Author Topic: The time has come...  (Read 7391 times)

Frenchy

• Bulleteer
on: April 20, 2009, 11:46:18 pm
I will be ordering my Turquoise C5 on Saturday. It was a toss-up between that or a Bonneville T100...The RE won!  ;)
'On this world beneath the moon,
When Mercury is in the ascendant,
The isle of Scotland will produce a leader,
Who will cause the English discomfort.'

Nostradamus (Verse 93)

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
  • R.I.P Papa Juan, Uncle Ernie
Reply #1 on: April 20, 2009, 11:54:06 pm
Good man! maybe we'll meet when we pick up our new bikes!
On the eighth day God created the C5, and it was better looking than anything on the planet.
Iron Butt Association

Frenchy

• Bulleteer
Reply #2 on: April 21, 2009, 12:05:40 am
Sounds like a plan, r80... :)

Nostradamus (Verse 93)

UK-Classics

• Bulleteer
Reply #3 on: April 21, 2009, 08:14:05 am
Frenchy - congrats on your choice - what made you go for the RE in the end? The T100 is a great bike too
Cheers
Nick

Frenchy

• Bulleteer
Reply #4 on: April 22, 2009, 04:06:28 am
Frenchy - congrats on your choice - what made you go for the RE in the end? The T100 is a great bike too

Good question Nick, but I'm not sure I can give a logical answer. It might be my 62 years of age, and liking to operate at a slower pace. Of course there is the nostalgia factor. I'm also a person that has always marched to a different drummer, and not followed the crowd.
I think these all factor into my decision.

Nostradamus (Verse 93)

spliznat

• Scooter
Reply #5 on: April 22, 2009, 05:29:44 am
Thinking outside the box............... those who dare to be different keep the world interesting
From Dream To Dream, We Have Always Been Like An Ever Flowing Stream

PhilJ

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: April 22, 2009, 01:50:37 pm
Thinking outside the box............... those who dare to be different keep the world interesting
Tell that to my wife! She won't listen to me.  ;)

UK-Classics

• Bulleteer
Reply #7 on: April 24, 2009, 07:37:29 am

Good question Nick, but I'm not sure I can give a logical answer. It might be my 62 years of age, and liking to operate at a slower pace. Of course there is the nostalgia factor. I'm also a person that has always marched to a different drummer, and not followed the crowd.
I think these all factor into my decision.

Frenchy - I csn't disagree with that, they all seem v good reasons for going with RE  ;D
Cheers
Nick

Frenchy

• Bulleteer
Reply #8 on: April 25, 2009, 03:18:53 am
All along I've been looking to get the C-5, but more and more lately, I've been considering the G-5 Deluxe. There is something about the chrome fenders and tank that really trips my trigger.
I think it's this members ride that has me vacillating.

Nostradamus (Verse 93)

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
  • R.I.P Papa Juan, Uncle Ernie
Reply #9 on: April 25, 2009, 03:41:33 am
I see your point, that's a fine looking bike. I never saw an Enfield I didn't like but the C5 is the best looking stock bike I'ver ever seen, I'm glad there are lots of choices to pick from.
On the eighth day God created the C5, and it was better looking than anything on the planet.
Iron Butt Association

UK-Classics

• Bulleteer
Reply #10 on: April 25, 2009, 05:59:43 pm
All along I've been looking to get the C-5, but more and more lately, I've been considering the G-5 Deluxe. There is something about the chrome fenders and tank that really trips my trigger.

Frenchy - Did you order your C5 today - or are you considering the DL option?
Cheers
Nick

birdmove

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #11 on: April 27, 2009, 06:53:47 am
  I've been riding since I was eight years old, and I'm 55 now, so I was riding when the British bikes pretty much ruled the road. So I got mighty interested when the new Triumph announced they were making a modern Bonneville. I rode my motorcycle up to a Triumph dealer asap and test rode the new Bonnie. I really did like that bike too, and did conside getting one, and some day I still might. For now I have my 2007 iron Classic, my 2006 HD Sportster, and my fuel squeezer 2007 Yamaha XT225 dual sport.

jon
Jon in Keaau, Hawaii

Frenchy

• Bulleteer
Reply #12 on: April 27, 2009, 08:45:41 am

Frenchy - Did you order your C5 today - or are you considering the DL option?

I was hoping to order this weekend, but there was extenuating circumstances. Maybe next week!

Nostradamus (Verse 93)

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #13 on: April 27, 2009, 02:56:54 pm
I consider the old Iron Barrel Bullets to be a different motorcycle entirely than the new UCE bikes.
I could very easily desire a UCE as another bike for my stable.
However, I don't view them as a "replacement" for the Iron Barrel Bullet. The old Bullet stands alone as an icon, and can never be "replaced".
The new bikes bring something more to the table, than the older Bullets had, and they also leave something behind.
So, it's a matter of what your desires are.

I could add one to my stable some day, but I'm not selling my old Bullet to get one.
That picture you posted is a great looking Iron Barrel Deluxe in red. I can certainly understand your attraction to that. The newer bikes will never match the eye appeal of that bike. But, the new UCE will cruise the highway at speed, and look great in their own way.
Your call.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2009, 03:00:34 pm by ace.cafe »
Home of the Fireball 535 !

northshore_paul

• Bulleteer
  • Remember...all roads come to an end mon ami.
Reply #14 on: April 27, 2009, 04:44:35 pm
Frenchy, I can understand your dilemma and your choice. I too like the T100 looks, performance, reliability but...once you leave the dealer other factors come into play, at least in my case it does. I am many miles away from a Triumph dealer and there is not even an RE dealer in my state but I would opt for the RE because of availability of parts and accessories at a much more reasonable price, even though it is a new engine with EFI, it is much easier to work on at home than the T-100, you don't even have to worry about jetting the carb, it does it all for you and the built in diagnostics for the EFI simplify the aspect of when and if a sensor fails. Move beyond the engine and transmission and you have a basic RE...one that should not be any harder to maintain at home than whichever RE model you are now riding...just don't forget to periodically change the brake fluid annually, and that is simple and no different for those owners of the present day Electras. Now if only they could come up with a way to have the vintage spoked wheels with tubeless tires....oh well just dreaming.  ;D
'01 Kawasaki W650
'06 Suzuki Burgman 400
'03 Bullet Classic gone to a new home
'84 BMW R100 gone to a new home
'94 Honda PC800 gone to a new home