Author Topic: 1959 badged indian?  (Read 4857 times)

moneymill

• Scooter
on: July 27, 2009, 05:34:50 pm
i have accquired what im told is a 59 re indian....the guy also tells me it is a 750 interceptor motor.....correct me if im wrong but i didnt think they made those till 62? i believe it is a 700 cc trailblazer.....casting number on crankcase is 7T 4260...any help is appreciated...i can post pics if needed......mill

rotorwrench

• Bulleteer
Reply #1 on: July 28, 2009, 07:28:06 pm
Royal Enfield did use a "7T" prefix for the 700cc motors but it was used from 1954 to 1956. 7W was also used on the early 50s 700cc motors. The later Trailblazers (late 1957) started with SM then later SMPA. A 1958 Trailblazer would have had the SMPA prefix. I don't think too many Trailblazers were manufactured in 1959. Mostly Chief and Apache models that year.

You mentioned the numbers as casting numbers. The early 700cc motors had the engine number stamped into the front of the engine case near the frame plates and all the later motors had the numbers stamped into the left side case just below the cylinder base and near or around the two screw plugs there. If there are any numbers there let me know. The 7T number you mentioned would have been made somewhere around 1957 by the number you mentioned. It was also a practice to stamp the transmission numbers into the engine case. In 1957 they would have been something like HDM or HDN followed by a three digit number. These were usually stamped in smaller character sizes in the front side of the right engine case but could be about anywhere on the engine case.

moneymill

• Scooter
Reply #2 on: July 29, 2009, 09:02:04 pm
heres some pics of my case numbers....left hand side reads 7T 4260
front case numbers are SM 2446   and HDM 964...i also uncovered the frame number from the left side of the neck......thanks for the help rotor

rotorwrench

• Bulleteer
Reply #3 on: August 04, 2009, 12:52:26 am
The SM number is a number that shows up on my listing as being manufactured in early to mid 1956. I appreciate you posting the pictures because I always wondered about those 7T numbers. The 1957 models would have had the SM prefix number where the 7T number is and earlier machines always had the motor number where the SM number is on your case. The transmission number prefix is also correct for a 56 model.

1956 was a big change year for Royal Enfield. The frame changed that year from the ones used on the 1955 which is similar to the later Bullet frames that come from India. Tool/battery boxes were also different. The later box also contained the air filter assembly and was one box with a lid on each side instead of two separate boxes.  The 1956 Trailblazers are kind of few and far between. I've only seen a few of them. They had plain Indian decals on the fuel tank instead of the chrome covers & badges like the 57 & later models have. The rear fender was a little different too. It didn't have the rear flare of the later Trailblazers. Phil in Australia has the sales catalogs on his re-indian web-site if you haven't already checked them out.

bogus bill

• Neophyte
Reply #4 on: August 07, 2009, 12:04:48 am
This is my 1st post.  In the past I had a 700cc single carb 1958 indian-enfield.  Bought that one in the late 60s.  I also owned a 1965 twin carb 750cc.  Then I also bought a basket case 1967 750 cc.  Just remembering.  Bogus Bill