Author Topic: G5-E5  (Read 13037 times)

Bullet Bill

• Scooter
Reply #15 on: April 24, 2009, 02:41:32 am
...Does a bike even exist for a guy that tall?  Boss Hoss, maybe?
There's something that doesn't make sense... let's go and poke it with a stick.

holodeck

• Bulleteer
Reply #16 on: April 24, 2009, 07:23:03 am
Bullet Bill, I'm wilth you on the looks of the C 5 .
As I understand, it was based on a 250, and with the 18" tires that is just what it looks like, a 250. It just dosen't have the lean mean look of the old bullet classic.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2009, 07:32:21 am by holodeck »

UK-Classics

• Bulleteer
Reply #17 on: April 24, 2009, 07:56:52 am
It's a possibility.  I'm still working out the kinks, but my current plan is based around the G-5 because the parts are already available.  Also, I'm kickstart-crazy.  As usual, though, the best course of action seems to be to watch, and wait patiently.

...but I want one nooooooooooow!

EDIT:  Also, there's just something about the proportions of the C-5 that offends me.  I don't know for certain what it is, and it probably doesn't make any real sense, but my gut instinct is to go for the G-5.

Bill - I think I fall into the same category as you - I was really disappointed to find they had left the kick off the C5 - especially when they went to all the trouble in making it 1950's authentic. It's a minor point but I probably would have put my order in for one if it had had the kick. Without the kick it just ends up being another 'tribute' bike like the new Bonnie ------- I might come round to living without the kick but it would have been such a nice finish -- maybe they should have done some more customer research outside India
Cheers
Nick

Bullet Bill

• Scooter
Reply #18 on: April 24, 2009, 08:24:39 am
Personally, I don't see the harm in having the kick start as a sort of under-the-radar option on these bikes.  I know RE doesn't want to scare away the newcomers and the commuters, but just making the bike a bring-your-own-lever (BYOL?) affair would've been nice.

EDIT:  Actually, that's a pretty funny idea when you think about it.  "Shh!  Don't let 'em know it's actually vintage!"
« Last Edit: April 24, 2009, 08:28:24 am by Bullet Bill »

Rusty

• Bulleteer
Reply #19 on: April 24, 2009, 02:22:51 pm
Rusty is the DL version the same as the E-5 version that was the query of this thread?

No I don't think it is. From the pictures I've seen of the G5 on this site it's a much nicer looking bike than the Electra DL.

http://www.royal-enfield.com/electraimages.html

It's a personal thing I just think that valenced painted mudguards suit the road models better than skinny chrome ones. If we got the G5 over here I'd be tempted, it would be about £500 cheaper than the C5 Classic.

Blltrdr

• Grand Gearhead
  • cycle-delic music
Reply #20 on: April 24, 2009, 02:45:05 pm
Rusty is the DL version the same as the E-5 version that was the query of this thread?

No I don't think it is. From the pictures I've seen of the G5 on this site it's a much nicer looking bike than the Electra DL.

Rusty, you need to read the very first post of this thread to understand my question. Exiledcarpenter referred to the European market UCE as an E-5. Is it actually referred to as a DL or is there an E model that is sold over there also? It just get's a little confusing, maybe somebody can clarify the model designations used in Europe for the new UCE models.

Blltrdr
2003 Classic 500 5 spd
2009 HD FLHT Police 103 6 spd
1992 Kawasaki ZG 1200 Voyager XII

Rusty

• Bulleteer
Reply #21 on: April 24, 2009, 07:56:52 pm
Rusty, you need to read the very first post of this thread to understand my question. Exiledcarpenter referred to the European market UCE as an E-5. Blltrdr

I'm very sorry for not reading the question properly.

I'd assumed the 'E' meant Electra and so that was the Euro equivalent of the G5. Anyway my dealer has the red C5 in stock now and I'll be going to view tomorrow, I'll ask him then. Googling E-5 came up with some good chess moves but no Enfields.

Bullet Bill

• Scooter
Reply #22 on: April 24, 2009, 08:48:32 pm
Here's the rundown as I understand it:

Both the U.S. and the U.K. get the C-5 model.  Same colors, same frame, same fenders.

The G-5 Bullet is a U.S. exclusive.  It uses an old Electra frame with a 350 front mudguard and a pinstriped paint job.  This also comes in a Deluxe version that has a chrome side cover, tank, and fenders.  The fenders are still the larger 350 size.

The E-5 Bullet is a U.K. exclusive.  This one, like the G-5, shares the Electra frame, but it doesn't bother with any Bullet Classic styling cues.  It has the Electra's paint jobs, fenders, etc.  Everything is the same as on the Electra model except for the motor, which is, of course, the kicker UCE model.  This, like the G-5, comes with a Deluxe version, which is exactly the same as a G-5 Deluxe, but with an all-chrome engine block and a skinner front mudguard (still chrome).

As far as I know, that's all five of this year's models, minus the conversion kits.  The C-5, two G-5's, and two E-5's, the latter four of which all share the same frame.

UK-Classics

• Bulleteer
Reply #23 on: April 25, 2009, 06:15:44 pm
Here's the rundown as I understand it:

Both the U.S. and the U.K. get the C-5 model.  Same colors, same frame, same fenders.

The G-5 Bullet is a U.S. exclusive.  It uses an old Electra frame with a 350 front mudguard and a pinstriped paint job.  This also comes in a Deluxe version that has a chrome side cover, tank, and fenders.  The fenders are still the larger 350 size.

The E-5 Bullet is a U.K. exclusive.  This one, like the G-5, shares the Electra frame, but it doesn't bother with any Bullet Classic styling cues.  It has the Electra's paint jobs, fenders, etc.  Everything is the same as on the Electra model except for the motor, which is, of course, the kicker UCE model.  This, like the G-5, comes with a Deluxe version, which is exactly the same as a G-5 Deluxe, but with an all-chrome engine block and a skinner front mudguard (still chrome).

As far as I know, that's all five of this year's models, minus the conversion kits.  The C-5, two G-5's, and two E-5's, the latter four of which all share the same frame.

Bill - Yes, I think that's about how I undertand it. Within the UK I think Watsonian will be releasing the Trial & Cafe Clubman variants later this year - think they are all based on the electra efi (that we seem to be calling the E5) ;)
Cheers
Nick