Author Topic: New/used bike  (Read 4041 times)

mtrude

• Scooter
on: September 26, 2007, 04:24:03 pm
Hello, I have just purchased a 1999 Royal Enfield 500. The bike has 6,700 miles on it, is currently inspected and has been ridden lightly in the last year. It appears to have the shorter muffler and and non stock air cleaner. The case breather hose has been blocked off with a bolt ( not for much longer though) The engine starts and runs well with no valve noise. It has been serviced within the last year (oil changes etc). Is there anything I should watch out for,  inspect or correct before use?  How about cooler or cold weather operation? Thanks mtrude

Bullet500Dude

• Scooter
  • Me in Mexico
Reply #1 on: September 27, 2007, 06:43:40 am
Hi Mtrude !  Welcome to the insanity I call Royal Enfield.  Well, I'd order a duckbill breather. Replace the fuel filter, and tubing. The oil is old, and I'd change the oil/filter.  These bikes only hold 1.5 qts of oil, and that ain't much.  Oil is cheap, and rebuilds ain't.  Yank off the primary cover off, check primary chain and cluch visually, and adjust if needed.  Lubricate all the chasis points.   Lubricate and adjust all the cables.  Check the battery electrolite leval, and clean the conections.( Check the negative connection from the battery to the frame. It tends to loosen up, and get corosion. )  Clean the chain and lubricate, and adjust if needed. Check the tire pressure. Check every nut and bolt on the bike for tightness. i'm obsessive. I'd replace points/condenser/plug wire/cap, and do a complete tune up.  Good Luck.

Take CARE, be BAD ;-) and ride SAFE ....... D.B.

luoma

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: September 27, 2007, 04:41:01 pm
Sounds like you got a great bike. I would bet that it has a stock carb with different jets. This has apparently been the most reliable performance option for the older bikes. Please do all the preventative maint suggested, but remember the old mechanic's addage: if it aint broke, don't fix it.

Thumper

• Psalm 23
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Classic Wannabe
Reply #3 on: September 27, 2007, 05:51:47 pm
Hello, I have just purchased a 1999 Royal Enfield 500. The bike has 6,700 miles on it, is currently inspected and has been ridden lightly in the last year. It appears to have the shorter muffler and and non stock air cleaner. The case breather hose has been blocked off with a bolt ( not for much longer though) The engine starts and runs well with no valve noise. It has been serviced within the last year (oil changes etc). Is there anything I should watch out for,  inspect or correct before use?  How about cooler or cold weather operation? Thanks mtrude

Here are some things I extracted out of my maintenance notes:

1)   Check all fasteners
2)   Check condition of spark plug
3)   Check the adjustment of the decompression release
4)   Check oil level
5)   Check gearbox oil level
6)   Check primary case oil level
7)   Check clutch freeplay at lever and adjust as needed. Lubricate at lever, wiping off  excess grease and old dirt. If needed, fully lubricate clutch cable.
8.)    Check front brake cable freeplay and condition. Clean and lube as needed. Clean and lube front brake linkage.
9)    Lube rear brake grease fittings. Lube rest of rear brake linkage, wiping off excess.
10)    Check, clean and/or replace air filter as needed
11)    Check throttle freeplay. Check for smooth throttle movement. If needed, lubricate throttle and throttle cable.
12)    Check battery electrolyte level.
13)    Check rear drive chain tension. Check in several spots. Adjust at tight spot as needed. Clean off chain as you feel necessary. Lube chain and wipe off excess.
14)    Check fork oil level.
15)    Check steering head bearings: Turn, pull, push and otherwise firmly twist handle bars. Steering stem should turn smoothly and there should be no ‘slop’.
16)    Check wheel alignment. I used a metal pipe. Also check to make sure both drive chain lobed cam adjusters are set to precisely the same settings.
17)    Check spokes for tightness. Check in same place on each spoke. Check by tapping spoke with a spoke wrench and listen for nice ting-tang, ting-tang, ting-tang on each pair. Flat sounds jump out at you and indicate a loose spoke. Front wheel spokes might sound overall a bit different than rear spokes. Allow your ear to adjust to the ‘right’ sound.
18)    Check fuel filter and replace as needed. Unscrew petcock bowl and clean as needed. Inspect petcock screen. Replace bowl.
19)    Examine exhaust and exhaust brackets. Ensure all are tight and firmly secured.
20)    Examine tires. Check tire pressure.
21)    Lube: footpegs, shift lever, kick start lever, side stand.
22)    Armor-All: Fuel line and filter, starter solenoid and cables, battery flap and fuse holders, ignition wire and spark plug cap, starter motor cable, horn wires, brake hose, exposed cables: throttle, clutch, decompression lever, electrical wires, crankcase breathers, alternator wires (coming out of primary), speedo cable and fender grommet, foot peg rubbers, brake pedal pad, kick start rubber,  turn signals, brake light lens, fork boots, leather saddle bags (remove to get to buckles), seat, grips, mirrors, instrument grommets, switch gear and plastic ignition nut.
23)    Clean spokes and wheel rims. Clean left side of rear tire. Armor-All tires.
24)    Check any remaining fasteners not already checked. Check timing gear cover screws. Check oil line banjo fittings (22 and 13 mm). Check front (13&12mm) and rear (18mm) motor mounts. Check bottom crankcase-half stud nuts (10mm).
25)    Wipe painted bike surfaces clean.
26)    Polish aluminum.

Mine is an Electra X. Most of the items above should be relevant. Maybe not. Some nuts, bolts and sizes will be different.

Matt
« Last Edit: September 27, 2007, 05:54:37 pm by Thumper »

mtrude

• Scooter
Reply #4 on: September 28, 2007, 01:36:28 am
Thank You for the replies, its just what I was looking for. I took it for a short ride to the corner and back and its a joy. Can anyone pass on some advice concerning weatherproofing the bike? Id like to use it as a commuter and I can guarantee some rain.  Thanks mtrude

dogbone

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: September 28, 2007, 06:26:08 pm
mtrude  Ha Ha waterprofing!  Actually i've been in some pretty heavy rain, and all worked well. The problem area's could be at the distributor, missing gasket,or a  loose grommet. The bullet type connectors suck. I have replaced all w/ weatherproof spade fully insulated terminals only as preventative maint. Silicone on the coil top & wires, and make sure the main ground connection isn't rusty. The Taillight socket was designed by an azzhole, at best,  I routed the hole out and installed a universal socket w/ the proper non conducting grease.
99 Enfield Bullet 535
a man isn't drunk,if he can lie on the floor without hanging on