Author Topic: C5 Impressions and question about gas light.  (Read 8189 times)

JamesC5

• Bulleteer
on: April 24, 2009, 08:12:22 pm
Hey All!

Sorry it's taken a while but I finally got to start riding the C5 this week!

Not only does she turn alot of heads parked up but on the road the throaty sound and classic looks get alot of attention. I seem to be stopped at least afew times a day by people asking about the bike, especially older chaps who remember owning Enfields in years gone by.

I'm no bike expert, going from a Honda I've noticed some quirks with the RE but it's part of the charm, and learning how a new bike ticks is part of the fun.

Perhaps if I had owned previous Enfields I could give a more specific breakdown on performance but I'll try to answer anyones questions as best I can.

I know a couple of people have asked to have a photo of me on the bike to show how the bike sits with weight on it and I'll get that done soon as I can, probably over the weekend.

Now for those in the know about the new UCEs, I have a question. Tonight I started to notice that sometimes while using the front break the petrol indicator lamp has been flashing up briefly. Previous to tonight I've not ridden at night on the C5 so I'm not sure if this is regular and I just didn't notice or if it's an indicator of a problem or a lose connector. Does anyone have any idea? It's also flashed up going down hill with the engine breaking.
2009 Royal Enfield Bullet Classic C5
1951 Royal Enfield RE2 http://www.enfieldmotorcycles.com/forum/index.php/topic,4701.0.html
1989 XJ900 Custom Chopper

Marrtyn

• Bulleteer
Reply #1 on: April 24, 2009, 08:56:55 pm
This may seem a bit of a daft response, but I assume that it is not running on or very near to reserve, this low fuel light comes on with about 3.5 litres of petrol left in the tank ( on the G5 DL). The hand book says not to run for long with the light on continuously.( don't know what happens if your miles from anywhere)
Regards Martyn

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #2 on: April 24, 2009, 09:02:33 pm
My guess is that when braking, the fuel sloshes away from the fuel sensor, and causes the light to come on.
Home of the Fireball 535 !

JamesC5

• Bulleteer
Reply #3 on: April 24, 2009, 09:08:12 pm
I've thought about that, could be that the tanks got less juice and when I've been breaking tonight it's been on a hill (Devon England = HILLS) so I'm gonna go fill her up tomorrow and see if that remedies it.

1951 Royal Enfield RE2 http://www.enfieldmotorcycles.com/forum/index.php/topic,4701.0.html

Bullet Bill

• Scooter
Reply #4 on: April 25, 2009, 01:47:00 am
I'm sure RE will fix this fuel indicator issue in time, but I'm a little confused.  Why didn't they stick with the usual reserve system?  If it isn't broken...
There's something that doesn't make sense... let's go and poke it with a stick.

drooartz

• Neophyte
Reply #5 on: April 25, 2009, 03:09:56 am
Can't use a reserve setup with fuel injection -- it's not good to run a fuel injected system out of fuel.

Bullet Bill

• Scooter
Reply #6 on: April 25, 2009, 07:34:11 am
My mistake, but I thought that somehow even Harley had managed to keep the reserve system.  Never noticed a fuel light on them.  Bah, but I'm ignorant.  Auto mechanics courses, here I come!
There's something that doesn't make sense... let's go and poke it with a stick.

UK-Classics

• Bulleteer
Reply #7 on: April 25, 2009, 06:07:03 pm
Hopefully it will just be the reduced fuel sloshing around on those lovely hills you have down there!

How many miles have you on her now James?
The black C5 looks (& sounds) great out on the road - easily mistaken by most as an old bike at first glance.

Hows the running in period going?
Cheers
Nick

drooartz

• Neophyte
Reply #8 on: April 26, 2009, 06:18:30 pm
I could certainly be wrong, Bill, but that's what I've read/seen on fuel injected bikes. I might even just be that there is now a fuel pump instead of the gravity feed petcock.

I always reserve the right to be wrong. :)

Kevin Mahoney

• Gotten my hands dirty on bikes more than once -
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Cozy Sidecar distributor/former Royal Enfield dist
Reply #9 on: April 27, 2009, 04:11:50 am
The fuel pump uses fuel to keep the pump cool, hence the low fuel light. When it comes on you have plenty of time to get petrol, just don't ignore it until you run out.
Best Regards,
Kevin Mahoney
www.cyclesidecar.com

UK-Classics

• Bulleteer
Reply #10 on: May 07, 2009, 09:48:50 pm
James - how's the C5 going & how many miles on the clock?>

Having only had a brief test ride there seems to be some issues coming up in other forums about the light front wheel steering - I'm sure your only doing slow speeds but have you noticed any issues?
Cheers
Nick

Rusty

• Bulleteer
Reply #11 on: May 07, 2009, 10:38:20 pm
Having only had a brief test ride there seems to be some issues coming up in other forums about the light front wheel steering

Interesting that, when I had a test ride I took it up to 70 briefly and the steering started to wobble, it was quite easy to induce at 60'ish. I put it down to road surface/me being a bit lardy and assumed that adjusting the rear shocks would help, didn't think much of it at the time.

UK-Classics

• Bulleteer
Reply #12 on: May 08, 2009, 08:16:59 am
Having only had a brief test ride there seems to be some issues coming up in other forums about the light front wheel steering

Interesting that, when I had a test ride I took it up to 70 briefly and the steering started to wobble, it was quite easy to induce at 60'ish. I put it down to road surface/me being a bit lardy and assumed that adjusting the rear shocks would help, didn't think much of it at the time.

Rusty - yes, v interesting. I thought you had the E5 rather than C5 - was it the C5 you were talking about that had the wobble? There have been no such issyes with the 19" wheeled electra framed EFI bikes.  A few different people on a number of forums have picked up on this after test rides at different locations. It seems strange if this is a common fault as the C5 bikes have been ragged round test tracks at higher speeds than this.

I guess it could be something simple such as tyre pressure or maybe even the choice of tyres fitted front & rear.  :-\ I guess there should be some answers coming up from dealers in the UK. (I was actually going for a better test ride this weekend & was looking forward to putting an order in - I'm sure if there is an issue it will be quickly sorted but I'll await an answer before splashing the cash)
« Last Edit: May 08, 2009, 08:21:33 am by UK-Classics »
Cheers
Nick

JamesC5

• Bulleteer
Reply #13 on: May 08, 2009, 10:06:42 am
Hey All!

Sorry for the lack of posts, been hectic as always. I'm slowly going through the break-in, but have not had the time for a nice long ride. Currently she's at 150 miles. Hopefully the weather will be decent this weekend so I can clock many more on the C5.

Thats interesting / worrying about the shake. The most I've had her up to is 45 as I've just been riding locally. Ride on the whole is getting better, but that could just be me getting more used to it.

I've been hearing some friction at slower speeds or while coasting with the clutch in, so I'm going to try lube, wouldn't think it would be necessary with so few miles but if it's not that then I'll have to take her 60+ miles to the dealer.

While at the BMAD bike show last weekend, Torre Motorcycles had a black C5 with the rear pillion pad, made me happy to just have nothing back there.

Edit:
Forgot to mention, the break light issue was solved with a trip to the petrol station! Even though I had a fair bit of petrol left I guess the placement of the sensor + hills caused it.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2009, 10:08:24 am by JamesC5 »

UK-Classics

• Bulleteer
Reply #14 on: May 08, 2009, 12:11:43 pm
Hey All!

Sorry for the lack of posts, been hectic as always. I'm slowly going through the break-in, but have not had the time for a nice long ride. Currently she's at 150 miles. Hopefully the weather will be decent this weekend so I can clock many more on the C5.

Thats interesting / worrying about the shake. The most I've had her up to is 45 as I've just been riding locally. Ride on the whole is getting better, but that could just be me getting more used to it.

I've been hearing some friction at slower speeds or while coasting with the clutch in, so I'm going to try lube, wouldn't think it would be necessary with so few miles but if it's not that then I'll have to take her 60+ miles to the dealer.

While at the BMAD bike show last weekend, Torre Motorcycles had a black C5 with the rear pillion pad, made me happy to just have nothing back there.

Edit:
Forgot to mention, the break light issue was solved with a trip to the petrol station! Even though I had a fair bit of petrol left I guess the placement of the sensor + hills caused

James - Good to get an update from you. Is your first dealer service at 300 miles?
It's a fairly long break in but I guess things will loosen up after about the first 1000 miles - the UCE engine comments have so far been very good from all those who have ridden the bike. It could be a number of simple things ref the friction - if it's not too bad I'm sure the dealer will sort it on your forthcomimg service.

The 'pillion add on' fits neatly onto the tubeler bracket hidden under your single seat. Its quite a neat idea but don't think the bike looks great without someone sitting on it.
keep us posted
cheers

Cheers
Nick