Author Topic: When will we start to see C5's in the USA?  (Read 12819 times)

UK-Classics

• Bulleteer
Reply #15 on: April 29, 2009, 08:24:35 am

The Bonnie frames are made over in Twaiwan  :)
Sorry to hear it. Wish they were made in the good ole GB.

Yes - we don't actually make much at all over here anymore - a few foriegn car plants that have been very productive - unfortunatly many workers have been laid off for a few months as car sales have dropped.

I actually meant to say the frames for the new Bonnie are made in Thailand - If these guys (the likes of Triumph, RE & even BMW now) are going to charge premium prices you would have thought the manufacturers would have made sure they were up to a certain qaulity control standard are applied for the bikes supplied to the european & US markets !

« Last Edit: April 29, 2009, 08:26:30 am by UK-Classics »
Cheers
Nick

Blue Ridge Wheeltor

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #16 on: April 29, 2009, 01:34:09 pm
I cringed when I first heard the Triumph Classic line was being built in Thailand. But I understand it is a state of the art factory and I thought I read somewhere certain Kawasakis were being built in Thailand. At least it's not China. (yet).
I have spoken with a number of Bonnie owners and while they don't advertise where they are made, they admit the quality is just fine.
Generally, the quality and pride of workmanship of the Brit manufacturer has been very low for a number of years now, and the bike is probably better off being made in Thailand, traditions aside.
When asked about the Enfield I proudly announce it is a classic British design, from back when men were men and motorcycles were motorcycles. It is with great reluctance that I admit it is made in India. I shouldn't be that way. The more I learn about India and its' people the more I feel an affinity with them. I never would have felt this had I not involved myself with the Enfield.
Beinf a traditionalist, I lamented the introduction of the new Enfield. Now I look at it and realize it's not bad, and I may actually learn to like it. Just wish it had a kickstart.
REA #25
2008 Royal Enfield Deluxe (Blue)
2006 Ural Patrol
1978 BMW R 100s--SOLD--
1977 HD XLCR
1971 Triumph Bonneville

UK-Classics

• Bulleteer
Reply #17 on: April 29, 2009, 08:31:13 pm
I cringed when I first heard the Triumph Classic line was being built in Thailand. But I understand it is a state of the art factory and I thought I read somewhere certain Kawasakis were being built in Thailand. At least it's not China. (yet).
I have spoken with a number of Bonnie owners and while they don't advertise where they are made, they admit the quality is just fine.
Generally, the quality and pride of workmanship of the Brit manufacturer has been very low for a number of years now, and the bike is probably better off being made in Thailand, traditions aside.
When asked about the Enfield I proudly announce it is a classic British design, from back when men were men and motorcycles were motorcycles. It is with great reluctance that I admit it is made in India. I shouldn't be that way. The more I learn about India and its' people the more I feel an affinity with them. I never would have felt this had I not involved myself with the Enfield.
Beinf a traditionalist, I lamented the introduction of the new Enfield. Now I look at it and realize it's not bad, and I may actually learn to like it. Just wish it had a kickstart.

I disagree on your comment about Brit workmanship. It has had it’s up’s & down over the years. Much of the problems were to do with the unions imposing antiquated practices, closed shops etc. It’s a shame as we had some brilliant design engineers – just were a bit poor in final production. Quality & quantity of production suffered as a result. All of that went some years ago, what we have left is efficient & generally produces quality products.

India has been renown for it’s top quality engineers for many years – but factories are only just putting modern production tools & practices in place (e.g. new UCE) – when you are producing things by hand (wherever in the world) the quality is variable & inconsistent.
Cheers
Nick

jeffory

• Scooter
Reply #18 on: May 11, 2009, 01:41:47 am
Hello all. First time here. Saw the C5 in a magazine and thats all it took. Had to add it to the stable. It's all paid for at Freedom Power Sports.  Fl.  Richard  especially..Those guys are great. Can't wait. Think i,ll put it in the house for a while and admire it. Jeff

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
  • R.I.P Papa Juan, Uncle Ernie
Reply #19 on: May 11, 2009, 01:52:23 am
Welcome Jeffory, What color did you order? I'm waiting on a red one myself, and can't wait till they get here.
On the eighth day God created the C5, and it was better looking than anything on the planet.
Iron Butt Association

Kevin Mahoney

• Gotten my hands dirty on bikes more than once -
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Cozy Sidecar distributor/former Royal Enfield dist
Reply #20 on: May 11, 2009, 04:53:59 am
I have seen a bunch of Red ones here at the factory. Hard to say which one is best. What I can tell you with absolute certainty is that the C-5's are going to be in tight supply. Europe has had priority over us because they cannot sell the Lean Burns any longer. With the factory at full capacity we have to fight for every one we get. Our first shipment (half a container of C-5's and half of G-5's is on the water now. 4 weeks about I would guess.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2009, 05:55:43 am by Kevin Mahoney »
Best Regards,
Kevin Mahoney
www.cyclesidecar.com

jeffory

• Scooter
Reply #21 on: May 11, 2009, 05:50:32 pm
I ordered the Blue. or turquoise as they say.  I thought it looked old school.   I wonder about the passenger foot pegs. Can 2 people actually fit comfortably on the solo saddle. I saw the pic of 5 people on one but thats extreme. Jeff

jeffory

• Scooter
Reply #22 on: May 11, 2009, 06:14:50 pm
I want to thank Kevin for being right on top of things and keeping us informed. That kind of service from the top down can only be described as rare and wonderful. THANKS KEVIN. jeff

Kevin Mahoney

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #23 on: May 11, 2009, 06:38:43 pm
Jeffory,
Thanks for the kind words. I dare say that no more than one American can sit on the single saddle. There will be a very nice matching pillion available about mid summer.
Best Regards,
Kevin Mahoney
www.cyclesidecar.com

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #24 on: May 11, 2009, 10:42:14 pm
Approximately four weeks? Oh man I can see light at the end of the tunnel now! Thanks Kevin you just made my millennium.
On the eighth day God created the C5, and it was better looking than anything on the planet.
Iron Butt Association

jeffory

• Scooter
Reply #25 on: May 12, 2009, 02:05:02 am
Can someone tell me why I see  2 different types of mufflers on the C5. In all the advertisements it shows the exhaust going up in the back but the pics I see of the bikes shows the muffler as straight as an arrow.  thanks. Jeff. west palm beach, florida.

Cabo Cruz

• Papa Juan
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #26 on: May 12, 2009, 02:13:19 am
Br. Jeffory, the up-swept pipe and muffler are after-market items and the long-straight muffler is the original equipment.
Long live the Bullets and those who ride them!

Keep the shiny side up, the boots on the pegs and best REgards,

Papa Juan

REA:    Member No. 119
BIKE:   2004 Royal Enfield Sixty-5
NAME: Perla

Kevin Mahoney

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #27 on: June 19, 2009, 08:24:28 pm
OK boys I'm gonna throw you a bone.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2009, 08:27:05 pm by Kevin Mahoney »
Best Regards,
Kevin Mahoney
www.cyclesidecar.com

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #28 on: June 19, 2009, 10:22:26 pm
Yeah Buddy, that's what I wanted to see. Thanks for making my day!
Iron Butt Association

jeffory

• Scooter
Reply #29 on: June 23, 2009, 01:06:20 am
Kevin do the pics show bikes being put on containers in India on June 19th or being taken off here in the USA on June 19th. Thanks Jeff