Author Topic: delivered with upgrades?  (Read 3343 times)

exiledcarper

• Bulleteer
on: September 30, 2007, 03:29:52 am
I may be totally out of whack here, but I'm wondering if it's possible to by a new Classic ready prepared with performance ugrades from the dealership? I'm thinking of the obvious things like high output oil pumps, freeflow exhaust, carb/air filter conversions etc.  I can't see how any of these would harm the motor if done right and a proper break-in carried out, as per standard trim.  What it would do is save an expensive trip back to the dealership, for those who live far from an Enfiled dealer and also ensure that the mods were done correctly and professionally.  I wonder what CMW's and/or dealership viewpoints would be on this?  I can't help thinking that such mods would help the Bullet run much better from the get go and possibly help long term reliability.  So, am I nuts , or do I have a point?

Spitting Bull

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: September 30, 2007, 01:08:13 pm
I may be wrong, but I think that this might invalidate the warranty, especially if the parts used are non-standard parts.  I suppose the agent who fitted them might gurantee them, but I'm not sure.  I think it's true that most people wait until the warranty period has expired before doing serious conversions like that.

Tom
One cylinder is enough for anyone.

deejay

Reply #2 on: September 30, 2007, 01:50:43 pm
I may be totally out of whack here, but I'm wondering if it's possible to by a new Classic ready prepared with performance ugrades from the dealership? I'm thinking of the obvious things like high output oil pumps, freeflow exhaust, carb/air filter conversions etc.  I can't see how any of these would harm the motor if done right and a proper break-in carried out, as per standard trim.  What it would do is save an expensive trip back to the dealership, for those who live far from an Enfiled dealer and also ensure that the mods were done correctly and professionally.  I wonder what CMW's and/or dealership viewpoints would be on this?  I can't help thinking that such mods would help the Bullet run much better from the get go and possibly help long term reliability.  So, am I nuts , or do I have a point?

I'm not sure about oil pumps, but the dealer I bought my bike from offered exhaust, carb, and other upgrades, he said it would not effect the warranty if done by them. The one thing I would check out is how much experience the dealer actually has. While shopping for my bike, I was unable to find a dealer in my area that I felt confident about. I ended up buying from a reputable dealer a few states away, and had the bike shipped to me.

My bike came rejetted as they do to all their REs, the dealer told me they were set up way too lean, in his opinion, from the factory to meet emissions. The brakes were also adjusted correctly, how they got the drum brakes to grab like disks I'll never know, but they work as well as any disks I've owned (especially the front). The rest of the bike was set up properly as well.

I think it cost me $200 - $300 to get the bike delivered, which was well worth it considering the price, and prep. Check em out, or give them a call...

http://www.uncommonmotorcycles.com/

So yeah, do some dealer research, some are obviously more skilled than others.