Author Topic: I did it!!! Part 2...  (Read 2197 times)

shotty8585

• Scooter
on: April 16, 2009, 03:45:52 pm
Alright I put some pics up showing my new/used Enfield. Also put some pics up that show my instrument panel which I am going to try to replace with a stock bullet instrument panel.

Im honestly just not into the fairing piece... I aiming for this project to take on a more classic look. Any advice on where to get that top fork piece would be very helpful.

Well this is my baby... An '02 bullet es she set me back about 1800 bucks hopefully I didnt get taken haha.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2009, 03:48:23 pm by shotty8585 »

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #1 on: April 16, 2009, 04:07:01 pm
Looks to me like the previous owner took off the casquette, and installed the top yoke from the Thunderbird, along with a separate headlight, and made a dash panel to fit the faring.
Actually, he did what appears to be a pretty nice job with it.

The Thunderbird top yoke and headlight mounting ears costs about $250 in parts, and that headlight is probably another $100. Plus labor.
And that fairing is about $75.
So, you got alot of value in those extra parts, even if you didn't want to use some of them. The Thunderbird top yoke is a nice piece.

The dash panel might be too big, but if you plan it out, you might be able to cut it down into a size and shape that you like, and still use that material. A piece of aluminum like that isn't cheap. I'd try to see what you can do with it, using the same piece. You have to make a dash anyway.
See if you can get creative to use the same material.

Looks like you made a good buy.
Home of the Fireball 535 !

geoffbaker

Reply #2 on: April 16, 2009, 04:11:51 pm
I agree, that fairing just doesn't have the right "look".

You can get all the parts you need to return her to the classic look; either a standard casque or a cafe racer style, from our hosts here at CMW.

If you decide you want to get rid of the fairing in the next month or so let me know, while I don't care for the look of it, it is still a pretty "aero" fairing and I will be needing one for my August border to border run...

PM me if you want to discuss it...

shotty8585

• Scooter
Reply #3 on: April 16, 2009, 04:35:29 pm
On this website the only casquette im finding is the one for the cafe racer... Haha I never knew it would be this tough to track down just a good ole stocky... Ace im going to take your post into very deep consideration because you might just be on to something. Thanks so far for the advice before yesterday I had just dipped a toe in the water with the Enfield so im new to it all haha. What is this thunderbird you speak of?

Chasfield

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: April 16, 2009, 04:56:48 pm
I would go with Ace's suggestion of tidying up the set-up you have. That instrument panel just needs lowering and reducing in size. Or  you could fabricate or buy those minimal cafe racer style brackets that go under the fork top nuts.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2009, 05:10:58 pm by Chasfield »
2001 500 Bullet Deluxe

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #5 on: April 16, 2009, 04:59:22 pm
On this website the only casquette im finding is the one for the cafe racer... Haha I never knew it would be this tough to track down just a good ole stocky... Ace im going to take your post into very deep consideration because you might just be on to something. Thanks so far for the advice before yesterday I had just dipped a toe in the water with the Enfield so im new to it all haha. What is this thunderbird you speak of?

The Thunderbird is a "India home-market" Bullet (AVL engined bike) that isn't imported to the US.
It has a top yoke like you have, and a separate headlight housing and twin gauges(speedo and tach) with minimalist mounting brackets.
The Thunderbird top yoke is popular with those who wish to delete the casquette and use a separate headlight.

Call CMW for a stock casquette, if you want to return it to original.They probably have a few laying around. But they're not cheap. Also look for used ones on Ebay.
Home of the Fireball 535 !

Blltrdr

• Grand Gearhead
  • cycle-delic music
Reply #6 on: April 16, 2009, 05:08:38 pm
Shotty, Ace does make an excellent point. If you reshaped the panel you could then take it to a shop and have a skirt welded around the perimeter, round off the edge, clean it up and give it a polish. It would really look great and also save a lot of time and money. You could always convert back to stock after the riding season is over!

Blltrdr
2003 Classic 500 5 spd
2009 HD FLHT Police 103 6 spd
1992 Kawasaki ZG 1200 Voyager XII

PhilJ

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: April 16, 2009, 07:40:57 pm
"Riding Season" is Northern terminology.  ;D

La Poderosa

• Scooter
Reply #8 on: April 16, 2009, 11:13:04 pm
after further review, that is not the top yoke I was expecting, I respectfully withdraw my interest.