Author Topic: Buying a sprag clutch?  (Read 6525 times)

The Garbone

• Shade Tree
  • Grand Gearhead
  • User Complaints: 22
Reply #15 on: May 07, 2009, 03:21:27 pm
Quote from: Motor

If the gears and clutch were not removed, but the starter was, with a suitable block-off, would this be bad?  Seems to me that they would just be going along for the ride with nothing to cause the sprag to break due to a kick-back.  Am I missing something? 

Motor
I'm with Ace on this one,  either you fix your sprag or leave it non functional but you will have to pull your primary and remove the inner bits that are busted inside the hump or you risk locking up the primary with the bits.   :-[

Look at the bright side,  while you have the hump apart you can put loctite on the hexhead nuts that hold the back cover of the hump on...  Mine rattled loose over time and started an oil leak.  Not fun taking the entire primary drive all apart just for a few loose screws...   ;)
Gary
57' RE Crusader 250
67' Ford Mustang
74' Catalina 27 "Knot a Clew"
95 RE Ace Clubman 535
01 HD 1200 Custom
07 RE 5spd HaCK

* all actions described in this post are fictional *

jbdrury

• Scooter
Reply #16 on: May 14, 2009, 04:10:53 am
Sorry guys, one more time,

I am still unable to get my bike started and am currently going through the procedural steps in my manual for diagnosing the problem, but I wanted to be sure of something while I was at it:

I understand that I could remove the sprag clutch and still run the bike, and hopefully there aren't any pieces running around in the case now. However, if the sprag clutch is broken and still installed, is it possible that its malfunctioning is preventing the bike from starting with the kick pedal? Or should it still start - and just not run - if I'm kickstarting an otherwise perfectly good bike with a malfunctioning sprag clutch?

I hope I'm not being too confusing  ;D

The Garbone

• Shade Tree
  • Grand Gearhead
  • User Complaints: 22
Reply #17 on: May 14, 2009, 05:06:04 am
If you look at the following picture the black arrow points to bits of my sprag clutch that were floating about in my primary case...

The metal bits can get into any moving part in there cause damage.

When I removed my sprag my ES was working but it was damaged..  here is a picture of the cage and setup.. It acts like a ratchet does allowing allowing freedom of movement in only one direction,  hence kickbacks break it.

My sprag

The entire assembly resides inside the hump,  which through a wonder of engineering can not be accessed short of taking the entire primary drive off the bike.  If the thing is left in in a damaged state even if you can Kick the bike you are taking a risk....
« Last Edit: May 14, 2009, 05:08:33 am by The Garbone »
Gary
57' RE Crusader 250
67' Ford Mustang
74' Catalina 27 "Knot a Clew"
95 RE Ace Clubman 535
01 HD 1200 Custom
07 RE 5spd HaCK

* all actions described in this post are fictional *