Author Topic: Want to buy an Enfield, but...  (Read 5555 times)

Geirskogul

• Grand Gearhead
  • The world isn't beautiful, therefore it is.
on: April 15, 2009, 03:50:17 am
has had trouble luring
« Last Edit: April 16, 2009, 07:00:28 pm by Geirskogul »
All hail Sir Lucas, Prince of Darkness.

When an idiot thinks it's the same as not thinking at all!

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #1 on: April 15, 2009, 04:09:52 am
Yeah, I'd keep it off the highway until the break-in is complete.

After that, I think I'd try to take the hill around 50-55 mph, and not 60.
And don't lug it on the hill. Pick a gear that can keep the revs at least up where it feels like it's happy. If it strains at all then downshift. Pick the speed that you take that hill by the way the engine feels in a good rpm range, and not by some arbitrary speed that you "think it should do".
You can kill a Bullet motor(literally) real quick on a long grade like that if you aren't up into the middle of the powerband. They don't like lugging on a hill. It kills them.

Don't even try that hill until it's well broken in.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2009, 04:14:17 am by ace.cafe »
Home of the Fireball 535 !

The Garbone

• Shade Tree
  • Grand Gearhead
  • User Complaints: 22
Reply #2 on: April 15, 2009, 04:12:44 am
Since you mentioned Highway travel I would suggest getting one of the new UCE Fuel injected Enfields..  It can do higher speeds required for highway travel and the fuel injection is mapped for extreme changes in elevation so you don't have to worry about jetting.    

I weigh about the same amount as you and would not even consider taking an Ironhead or AVL Bullet on the highway in Florida which is flat as a pancake...  If you get an older RE keep it on the surface streets because once over 55mph or 60mph they don't have much left to give....... **unless your Ace and have a talent for modification that is.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2009, 04:15:03 am by The Garbone »
Gary
57' RE Crusader 250
67' Ford Mustang
74' Catalina 27 "Knot a Clew"
95 RE Ace Clubman 535
01 HD 1200 Custom
07 RE 5spd HaCK

* all actions described in this post are fictional *

Geirskogul

• Grand Gearhead
  • The world isn't beautiful, therefore it is.
Reply #3 on: April 15, 2009, 04:18:54 am
One up the grade and onwards, it's a pretty flat highway.  Not many hills, but a couple of narrow turns, so it tends to be slow.  Most of it is just straight, flat highway through farmland.  I'm not afraid of driving at 50mph on a highway, as there are always others that drive the road slowly.

I really, really like the look of the military, but I hear that they're not going to make a UCE military.  I mean, I can paint a bike olive drab, but those panniers and crash bar are what really tipped the scale in it's favor.  I've I'm going to drop $5k on something, it better be something that I like, or else I'd be riding the Yamaha already.  Really like the community here, though.  That's something you can't get the the Yamaha.

I wouldn't try to pus the bike too far.  From reading here I think I understand it's limits, and I'm more than willing to stay within them.  I'm no speed demon on the highway or in-town, but I do love to spend a Sunday covered in grease changing things.  To give you an idea of how I am: the first thing I would do to any bike I get, once it's out of warranty, would be to rewire it.  I'm just obsessive enough to spend a week up to my neck in parts, but not too obsessive to do it while something was still covered by the factory.   ;)
« Last Edit: April 15, 2009, 04:22:26 am by Geirskogul »
All hail Sir Lucas, Prince of Darkness.

When an idiot thinks it's the same as not thinking at all!

The Garbone

• Shade Tree
  • Grand Gearhead
  • User Complaints: 22
Reply #4 on: April 15, 2009, 04:31:30 am
Speaking of the military, I wonder about the availability.  I know that the folks at CMW have mentioned running  out of some colors.  If you want a new one I would suggest calling around to your local dealerships fairly soon and asking if they have any.    I could be off base on this but I would not be surprised if they are out of stock.   I honestly love my bike, a very fun machine... Good luck on your purchase.
Gary
57' RE Crusader 250
67' Ford Mustang
74' Catalina 27 "Knot a Clew"
95 RE Ace Clubman 535
01 HD 1200 Custom
07 RE 5spd HaCK

* all actions described in this post are fictional *

Shelley CC

• Scooter
  • Life is short; Live well.
Reply #5 on: April 15, 2009, 11:17:02 am
The Garbone is spot-on about the availability (or lack thereof) of the Military.  My local dealer, Crawford Sales in Michigan, called CMW two days ago looking for a Military, but there were none to be had.  Plus, rumor has it--emphasis on *rumor*--that any new versions of the "military" coming out in the future will feature only a drab green paint job.  No panniers, no butterfly engine guard.  That would be a pity, as the Military is a fine looking ride, appreciated by many.  There must be some Militaries scattered around the country in various dealers' showrooms; one needs only to call, call, call around to winkle them out.

This is my first post on the RE Forum, so I should probably offer a brief introduction.  I've had my eye on Crawford's 2008 AVL Electra for several weeks now.  The first time I actually sat on it off of the center-stand my heart swooned.  It reminded me exactly--if only in stature, profile, shape, color--of my old 1980 Yamaha 650XS.  Granted my memory might have been a bit off, as I hadn't ridden that 650 (or anything else) in 12 years.  Far too long, far too long.  Like many women, I put riding behind me when I started making babies.  I like the idea of the AVL with carbs as opposed to the UCE with EFI--I can totally go for some tinkering.  A hard-core Enfielder acquaintance of mine described the RE's as being "interactive" bikes.  And I am all for that!

To make a long story a wee bit shorter, she's mine now.  It took a few weeks of fierce campaigning to get my non-riding hubby to concede--mostly I think he just wanted me to shut up about that darn bike.  He presented me with a check made out to Crawford Sales for my birthday--Whatta Guy!  Now the poor dear is begging me to please exercise restraint with regards to accesorization and modifications.

Confession (nepotism alert):  I do have a solid-gold "IN" with my dealer.  Terry Crawford is my father, and I work right next door peddling Ural parts.  How could I possibly be expected to push down a yearning for a bike that I can see literally twenty times a day??  I'm a grown woman--I have *needs*.  Now I'm chomping at the bit to do the primary maintenance on the Electra together with Terry.

I am thrilled to be here participating on the forum.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2009, 11:44:41 am by Shelley CC »
Peace,
Shelley in Meeechigan
2008 AVL Electra, Black

1Blackwolf1

• Grand Gearhead
  • Looking for the next rebuild project....
Reply #6 on: April 15, 2009, 12:07:34 pm
  I would say the military is a hard item to find my deasler had 1 09 military and said it was the last he was going to get last month.  And yes the newer models don't have crash bars0panniers.  So I guess it may be time to look for a used military on Ebay.  Saw a couple there (including a '71 350) that had decent prices.  Will.
Will Morrison
2007 500 Military
2000 Kawasaki Drifter 1500
2000 Victory V92SC
1976 Suzuki GT185 Rebuilder Special..AKA (Junkyard Dog)
Many, many other toys.
The garage is full.

UncleErnie

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: April 15, 2009, 01:57:07 pm
Fullers in Marion  NC has had a Military aiting patiently- http://www.fullerscycles.com/

Congrats to Ms Shelley ~

With a little over 2K on the clock, I don't mind doing 60mph on the freeway.  Being in the mountains, there are some long up-hill grades and I have to downshift into 4th for 50mph.  It's revving for sure, but doesn't seem to mind.  (I'll find out the hard way...)
During break-in, I pulled over to let cars, trucks, little red wagons, and shopping carts go by.  I wouldn't ry that long grade until at LEAST 1500 miles.  My $.02.
Run what ya brung

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: April 15, 2009, 02:34:43 pm

This is my first post on the RE Forum, so I should probably offer a brief introduction.  I've had my eye on Crawford's 2008 AVL Electra for several weeks now.  The first time I actually sat on it off of the center-stand my heart swooned.  It reminded me exactly--if only in stature, profile, shape, color--of my old 1980 Yamaha 650XS.  Granted my memory might have been a bit off, as I hadn't ridden that 650 (or anything else) in 12 years.  Far too long, far too long.  Like many women, I put riding behind me when I started making babies.  I like the idea of the AVL with carbs as opposed to the UCE with EFI--I can totally go for some tinkering.  A hard-core Enfielder acquaintance of mine described the RE's as being "interactive" bikes.  And I am all for that!

To make a long story a wee bit shorter, she's mine now.  It took a few weeks of fierce campaigning to get my non-riding hubby to concede--mostly I think he just wanted me to shut up about that darn bike.  He presented me with a check made out to Crawford Sales for my birthday--Whatta Guy!  Now the poor dear is begging me to please exercise restraint with regards to accesorization and modifications.

Confession (nepotism alert):  I do have a solid-gold "IN" with my dealer.  Terry Crawford is my father, and I work right next door peddling Ural parts.  How could I possibly be expected to push down a yearning for a bike that I can see literally twenty times a day??  I'm a grown woman--I have *needs*.  Now I'm chomping at the bit to do the primary maintenance on the Electra together with Terry.

I am thrilled to be here participating on the forum.

Welcome Shelley!
Congrats on your new bike!

We understand that even relatives of Bullet dealers can be smitten with the "Bullet disease". And we're real glad that your Dad is a Royal Enfield dealer, because we need alot of dealers around to help us all.
All part of the "Bullet Family"!

I think it's terrific that you decided to take up motorcycling again, and you're going to have great fun on your new bike.

Shelley CC

• Scooter
Reply #9 on: April 15, 2009, 03:07:32 pm
Thanks for the warm welcome, Ace.  I have been admiring your posts from afar.

I was intensely studying several of your earlier posts (11/08) in the thread about the possibility of damage to the AVL sprag clutch when the ES is used.  That whole thread was extremely informative.  I ran hollering to Crawford to make sure I had one of the new modified AVL ignitions from CMW. 

I also had my panties in a pinch reading up on the forums about the elaborate ritual required to kickstart a RE (in order to save wear and tear on the sprag, plus it just looks and feels cool).  However, I was relieved to discover that kickstarting the Electra was not too tough.  She started up on the first kick, although admittedly she was warm to start with.  I plan on reserving the electric start just for emergencies, like my right leg falling off.
Peace,
Shelley in Meeechigan
2008 AVL Electra, Black

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: April 15, 2009, 06:18:56 pm
Thanks for the warm welcome, Ace.  I have been admiring your posts from afar.

I was intensely studying several of your earlier posts (11/08) in the thread about the possibility of damage to the AVL sprag clutch when the ES is used.  That whole thread was extremely informative.  I ran hollering to Crawford to make sure I had one of the new modified AVL ignitions from CMW. 

I also had my panties in a pinch reading up on the forums about the elaborate ritual required to kickstart a RE (in order to save wear and tear on the sprag, plus it just looks and feels cool).  However, I was relieved to discover that kickstarting the Electra was not too tough.  She started up on the first kick, although admittedly she was warm to start with.  I plan on reserving the electric start just for emergencies, like my right leg falling off.

I'm happy that my posts were helpful for you.

Making sure that you have the upgraded ignition was a smart move.
And also, don't try for a super low speed idle. Around 1000 rpm-1200 rpm will be just fine, and it won't be as likely to stall and then kick back, which can destroy the sprag too.
Between those things, you should be as insulated against sprag failure as you can possibly be.

t120rbullet

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #11 on: April 15, 2009, 10:31:15 pm
Welcome to the group Shelley.
I just knew by the twinkle in you eye after you went out on that Electra that it was going to be yours.
Enjoy,
CJ
PS Happy Birthday Too!
« Last Edit: April 15, 2009, 10:48:08 pm by t120rbullet »
1972 FLH "Sambo"
1999 Enfield 500 Black Deluxe "Silver"
2023 Guzzi V7 Special "BOB"

michigandon

• Scooter
Reply #12 on: April 16, 2009, 08:01:50 am
Shelley I met you a few weeks ago when I came to pick up my '07 Classic, did I not? Welcome to the group! My wife has an Electra herself, a maroon '06 with a Goldstar muffler.

Sounds like you guys musta sold the Military that was in your showroom when I was there last.

Shelley CC

• Scooter
Reply #13 on: April 16, 2009, 12:00:18 pm
Yes, that was me:  dark brown hair, jeans, and dirty work boots.  It's a treat to connect with you again.

I was helping out Crawford at the Motorcycle Swap Meet in Novi at the end of March (I was the Ural-question-answering-Lady).  At that time, I had my Shelley-vibes laid all over the Electra so that no one else would buy it.  A very enthusiastic newbie-rider put down a tidy deposit on the Military, but has yet to reappear to close on the bike.

Thank you all very kindly for the congrats on my Electra and for the warm welcome to the forum.  I've truly been enjoying reading the RE forum--it is far, far less, uuhhhhh, *acerbic* than the Ural forums I've visited.  ::)

Shelley I met you a few weeks ago when I came to pick up my '07 Classic, did I not? Welcome to the group! My wife has an Electra herself, a maroon '06 with a Goldstar muffler.

Sounds like you guys musta sold the Military that was in your showroom when I was there last.
Peace,
Shelley in Meeechigan
2008 AVL Electra, Black

Shelley CC

• Scooter
Reply #14 on: April 16, 2009, 12:09:48 pm
Hey there, CJ.

Yes, that test-ride was an epiphany.  My husband's two-week-long eye-rolling cringe began on that day.  How's that G5 riding?

Welcome to the group Shelley.
I just knew by the twinkle in you eye after you went out on that Electra that it was going to be yours.
Enjoy,
CJ
PS Happy Birthday Too!

Peace,
Shelley in Meeechigan
2008 AVL Electra, Black