLH "Sambo"

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
  • R.I.P Papa Juan, Uncle Ernie
Reply #5 on: May 05, 2009, 12:06:55 pm
The O ring is simple cheap and works like a charm.
On the eighth day God created the C5, and it was better looking than anything on the planet.
Iron Butt Association

PhilJ

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: May 05, 2009, 12:17:36 pm
Kevin had stated the the EFI mapping was from sea level to the tops of the Himalayas. If yours is sooty, it's probably just dorked.

t120rbullet

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: May 05, 2009, 01:15:39 pm
Kevin had stated the the EFI mapping was from sea level to the tops of the Himalayas. If yours is sooty, it's probably just dorked.

Or it don't like the 40 mph break-in speed.  Once I get it over 600 miles I'll get some mph out of it and see what it looks like. Should roll over 500 today.
CJ
1972 FLH "Sambo"

UK-Classics

• Bulleteer
Reply #8 on: May 05, 2009, 02:22:59 pm
Hopefully it will improve as you put some miles on it.
Kevin did a nice little ‘idiots guide’ to the Fuel injection process.

I guess if things continue to run rich then that means they would have to replace one of the sensors to sort the problem out – The good thing is you are covered by a 2 year warranty so there should be no real issues.

I’d be interested to know how much the sensors cost (for when the warranty runs out), how easy they are to swap out & and how much a new computer brain comes in at!  :'( :'(
Cheers
Nick

Jon

• Bulleteer
Reply #9 on: May 07, 2009, 07:47:45 pm
Thinking about it an unusually loud exhaust note and a sooty plug can be a symptom
of maladusted ignition timing which might not be all that apparent at running in speeds?