Author Topic: high capacity oil pump  (Read 5884 times)

cochi

• Grease Monkey
on: September 28, 2007, 06:08:11 pm
Since all of you gave great me advice on my "flexible transmission cover" I need to get the collective wisdom from all of you regarding the high capcity oil pump. I've had my 03 Classic since new and have 7,000 miles on it. I've preformed the standard mods ie, free flow exhaust, pancake filter,  electronic ignition and carb rejetting. I've been lately considering the high capacity pump. I've read up on servicing the pump and I was wondering if it was mandatory to remove  the timing cover or if it was possible to change the pumps with the cover on.? Also,  is it mandatory to lap in the new pumps?    Thanks Cochi

dogbone

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: September 28, 2007, 06:41:43 pm
More is usually better.  I have already had a failure of the worm drive for the pump. Some articles mention this is a high wear part.  More volume/ more strain.   
99 Enfield Bullet 535
a man isn't drunk,if he can lie on the floor without hanging on

cochi

• Grease Monkey
Reply #2 on: September 28, 2007, 07:40:52 pm
Thanks Dogbone. I never considered the extra strain caused by the extra volume! Hope there was'nt too much damage to your bike.  cochi

DaveG297

• Bulleteer
Reply #3 on: September 30, 2007, 10:32:03 pm
My 02 bulllet came with bad oil pump and the dealer made good but changed to the HO pump without telling me.....SO, I ordered the HO pump and promptly found out I already had one.   Traded it for a Pete CD which is very good.   HO pump hasn't broken down anything,,,,,,,,,,,,,,yet but seems to work ok......DG

dogbone

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: October 01, 2007, 02:57:36 pm
When the drive gear went bad, It still must have been turning a little, I drove home 5 miles.
If you did a lot of high speed driving, it may be worth a pump gear or two. In an air cooled engine, the oil does a lot of the cooling. lighter grades of oil actually cool better, the oil runs off  parts faster. However with a plain big end , the thick oil (20w50) is required. 
99 Enfield Bullet 535
a man isn't drunk,if he can lie on the floor without hanging on

Leonard

• Grand Gearhead
  • I loved this bike!!
Reply #5 on: October 02, 2007, 07:37:29 pm
No, you don't have to remove the timing cover change the pumps, however it is my understanding that they work better if lapped in.  Lapping of course would require removal of the timing cover. 
I tried the high capcity pumps (without lapping) and my oil consumption went up considerably.  Maybe it was because of not lapping or maybe leaky guides but when I switched back everything was OK again and I re-thought my need for the high capcity.  My feeling is that unless you have done considerable modification to the engine, high compression, etc.  you probably don't need different oil pumps.  My '04 has over 12,000 miles now and has endured three Kansas summers with no ill effects.  I understand that it gets pretty hot in India too.  So I question the neccessity for the high capcity pumps and that's my 2 cents.
--Leonard

Since all of you gave great me advice on my "flexible transmission cover" I need to get the collective wisdom from all of you regarding the high capcity oil pump. I've had my 03 Classic since new and have 7,000 miles on it. I've preformed the standard mods ie, free flow exhaust, pancake filter,  electronic ignition and carb rejetting. I've been lately considering the high capacity pump. I've read up on servicing the pump and I was wondering if it was mandatory to remove  the timing cover or if it was possible to change the pumps with the cover on.? Also,  is it mandatory to lap in the new pumps?    Thanks Cochi
2009 Triumph Bonneville T100
2004 Royal Enfield Sixty-5 (RIP)
2001 Kawasaki W650 (going, going...gone)
http://www.romeoriders.com

cochi

• Grease Monkey
Reply #6 on: October 02, 2007, 08:31:13 pm
Leonard thanks for the reply. I'm thinking of eventually getting a Cozy Side Car and a the "535" kit. I will hold off on the pump till I'm ready for the Cozy. By the way, I saw the photo of your Bullet, nice set up, great seats! cochi :D :D