Author Topic: Very intersted but questions  (Read 14310 times)

dunnwurkin

• Scooter
on: September 27, 2007, 03:56:31 am
  I recently purchased my first bike.  I bought a CF Moto (QLink) Legacy primarily to commute 20 miles to my shop in Midland, MI.  Tonight, while doing some surfing I stumbled upon an RE link and immediately fell in love with the design of the Classic.  In fact I sent the link to my brother soon after.   I've always had a soft spot for the vintage bikes.

I typically take a scenic route along a river most of the way to the shop.  The remaining 10 minutes is split at the end of a busy state highway (speeds average 65) and finally on city streets.

While I expect the bike to perform well in this routine, at least, will it also hold up to longer rides with my friends with bigger bikes on the freeway (i.e.Victory 8-Ball and bikes in the 1600 cc range)?  Cruising speeds at 70 on I-75 from Bay City to Alpena, Tawas and Mackinac wouldn't be out of the question.   Those destinations are an hour and a half to three and a half hours from home...maybe four.  I know that a 70mph cruising speed would be fine with them but, can this bike handle that type of punishment?

I'd love to know more about any rider's experiences that deal with this situation.  Advice from anyone that owns this bike would be greatly appreciated.

I love my Legacy for the looks, comfort and gas mileage but I think I found the bike that suits my personality.  I fell in love with it as soon as I saw it and found a dealer within an hour from home, near Mt. Pleasant, in Reese which is in the Tri-City area near Saginaw..

I can't wait to see this bike in person or believe I just found a true obsession of this nature!
Owner, lead artist and production manager of MitchArt, Inc. Midland, MI.  We specialize in museum & trade show exhibits as well as carved, sandblasted, ADA signage and fleet graphics for our own clients as well as other sign & ad agencies locally and internationally.-

Spitting Bull

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: September 27, 2007, 08:53:53 am
I think a Royal Enfield would love your scenic run to work and starting every day with a ride like that would make you a happy person, too.  (Though if you bought a new bike it wouldn't manage the fast section at the end until the engine was run in.) 

When out with friends on faster bikes, they would have to match your speed though.  It might not work if you try to match theirs.  I have a classic 350 cc and for long periods of high speed running it's happiest at 50 - 55 mph.  It will go faster than that, but doesn't like it over long periods.  It was designed in a time and country where there wasn't much opportunity for high-speed running hour after hour.  The 500 will go faster than a 350, but not really  that much faster, so you might have the same problem.  Owners of 500 cc classics will be able to give their views on this.  I mostly ride with my brother-in-law and he willingly keeps his Harley Sportster down to my speeds and we have some great rides.  It's just a different kind of riding.

Tom

One cylinder is enough for anyone.

RagMan

• Bulleteer, Uralist &
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: September 27, 2007, 09:20:52 am
My Classic will do 70, but it is pushing it, the bike is built for the mid 20th century, and is not intended to go American speeds.
aka Indiana Bulleteer.
''99 Classic Bullet. '05 Ural Tourist sidecar rig, converted to 2wd. '05 Harley Davidson Sportster.
Jefferson County, WA

hutch

• Grease Monkey
  • Til death do us part
Reply #3 on: September 27, 2007, 01:56:26 pm
  I recently purchased my first bike.  I bought a CF Moto (QLink) Legacy primarily to commute 20 miles to my shop in Midland, MI.  Tonight, while doing some surfing I stumbled upon an RE link and immediately fell in love with the design of the Classic.  In fact I sent the link to my brother soon after.   I've always had a soft spot for the vintage bikes.

I typically take a scenic route along a river most of the way to the shop.  The remaining 10 minutes is split at the end of a busy state highway (speeds average 65) and finally on city streets.

While I expect the bike to perform well in this routine, at least, will it also hold up to longer rides with my friends with bigger bikes on the freeway (i.e.Victory 8-Ball and bikes in the 1600 cc range)?  Cruising speeds at 70 on I-75 from Bay City to Alpena, Tawas and Mackinac wouldn't be out of the question.   Those destinations are an hour and a half to three and a half hours from home...maybe four.  I know that a 70mph cruising speed would be fine with them but, can this bike handle that type of punishment?

I'd love to know more about any rider's experiences that deal with this situation.  Advice from anyone that owns this bike would be greatly appreciated.

I love my Legacy for the looks, comfort and gas mileage but I think I found the bike that suits my personality.  I fell in love with it as soon as I saw it and found a dealer within an hour from home, near Mt. Pleasant, in Reese which is in the Tri-City area near Saginaw..

I can't wait to see this bike in person or believe I just found a true obsession of this nature!
I got my bike from Nate at the Reese dealer. I live in Birch Run, a couple of miles from I-75 and would not even think of running on the freeway. The Classic I have runs 60pmh all day, but that will get you run over on I-75. I also own a 2006 Suzuki Savage 650 and I changed the belt final drive to chain drive for the soul purpose of lowereing the rpm at 75mph. I now can run I-75 with no problem , but I would not run that bike more than an hour on the superslab. The stock Savage has more hp and torque than the Enfield, and it was overwound, in stock form, trying to run I-75. If you can't run 75-80 on I-75, you will get run over, or blow your bike up trying not to be. People drive 10pmh or more over the speed limit on the back roads, and are worse on the interstate. Stick to state highways and back roads and you will be fine if you buy an Enfield. We have 3300 miles of shoreline here in Michigan and any of the roads around the shore are fine for the Enfield. Why people even use I-75 I have no idea. The scenery stinks and why do you think it is called an Interststate. It is for getting from one state to another quickly, not for enjoying the scenery. In closing, I am quite sure the bike would not handle it, and your friends could not handle waiting for you on their 1600cc bikes. Sorry, it's the truth.    Hutch
« Last Edit: September 27, 2007, 03:32:00 pm by hutch »
You learn from your mistakes, and I have LEARNED a lot.

mbevo1

• Grand Gearhead
  • Mike and Stumpy
Reply #4 on: September 27, 2007, 03:08:25 pm
I'm in the Grand Rapids area, and my Bullet goes as long as I need it to on any of the two-lanes.  Expecially when commuting, I have more fun at 45 - 60 on the two lanes and I escape the daily slowdowns on the expressway.

Wouldn't think of taking it out on the superslab - the bike is light and I'm sorta "lean" (six-foot, 145lbs) and the airblast from a VW at 75mph would likely blow me into the ditch...

Mike and Stumpy in Michigan
'07 Classic - Stumpy
'10 C5 Military - Sherman

hutch

• Grease Monkey
  • Til death do us part
Reply #5 on: September 27, 2007, 03:28:41 pm
I'm in the Grand Rapids area, and my Bullet goes as long as I need it to on any of the two-lanes.  Expecially when commuting, I have more fun at 45 - 60 on the two lanes and I escape the daily slowdowns on the expressway.

Wouldn't think of taking it out on the superslab - the bike is light and I'm sorta "lean" (six-foot, 145lbs) and the airblast from a VW at 75mph would likely blow me into the ditch...

Dunnwurkin, I am glad that mike mentioned the truck and VW wash you get on a light bike. I guess the best thing I can say is that you have a dilema. You know the enfield look is what you like, but any bike made for the Interstate has that same old,everybody has ,it cruiser look. That is why they are called cruisers. They are made for the superslab. Get them off on the backroads at low speed and they are ungainly and tiring to ride. If you do get an Enfield you can do two things, either talk your friends into using roads like m-13, 23, 55 or 33 that are lower speed, or tell them you will meet them at the destination later and take those roads yourself. You will find the Enfield is in it's element on those roads and you will have a much more scenic, relaxed and enjoyable ride than your freinds did at 80mph looking at the back of a semi for hours.. I have had all types of bikes over the years, and still do. I am getting rid of all my bikes but 2. One is the RE Bullet that I use the most ,for most of my riding, and one is for the state to state trips. You can go anywhere in Michigan with the Enfield as long as you stay off I-75. It may take longer, but you will enjoy it more. GAURANTEED.   After all ,that is why they came up with the saying "It's the journey, not the destination that makes a trip."      Hutch
« Last Edit: September 27, 2007, 03:32:52 pm by hutch »
You learn from your mistakes, and I have LEARNED a lot.

Sam

• Uralist & now, Bulleteer!
  • Bulleteer
Reply #6 on: September 27, 2007, 03:34:10 pm
Get new friends   ;D
<Insert cryptic saying by obscure author here>

mbevo1

• Grand Gearhead
  • Mike and Stumpy
Reply #7 on: September 27, 2007, 04:25:59 pm
Well said, Hutch...

I've been having a ball revisiting all those places I remember from my "before interestate" days... I just use the Mapquest advance option to "avoid highways" and then take a look at what's along the way.  I've missed tons of stuff by getting there fast over the years...

'07 Classic - Stumpy
'10 C5 Military - Sherman

luoma

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: September 27, 2007, 04:34:40 pm
I don't know why epople keep asking about interstate compatability. Whenever I am on the superslab, I very rarely see any bikers, regardless of engine size. However, when I am on secondary highways and backroads, I sometimes see more riders than drivers. I have run the interstate before for up to an hour at a time on an Electra with modified geering. It was about the least fun I have ever had on two wheels. When I am riding, I am usually trying to prolong my trip, not end it as quickly as possible. Secondary highways usually mean 45-65 mph. This is the RE's home turf. The RE can accelerate quickly enough to keep up with traffic, and therefore when riding with bigger bikes, so long as they ride with some civility, you will get to where you are going at the same time (except you may ned up waiting for your friends at the gas station).

dave48

• Scooter
Reply #9 on: September 27, 2007, 06:44:45 pm
What everyone else says/implies - I don't think that the RE was/is designed for 3-4 hours at >70 mph! It will hurt - and so possibly (and more importantly) will you.
Sorry!

dogbone

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: September 27, 2007, 08:52:40 pm
Very few have received a speeding ticket on an Enfield ! I seized a piston, running 65-70 for 10 miles( wide open) It has proven to be very costly. I also have discovered that 2 lane roads have a lot more to see, than freeways. The power range on my 99 500 is strongest from 40-55.
99 Enfield Bullet 535
a man isn't drunk,if he can lie on the floor without hanging on

VMAX

• Grease Monkey
Reply #11 on: September 28, 2007, 12:42:22 am
I aquired a 05 Classic 500 ES about 1.5 months ago. My ride is about 10 miles one way on mostly country rds going through small towns. My time on a 4 lane is limited by the fact that traffic is slowing down to 45 to go through anouther town.

When on the bk rds I run at 45-50 w/no problems. The other guys have far more experience then I, but I bought the bike because I like the vintage style and easy going pace. I'm too old to hurry any more!  8)
Ride Safe - Check 6 - REA #9
05' RE 500 Classic Bullet ES w/Cozy Bullet
Liberator Motorcycle Ministry

dunnwurkin

• Scooter
Reply #12 on: September 28, 2007, 01:09:34 am
  I really appreciate the great information from all of you.  I can easily run at 55-60 on M20 for the brief time I'm on it and actually I occasionally do it with my Legacy all the way home.  And everyone's right.  The scenery, even on M20, isn't much to talk about and not much fun constantly watching for idiots, I mean hazards!  I really prefer the secondary roads.  As for the freeway, I was expecting a big "No Go" and was really more concerned with the "What if I had to" dilemma. That suits me fine.  I've never been a big fan of 75 or 131.

My friends typically take more scenic routes also as their commutes are on back roads and I know they'd really have a great time with an RE Classic in the pack.  In fact I showed a pic to one of the guys today at my shop and his jaw dropped!  We fly fish the Au Sable and the Little Man during Steelhead season and I'm thinking the sidecar would be great for our gear.  Oh and my wife, she works with me, when we're not fishing.  ;D

I will certainly get to the dealer and speak to take a peek and a ride.  Thanks again for the advice.  I hope to tell you about my first ride soon.

Owner, lead artist and production manager of MitchArt, Inc. Midland, MI.  We specialize in museum & trade show exhibits as well as carved, sandblasted, ADA signage and fleet graphics for our own clients as well as other sign & ad agencies locally and internationally.-

luoma

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #13 on: September 28, 2007, 02:57:00 am
As far as the "what if I had too" scenario, here's a little trick I use sometimes when I use the interstate for a short cut to better roads: There will always be a knot of traffic cruising at 60-65 instead of 80. These are usually a loaded down pick up, or a station wagon full of kids, or a camper/motorhome. Tuck in behind and cruise. Although motorcycles are invisible to some drivers, being with another vehicle that is visible keeps you safe, and allows you to cruise at RE speeds while doing it.

RagMan

• Bulleteer, Uralist &
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #14 on: September 28, 2007, 04:06:11 am
I would suggest that if you wish to ride with the slower crowd on a freeway you do NOT tuck in behind, but place yourself in front..  If you are at the front, nobody will run into because you were invisible.  I, from time to time, find a couple of folk trundling down the freeway, same state plates, so probably together - I just hop in between them, and match speed.
aka Indiana Bulleteer.
''99 Classic Bullet. '05 Ural Tourist sidecar rig, converted to 2wd. '05 Harley Davidson Sportster.
Jefferson County, WA