Author Topic: tank-slapper  (Read 5537 times)

500KsGerry

• Grand Gearhead
  • Remember when decency wasn't a option?
Reply #15 on: May 04, 2009, 05:56:52 am
Blltrdr....Replaced rear tyre with a 110/90 19  Chengshien . Changed  front out to match also.    Gerry
Modified 2001 Royal Enfield bullet 500

RBHoge

• Old Bill
  • Grease Monkey
Reply #16 on: December 07, 2009, 12:14:29 am
Years ago When my Honda CB-450 and I were first getting acquainted, I experienced my first "High Speed Wobble"  I was following my friend and motorcycling mentor Mike, onto I-40 in Nashville. I passed over a rain grating and nearly bought the farm. The bike was without windshield or fairing at that time.

It really scared the s#-t out of me.  Mike advised me to avoid rain gratings and should I ever experience such a wobble again, to either let the throttle close,  lightly touch the rear brake, or lean into the handlebars,give ti more throttle and "punch through it.

Some weeks later, when I had added a Wixom Ranger fairing to the bike, I noticed that at thirty-two M.P.H. the bike would wobble gently if I took my hadns off of the handlebar. Otherwise the wobble was completely unnoticeable.  I did notice at seventy-four M.P.H. the bike would give a marked "shrug" as I accelerated through that speed. (There was nothing noticeable if I decelerated back through)  At eighty the bike hummed along like a champion. (I rode from Nashville to Atlanta a dozen or so times on that bike and only noticed a "wobble" passing through 74 or when I found myself "dancing in the @#$%! "Rain Grooves" Georgia put on every bridge.   
1972 Honda CB 450 Rufus, Murdered
1978 Triumph T-140 E, Sadly gone
2008 Royal Enfield Deluxe Iron head, " Old Bill"
1971 Honda CB-100,"Kikuchiyo"-traded
O Day 20 Sailboat "Tempus Fugative"
1992 Mazda Miata "Lady Murisaki"250,00miles!
Too many Toys, what else is retirement for?

Geirskogul

• Grand Gearhead
  • The world isn't beautiful, therefore it is.
Reply #17 on: December 07, 2009, 12:36:09 am
Only ever experienced speedmans wobble at the same type of area as RBHoge. 

Stupid cattle grooves!
All hail Sir Lucas, Prince of Darkness.

When an idiot thinks it's the same as not thinking at all!

RBHoge

• Old Bill
  • Grease Monkey
Reply #18 on: December 07, 2009, 01:51:25 am
After several bridges, I noticed that there was usually a gap in the rain groves where the grooving machine was not quite the width of the lane. this most often left a gap near the center of one lane or the other about a foot wide. I just aimed for that smooth strip. No problems from there on.
1972 Honda CB 450 Rufus, Murdered
1978 Triumph T-140 E, Sadly gone
2008 Royal Enfield Deluxe Iron head, " Old Bill"
1971 Honda CB-100,"Kikuchiyo"-traded
O Day 20 Sailboat "Tempus Fugative"
1992 Mazda Miata "Lady Murisaki"250,00miles!
Too many Toys, what else is retirement for?