Author Topic: Exhaust pipe  (Read 9913 times)

UK-Classics

• Bulleteer
Reply #15 on: May 10, 2009, 08:12:22 am
You can always keep the  stock cat muffler, and put it on when you go to the inspection station, and then put the shorty muffler back on after you get approval, if you want to do that.

BTW, that long cat muffler has a very high quality catalytic converter inside it. It is an expensive item.

Ace, the point you make about the expense of cat gives good reason to use the curved one and save the stock one for inspections or resale. Does anyone know the cost of the stock cat muffler?

Bltrdr - As I said earlier in the thread I understand the UK price for the CAT will be around £800  ::) ::).
Cheers
Nick

UK-Classics

• Bulleteer
Reply #16 on: May 10, 2009, 08:15:22 am
The only thing I ever really had against the fuel injected models was the ugly fat exhaust. :-\

If I could just swap in a "normal" looking one I might just be sold on the bike.

After test riding both AVL and EFI models, the price and ugly muff were the only things making my decision really hard.

I can't see any reason why you can't swap in a 'normal one' or the aftermarket uplifted one (soon to be available in the UK) - I think the sensors should be able to sort the adjustments req'd (TBC!)
Cheers
Nick

UK-Classics

• Bulleteer
Reply #17 on: May 10, 2009, 08:19:30 am
I'm not up on the U.K. regs, as I've been living stateside for 11 years now, but 3 years has a familiar ring to it.

I agree - I really didn't like it & it looked even worse when I looked at one in the flesh for the first time. Saying that I've come round to it myself - it does look similar to some of the REs from the 50's. I would still probaly swap it out with an aftermarket one without the CAT (it is a seriuosly expensive bit of kit) & just put it back on for any required transport tests.
Cheers
Nick

Blltrdr

• Grand Gearhead
  • cycle-delic music
Reply #18 on: May 10, 2009, 05:45:33 pm

Bltrdr - As I said earlier in the thread I understand the UK price for the CAT will be around £800  ::) ::).

How many pints will that buy ya? I would remove said silencer, handling with kid gloves. After removal, I would pack it away in a piece of foam and stow it somewhere safe. If they're that expensive you could probably count on the theft rate of this item going up. It's kinda like the theft of airbags because of their expense of replacement after an accident. 

Blltrdr
2003 Classic 500 5 spd
2009 HD FLHT Police 103 6 spd
1992 Kawasaki ZG 1200 Voyager XII

Kevin Mahoney

• Gotten my hands dirty on bikes more than once -
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Cozy Sidecar distributor/former Royal Enfield dist
Reply #19 on: May 10, 2009, 06:17:59 pm
The long term trick is going to be to stuff the cat inside a smaller silencer ( I saw just the cat at the factory yesterday and it is totally doable. Then finding a way to get the noice level down to meet regulations in a shorter pipe. The noise is really the rub, not the cat. The cat doesn't really detract from perfmance either
Best Regards,
Kevin Mahoney
www.cyclesidecar.com

Bullet Bill

• Scooter
Reply #20 on: May 10, 2009, 06:56:35 pm
Getting both the cat and a smaller silencer?  Now you're singing my tune, Kevin.  I'd like nothing more than to ditch the torpedo and keep my bike nice and legal.  Not that it would be a persistent problem, but hey, some of the states are pretty strict about noise control.  Traffic citations take away from my aftermarket money.
There's something that doesn't make sense... let's go and poke it with a stick.

exiledcarper

• Bulleteer
Reply #21 on: May 13, 2009, 03:51:46 am
I'm glad I live where louder pipes are tolerated, even encouraged by the cops I've spoken to.  As for the yearly "brake tag", if you drive it in and the lights work, that's about it.  In fact ,if your vehicle looks halfway decent, they won't check a thing on it.  Where my dad lives, in Mississippi, he swears he could "get a brake tag on a three legged donkey".Gotta love the rebel South. As long as there's big rigs spewing ungodly amounts of crap into the air, screw the tree hugging nancy boys, I say!

exiledcarper

• Bulleteer
Reply #22 on: May 13, 2009, 03:55:48 am
While I'm on an exhaust rant, I wonder if we will be seeing a more classic looking "shorty" type straight muffler, with a more proportioned , shorter and less restrictive header for the U.C.E.?  In other words, a free flow system that actually looks decent too? 

UK-Classics

• Bulleteer
Reply #23 on: May 13, 2009, 08:17:11 am

How many pints will that buy ya? I would remove said silencer, handling with kid gloves. After removal, I would pack it away in a piece of foam and stow it somewhere safe. If they're that expensive you could probably count on the theft rate of this item going up. It's kinda like the theft of airbags because of their expense of replacement after an accident. 

Blltrdr
Yes - that's just what I intend to do, I understand the aftermarket 'off road' uplift pipe should be available fairly soon over in the UK.

266 pints by the way (calculated at my local pub rate) - probably about a years supply for me  ;)
Cheers
Nick

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
  • R.I.P Papa Juan, Uncle Ernie
Reply #24 on: May 14, 2009, 02:20:09 am
the upswept pipe is a must have item for me, it just looks perfect to me.
On the eighth day God created the C5, and it was better looking than anything on the planet.
Iron Butt Association