Author Topic: Exhaust pipe  (Read 9908 times)

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
  • R.I.P Papa Juan, Uncle Ernie
on: April 16, 2009, 01:37:02 am
Kevin,  Do you have any idea how long after the C5's arrive will I have to wait to get the curved exhaust ?
On the eighth day God created the C5, and it was better looking than anything on the planet.
Iron Butt Association

Frenchy

• Bulleteer
Reply #1 on: April 16, 2009, 06:07:47 am
I too will be interested in this answer.
'On this world beneath the moon,
When Mercury is in the ascendant,
The isle of Scotland will produce a leader,
Who will cause the English discomfort.'

Nostradamus (Verse 93)

spliznat

• Scooter
Reply #2 on: April 16, 2009, 07:47:54 am
Most the pics I see of the C5 show it with the curve exhaust............ It would be nice if they came with it
From Dream To Dream, We Have Always Been Like An Ever Flowing Stream

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #3 on: April 16, 2009, 01:53:47 pm
Most the pics I see of the C5 show it with the curve exhaust............ It would be nice if they came with it

The big muffler with the catalytic converter in it is required for the emission controls needed to get importation certification. So, it will be the muffler that comes on it.
But, once you are the owner, you can modify, as  long as your state emission testing procedure  will allow it to pass without it.  Some states are stricter about this than others.
You can always keep the  stock cat muffler, and put it on when you go to the inspection station, and then put the shorty muffler back on after you get approval, if you want to do that.

BTW, that long cat muffler has a very high quality catalytic converter inside it. It is an expensive item.
Home of the Fireball 535 !

prof_stack

Reply #4 on: April 16, 2009, 03:34:15 pm
It may soon be illegal to tamper or replace the stock muffler on any motorcycle.  The emissions are indeed a concern for many. 

But, the "loud pipes saves lives" crowd may be their own worst enemy as they piss off many people, some of which are in a position to do something about it.

Besides, if you are using ear plugs to avoid accumulating hearing loss, the quieter muffler is likely better for you.

However, I do like the looks of the curved muffler shown on the C5 ads.

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
  • R.I.P Papa Juan, Uncle Ernie
Reply #5 on: April 16, 2009, 10:20:48 pm
I'm not after a loud pipe, I want the look of the curved system. I'm not terribly concerned with the emmissions of a 500 single either, with all the 18 wheelers running dual straight exhaust systems on the road. ;D
On the eighth day God created the C5, and it was better looking than anything on the planet.
Iron Butt Association

Leonard

• Grand Gearhead
  • I loved this bike!!
Reply #6 on: April 20, 2009, 08:40:07 pm
I remember my AMA magazine correctly this has already happened in Denver.  Just motorcycles not cars.  This is the reason the AMA is fighting the law in the courts.  If you're not a member you should consider joining.

It may soon be illegal to tamper or replace the stock muffler on any motorcycle.  The emissions are indeed a concern for many. 
2009 Triumph Bonneville T100
2004 Royal Enfield Sixty-5 (RIP)
2001 Kawasaki W650 (going, going...gone)
http://www.romeoriders.com

UK-Classics

• Bulleteer
Reply #7 on: April 26, 2009, 02:32:51 pm

BTW, that long cat muffler has a very high quality catalytic converter inside it. It is an expensive item.

Yes - I hope the cat lasts a long time - the cost of replacement over in the UK is £800 (that's about $900)  :'( :'( :'(
« Last Edit: April 26, 2009, 02:34:50 pm by UK-Classics »
Cheers
Nick

exiledcarper

• Bulleteer
Reply #8 on: April 26, 2009, 05:25:29 pm
You would probably be best off putting the proper exhaust on and just bolting on the Catastrophic Converter once a year for the M.O.T.
  How many 500 singles would it take to match the pollution gushing from an artic (18 wheeler over here) I wonder? Only a plonker in a suit could think of strangling an engine of such modest output, idiots!

UK-Classics

• Bulleteer
Reply #9 on: April 26, 2009, 08:16:55 pm
You would probably be best off putting the proper exhaust on and just bolting on the Catastrophic Converter once a year for the M.O.T.
  How many 500 singles would it take to match the pollution gushing from an artic (18 wheeler over here) I wonder? Only a plonker in a suit could think of strangling an engine of such modest output, idiots!

Yes - I agree with you on that one - I think the uplifted 'off road use' exhaust should be available fairly soon - how long is it before you need an MOT for a new bike? Is it still 3 years?
Cheers
Nick

exiledcarper

• Bulleteer
Reply #10 on: April 27, 2009, 03:28:30 am
I'm not up on the U.K. regs, as I've been living stateside for 11 years now, but 3 years has a familiar ring to it.

JamesC5

• Bulleteer
Reply #11 on: May 09, 2009, 01:00:58 pm
The C5 I saw at the BMAD bike show last week had the curved exhaust, however not sure how much extra it was.

Unlike the pillion it had, the exhaust looked pretty nice, still not sure which I prefer but def nice to look at.

As for emissions laws, are they EVER intelligent and fair?  Environmental and emissions requirements are money making instruments... The amount of lunacy involved is incredible. They'll make life impossible for a small importer selling very economical, high millage vehicles hell, and then the fat cats can dump thousands of tonnes of crap into the environment without penalty.

They're trying to get water fluoridation into the UK, a waste product from aluminum production linked to A.D.D in children and increased susceptibility to many forms of cancer, yet you can no longer buy vitamins of any strength in the EU, it's all money.

*climbs off soapbox and onto RE*

James
2009 Royal Enfield Bullet Classic C5
1951 Royal Enfield RE2 http://www.enfieldmotorcycles.com/forum/index.php/topic,4701.0.html
1989 XJ900 Custom Chopper

Blltrdr

• Grand Gearhead
  • cycle-delic music
Reply #12 on: May 10, 2009, 03:54:53 am
You can always keep the  stock cat muffler, and put it on when you go to the inspection station, and then put the shorty muffler back on after you get approval, if you want to do that.

Ace, the point you make about the expense of cat gives good reason to use the curved one and save the stock one for inspections or resale. Does anyone know the cost of the stock cat muffler?
2003 Classic 500 5 spd
2009 HD FLHT Police 103 6 spd
1992 Kawasaki ZG 1200 Voyager XII

Frenchy

• Bulleteer
Reply #13 on: May 10, 2009, 04:48:27 am
After looking at Rusty's pictures, that stock muffler and pipe is growing on me.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2009, 05:07:45 am by Frenchy »
'On this world beneath the moon,
When Mercury is in the ascendant,
The isle of Scotland will produce a leader,
Who will cause the English discomfort.'

Nostradamus (Verse 93)

YJake

• Scooter
  • Exploring the Sunshine State
Reply #14 on: May 10, 2009, 04:51:07 am
The only thing I ever really had against the fuel injected models was the ugly fat exhaust. :-\

If I could just swap in a "normal" looking one I might just be sold on the bike.

After test riding both AVL and EFI models, the price and ugly muff were the only things making my decision really hard.
"All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost..."

2010 Royal Enfield G5

1973 Honda CL125