Author Topic: across America by Bullet  (Read 31217 times)

exiledcarper

• Bulleteer
on: October 01, 2007, 03:44:51 am
It's a long standing ambition of mine to one day ride across the States, coast to coast.  It seems likely that my next bike will be a Bullet, or possibly an Electra.  I'm wondering if anyone has been brave enough to go coast to coast by Enfiled?  I realise that interstates would be best avoided for such a trip, but feel it should be possible on a well set up Bullet at suitably moderate speeds.  After all, they are regularly ridden to the top of the world , on awful roads, in their country of origin.  So, has anyone done it yet?

Foggy_Auggie

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: October 01, 2007, 05:56:43 pm
Here's a route I gave an English friend who wants to do a U.S. coast to coast on a Ducati.

This route is wide TWO lane with the occasional three passing lane in mountains.  It is noted as one of the most scenic routes East of the Mississippi River (Appalachian Plateau).  Speed limits no more than 65 MPH - can tuck in behind trucks at 55 MPH.

It starts in Wash. D.C. on Pennsylvania Avenue (White House, etc) and is U.S. 50.  Best to pick it up in Maryland.
U.S. 50 West to Dodge City, Kansas.
At Dodge City take U.S. 83 South into the Texas Panhandle.
Pick up U.S. 60 West in the Panhandle.
U.S. 60 West goes through central New Mexico and Arizona.
U.S. 60 merges into Interstate 10 at the California border.
I-10 goes to Los Angeles and is typical California Kamakaze driving.  Best to use California road map and choose sensible routing.

Regards, Foggy
« Last Edit: October 01, 2007, 05:58:43 pm by Foggy_Auggie »
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.

Fortiter Et Fideliter

stipa

• Grease Monkey
Reply #2 on: October 01, 2007, 08:33:32 pm
Man, I just wish I had the TIME to do that. 

Thumper

• Psalm 23
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Classic Wannabe
Reply #3 on: October 01, 2007, 08:48:14 pm
Man, I just wish I had the TIME to do that. 

Me too!

luoma

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: October 01, 2007, 11:58:28 pm
I'm in. Just so long as my develops amnesia and forgets she's married. As far as the RE being able to do it, I don't see why not. I read an article on the Buzz section about a guy who has 44000 miles on an iron head bullet. I have nearly 5000 miles on mine and haven't had any real problems. Considering the US is not even close to being 5000 miles accross, it should be a piece of cake.

RagMan

• Bulleteer, Uralist &
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: October 02, 2007, 12:15:46 am
Given mended foot area, and fuel money, good tent, pad, and food, I would do it happily, in a heartbeat. The Bullet is very capable of doing most things, albeit slowly. Keep below 65 and it will run all day.  (with rare stops for fuel)
aka Indiana Bulleteer.
''99 Classic Bullet. '05 Ural Tourist sidecar rig, converted to 2wd. '05 Harley Davidson Sportster.
Jefferson County, WA

Thumper

• Psalm 23
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Classic Wannabe
Reply #6 on: October 03, 2007, 01:54:19 pm
So here's a thought for the adventurous:

We plan an early summer REndevous: Multi-state by nature, and a week in duration (a couple of days to and from and a couple of days riding).

Location is dermined by participants who are commited to attending.

We plot each person's starting point on the map and draw a circle to encompass everyone.
Pinpoint the center of the circle - and that's where we meet.

It would be ideal to hook up with others nearby or along the way.

Any interest in developing this into a plan?

Matt

RagMan

• Bulleteer, Uralist &
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: October 03, 2007, 02:31:52 pm
Go for it..  I would be interested - time constraints are few, with me.
aka Indiana Bulleteer.
''99 Classic Bullet. '05 Ural Tourist sidecar rig, converted to 2wd. '05 Harley Davidson Sportster.
Jefferson County, WA

Spitting Bull

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: October 05, 2007, 11:46:40 pm
Count me out.  If I joined in it would mean that the meeting-place would be somewhere in the North Atlantic.   ;D

Tom
One cylinder is enough for anyone.

Thumper

• Psalm 23
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Classic Wannabe
Reply #9 on: October 05, 2007, 11:56:49 pm

Well if it's just you and me IB, then we have to promise not to talk politics!  :D

Matt

RagMan

• Bulleteer, Uralist &
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: October 06, 2007, 06:15:02 am
I write politics.. I never talk them.
aka Indiana Bulleteer.
Jefferson County, WA

TRider

• Bulleteer
Reply #11 on: October 08, 2007, 10:32:03 pm

Count me in this adventure in 5 years.  I plan to retire at 66 and one of my plans is to see the US by motorcycle.  I don't see why a Bullet Electra wouldn't do the job.  A Royal Enfielld would just make the trip more exciting and would certainly be a conversation starter along the way. 

StL_Stadtroller

• Bulleteer
Reply #12 on: October 30, 2007, 05:42:34 pm
go for it!

In my Iron Butt riding, I clocked up somewhere north of 11,000 miles on my '01 model.
I did have a fair share of problems along the way, but an important lesson learned was that the things most likely to fail were things that I had monkeyed with myself.
KEEP IT STOCK, or as stock as possible, and you'll probably have no issues - or at least none that would end the trip.

I eventaully sold that bike, but have the itch again and am trying to get my hands on a deal for a Military Model.

I plan on attempting the IBA "Ultimate Coast to Coast" with it... Key West FL to Prudhoe Bay, AK in 30 days.

see ya on the road!
Brian Wittling, St. Louis, MO
Her Majesty's Own Royal Enfield Motoring Enthusiast Society
Member Emeritus
https://www.facebook.com/brian.wittling

Leonard

• Grand Gearhead
  • I loved this bike!!
Reply #13 on: October 30, 2007, 10:10:38 pm
go for it!

In my Iron Butt riding, I clocked up somewhere north of 11,000 miles on my '01 model.

Brian,
  Please understand that I am not challenging your IB status but the Royal Enfield Community Newsletter - September, 2006 Volume 8, Number 9 has a report on Rick Germain of Rochester, NY and his Aug '06 Saddlesore 1000 on a Bullet.  They said that they weren't aware of any other Bullets doing this.  It sounds as though you have far surpassed Germain's feat and I for one would like to see you get credit.  Can you fill us in?
REgards,
Leonard
2009 Triumph Bonneville T100
2004 Royal Enfield Sixty-5 (RIP)
2001 Kawasaki W650 (going, going...gone)
http://www.romeoriders.com

StL_Stadtroller

• Bulleteer
Reply #14 on: October 30, 2007, 11:09:28 pm
go for it!

Brian,
  Please understand that I am not challenging your IB status but the Royal Enfield Community Newsletter - September, 2006 Volume 8, Number 9 has a report on Rick Germain of Rochester, NY and his Aug '06 Saddlesore 1000 on a Bullet.  They said that they weren't aware of any other Bullets doing this.  It sounds as though you have far surpassed Germain's feat and I for one would like to see you get credit.  Can you fill us in?
REgards,
Leonard

No problem Leonard,
And thanks for filling me in on Rick's ride too - as far as I knew, I was still the only one with a RE in the IBA books. No way I'd attempt a SaddleSore on the Enfield! that's quite a feat!
My ride was the "Tour Master", chosen specifically because I would not have to push the interstate travel and could take up to a year to complete the challenge at my own pace.

As a matter of fact, as I look at the IBA ride finisher database, http://www.ironbutt.com/rides/rideslogin.cfm it still only lists one RE - mine. Did Rick not file w/the IBA for his ride?
Then again - I just noticed that it seems out of date. Anyone have a link for a current list?

A while back I was contacted by someone - who may have been Rick - seeking advice on doing an Iron Butt, he was going to try the SS1K.  I never heard from him again. Later, I heard through my dealer (Slam Dunkus) that Keven said he arrived at the REoA headquarters "looking like the bike had dragged him there, and delerious".
So I never knew if either of these guys - if they were 2 separate individuals - ever successfuly completed their rides. Since no one turned up in the IBA finishers database, I assumed not.

Anyway, from Sept 23, 2003 - Sept 23, 2004 I covered 139 parks in 27 states, and clocked somewhere between 11,000 - 13,000 miles (my speedo crapped out somewhere in the middle and had to be replaced, and I lost the slip of paper I wrote my old mileage on!)
I had a full account and pictures up on my web page www.fivehundredcc.org but that is currently down right now for a re-design.
Hopefully I will have it back up soon. 

I just discovered this forum today and am enjoying it! Hi Kevin!  8)

Hopefully I'll soon be the owner of a 07 Military and will start prepping for the "Ultimate Coast to Coast" to run pobably in the summer of '09 (I'll need that long to save up a months worth of vacation time!)

Cheers,
Brian
IBA #21846

Brian Wittling, St. Louis, MO
Her Majesty's Own Royal Enfield Motoring Enthusiast Society
Member Emeritus
https://www.facebook.com/brian.wittling