Author Topic: Tire change  (Read 2164 times)

splitcane

• Scooter
on: April 25, 2009, 03:17:55 am
I put a few miles on the Bullet today and ended up with a flat rear tire.  Fortunately I was pulling into a friends driveway to show off my new RE so it wasn't that bad...no roadside calls for help.  As of now it's in his garage and I'm planning on going over at at about 8am to fix it.  I have a new tube, I've just never changed a rear tire.  Tomorrow is supposed to be sunny and 85 so I'm more than motivated to get it done.  Any thoughts or advice to help make it go smoothly will be appreciated....I am riding a 2004 Classic es....Thanks.

pknopp

• Bulleteer
Reply #1 on: April 25, 2009, 04:03:27 am
 I don't know if the rear wheel on yours is any different than on my 2000. If not, it comes off very easily. You should be able to have the wheel off in no time.

A proper bike stand makes things soooo much easier. I was able to do it with a milk crate though.

It seems that the tool that comes with the bike to remove the tire has much to be desired. Taking the tire off is more work than taking the wheel off. I wasn't in the mood when mine went flat and had a local dealer pull the tire. I've been able in the past on different bikes been able to change out the tube without actually completely removing the tire. Just get one side off and slip the tube in.
2000 Dlx

The Garbone

• Shade Tree
  • Grand Gearhead
  • User Complaints: 22
Reply #2 on: April 25, 2009, 12:22:05 pm
Hey I got a flat last night,  had to do the haul home in the truck thing.  Changing the tire today..  Only 250 miles since my last flat so its either bad luck or I missed something.

If you have help just remove the castle nut, pull the pin and lean the bike over to 45 deg and you should be able to pull the tire right out.   Otherwise you will have to lift it a bit or loosen the fender bolts and swing the fender out of the way (something I have heard of but never done).

I use a little soap on my tire spoons and I have aftermarket spoons also,  as they make it much easier.
Gary
57' RE Crusader 250
67' Ford Mustang
74' Catalina 27 "Knot a Clew"
95 RE Ace Clubman 535
01 HD 1200 Custom
07 RE 5spd HaCK

* all actions described in this post are fictional *

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #3 on: April 25, 2009, 02:30:30 pm
If you've never used tire spoons, you use one as a lever to pull the tire bead up over the rim, and use the other spoon to hold the tire bead up there, and lever the next section up and over the rim. Sometimes you can tap the lever spoon sideways, to make some progress too.
You work your way around the rim this way, until you  have brought the tire bead up over the rim half-way around the wheel. Once you get more than half done, the tire can be more easily wiggled and levered over the rim.
Only do a little at a time, and work methodically.
Try very hard not to bend the rim or chip the chrome.
Some lube can help.

It's not too hard, but it takes some time.

When you re-install, get the tube in nice and flat, and make sure that you don't pinch the tube with the spoons, or get it caught under the tire bead as you are finishing putting on your tire. Otherwise, you'll have a flat tire again when you're finished, and you'll have to do it again to replace the tube you cut.

Check your rim tape or replace it when you have the tire off. If it has wear or holes in it, the spokes can rub a hole in the tube and cause a flat.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2009, 02:34:27 pm by ace.cafe »
Home of the Fireball 535 !

Vince

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: April 25, 2009, 03:23:49 pm
     Your rim had a drop center. Look at the spokes. They come out of the rim in the center channel. This drop center of the rim plays an important part in the tire change. While you foll Ace's instructions make sure that on the opposite side of the rim from where you are working you push the bead down into the center of this channel. This allows the tire to move over, allowing an extra bit of slack. You will find it easier to use your tools when you don't have to fight the bead.
     When installing the new tube I pump it up and deflate it a couple of times before I start to mount the bead. This will eliminate a fold that will cause trouble later. I then pump the tube up until it is just round. As I install the bead I let a little air out as I go so I am not fighting the tube. With the tube pumped up you can see and feel if you are catching it with the tire iron. I seldom pinch a tube with this method.

The Garbone

• Shade Tree
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: April 25, 2009, 05:34:17 pm
Now with pictures.....

Fiddled around and its pretty easy to pull the entire tire without leaning the bike. 

Loosen the bottom and top bolts and just swivel the fender up...

Bottom bolt

Top bolt

Tire removed

Another good reason to have a separate solo saddle and pillion.

Gary
57' RE Crusader 250
67' Ford Mustang
95 RE Ace Clubman 535
01 HD 1200 Custom
07 RE 5spd HaCK

mrunderhill1975a

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: April 25, 2009, 09:49:25 pm
In addition to what has been said already, I find that using some dish soap slathered along the bead makes the bead easier to pop off the rim.  If you have three hands you can use three tire spoons which makes thing go faster.

splitcane

• Scooter
Reply #7 on: April 27, 2009, 02:45:22 pm
Well the tire came off pretty easy...just like everyone said.  Remove the nuts and tilt the bike to the left and out it came.  I was able to remove the tire from the rim and then get it back on with the spoons that came in the RE tool kit but I did end up pinching the tube.  So I wrestled it off again, patched the tube and then carefully got the tire back on the rim.  Unfortunately this whole process amounted to two tire changes and my spoons are now pretty much worthless.  I read on the forum here somewhere that they would end up bending after 2 or more uses.  I guess I learned my lesson but hey, now I know I can do it alone on the side of the road if need be.  Does anyone have any suggestions for a good brand of new spoons?   If so, please let me know where I could pick them up.  As always thanks for all of the advice.  ...

The Garbone

• Shade Tree
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: April 27, 2009, 04:47:52 pm
I bought 2 generic spoons at the local bike shop and cut up my old tube to wrap them in,  used a rubber band (also made from the old tube) to hold em tight, now they don't rattle.
Gary
57' RE Crusader 250
67' Ford Mustang
95 RE Ace Clubman 535
01 HD 1200 Custom
07 RE 5spd HaCK

Leonard

• Grand Gearhead
  • I loved this bike!!
Reply #9 on: April 27, 2009, 05:08:43 pm
  I carry a spare tube when traveling but i guess that wouldn't help if I pinched the tube.  Would a bicycle patching kit work OK on the MC tube?
  My last long ride we had one of those CO2 cartridge inflaters, fortunately we didn't have to try it out.  What are some other options for an air pump that have worked out OK when on the road?
2009 Triumph Bonneville T100
2004 Royal Enfield Sixty-5 (RIP)
2001 Kawasaki W650 (going, going...gone)
http://www.romeoriders.com

pknopp

• Bulleteer
Reply #10 on: April 27, 2009, 09:00:11 pm
 Back when I was a kid we used to patch our dirt bike tubes all the time with bicycle tire patches. It's what we had. They worked fine.

Today though, I'd likely replace the tube after getting back home.
2000 Dlx