Author Topic: UCE (G5) riders?  (Read 5320 times)

swakefield

• Scooter
Reply #15 on: April 27, 2009, 02:07:35 am
Seems almost unanimous!  I think you've all made  pretty good recommendations.  Thanks.

I love my iron thumper, but my buddy doesn't want to tinker.  It sounds like this would be a good bike for him.

Any word on when the C5 will be available?

cyrusb, "living antique" describes the "old" bike perfectly.
2000 Bullet Classic
Royal Enfield Association Member

t120rbullet

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #16 on: April 27, 2009, 02:41:43 am
Modern UCE, I think that's great, but I did not buy an 05 iron classic for power. There is no comparison between the two. The UCE is just another modern single, pressure cast cases, unit construction,etc,etc. Gone are the primitive details, that I suspect drew many buyers to the original bullet in the first place. As I said ,I think the UCE is good, But I would never trade my living antique for another 10 mph.

I would never get rid of my 99 either. It"s secured it's spot as my all-time favorite bike.
But it is getting old and I need a bike to ride to the REunions I go to so I'll quit showing up on my Harley. Ain't worth the grief I get over it.  Worse than trailering an Enfield!
So, the G5 is going to be my "touring" Enfield. 3,400 miles between the 2 rally's, one time every year until it dies.
Best part is when your riding it, it looks, feels and handles like a Bullet.
Close enough for me. 
The extra 10 mph never factored into the decision but like the Extenze commercial said, the increse in size was fun too!
My "Irons" will continue to be my workhorse's around SE Michigan. Got enough spares and parts to keep them running at least for the rest of my life.
CJ
« Last Edit: April 27, 2009, 09:18:20 pm by t120rbullet »
1972 FLH "Sambo"
1999 Enfield 500 Black Deluxe "Silver"
2023 Guzzi V7 Special "BOB"

baird4444

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2003 ES 500... 38,416 miles, I'm done
Reply #17 on: April 27, 2009, 04:03:36 am
Posted by: t120rbullet ...
"But it is getting old and I need a bike to ride to the REunions I go to so I'll quit showing up on my Harley. Ain't worth the grief I get over it. Worst than trailering an Enfield!"

Ouch... 
          very subtle...      - Mike
'My dear you are ugly,
 but tomorrow I shall be sober and you will still be ugly'
 - Winston Churchill

t120rbullet

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #18 on: April 27, 2009, 04:17:40 am
    Ouch... 
          very subtle...      - Mike

Thank you!
No offense intended of course ;)
1972 FLH "Sambo"
1999 Enfield 500 Black Deluxe "Silver"
2023 Guzzi V7 Special "BOB"

ScooterBob

• Grand Gearhead
  • Yeah - I get it ....
Reply #19 on: April 27, 2009, 02:48:07 pm
Modern UCE, I think that's great, but I did not buy an 05 iron classic for power. There is no comparison between the two. The UCE is just another modern single, pressure cast cases, unit construction,etc,etc. Gone are the primitive details, that I suspect drew many buyers to the original bullet in the first place. As I said ,I think the UCE is good, But I would never trade my living antique for another 10 mph.

Make no mistake here - for as "modern and wonderful" as the UCE is - it's still an Enfield! No other "modern single" (read Japper-Knees here ...) has the long stroke and the pig iron crank that gives the Enfield "the Beat". It's just a natural progression from Iron to AVL to UCE. I, too, am a dedicated Iron Barrel fan - but if you don't tinker and want an Enfield - this is the bike for you. It will open up the Enfield line to a LOT of folks who liked the Enfields - but weren't sure if they could keep one under 'em or not. There may even be one in my future .... you know - just to RIDE?  ;D
Spare the pig iron - spoil the part!

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #20 on: April 27, 2009, 03:31:28 pm
I think the new UCE was designed with the intention of pulling in a wider group of potential owners, and that's what it will do.
I expect the new bikes to draw in owners who've never even considered buying a Royal Enfield before, and possibly don't even know about the old Bullets.
I seriously doubt that there will be many "trade-ins" of older Bullets for new UCE bikes. I think the old Bullet owners are going to hang on to their old Bullets, because we're a bunch of die-hards that like our old iron.

I think we'll be seeing quite an expansion in our forum membership here because of the addition of the new UCE bikes.
I fully expect the UCE forum to become the most active of all the forums here, in the relatively near future.
The luddites like myself will be hanging around the Classic Bullet forum, just dying for somebody to come on there with a timing question, or a question about jetting.
But, I've schooled-up a bit on the UCE stuff, with help from Kevin, so I can try to be of some help to them if they need it.

Now, all I need is for Kevin to send me a C5(any color, beggars can't be choosers) so that I can be riding one, and be expertly experienced and prepared to answer all questions on the forum!
Are you listening, Kevin? ;D
I think it would look great standing next to my old black Deluxe. ;)
Home of the Fireball 535 !

ScooterBob

• Grand Gearhead
  • Yeah - I get it ....
Reply #21 on: April 27, 2009, 09:14:50 pm
ACE - You may get number three ..... All the whining, moaning and gnashing of teeth that I've done lately might qualify me for number two (maybe ... perhaps) ..... you KNOW where the first one is going .... heeheehee!!   ;D
Spare the pig iron - spoil the part!

Geirskogul

• Grand Gearhead
  • The world isn't beautiful, therefore it is.
Reply #22 on: April 28, 2009, 04:24:03 am
wait so are we yea or nay on the military UCE?  By August I'll have about 6k burning a very big hole in my pocket.
All hail Sir Lucas, Prince of Darkness.

When an idiot thinks it's the same as not thinking at all!