Author Topic: G5 on the Road of NJ  (Read 6327 times)

singhg5

• Grand Gearhead
on: April 15, 2009, 02:16:27 am
Hello everyone: 

Got my G5 registered today in NJ.  It is ready for riding and for inspection in the next few day.  It is rainy today and tomorrow so can't go out on it.  As the weather clears, I will keep its performance posted.  A couple of pictures are attached.

G5 Black Stallion and silver pony

G5 Speedo
1970's Jawa /  Yezdi
2006 Honda Nighthawk
2009 Royal Enfield Black G5

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
  • R.I.P Papa Juan, Uncle Ernie
Reply #1 on: April 15, 2009, 02:23:24 am
That's great! I'm glad you you got through all the terrible paperwork problems.
On the eighth day God created the C5, and it was better looking than anything on the planet.
Iron Butt Association

singhg5

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: April 15, 2009, 02:45:42 am
That's great! I'm glad you you got through all the terrible paperwork problems.

Thanks r80rt - I like your signature. 
1970's Jawa /  Yezdi
2006 Honda Nighthawk

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: April 15, 2009, 02:48:28 am
Be sure to give us your riding impression of that fine bike.
On the eighth day God created the C5, and it was better looking than anything on the planet.
Iron Butt Association

singhg5

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: April 16, 2009, 04:07:24 am
Went for a spin around the block after coming home late.  It is absolutely irresistable, as you can see below -  ;D
1970's Jawa /  Yezdi
2006 Honda Nighthawk

singhg5

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: April 20, 2009, 05:40:51 pm

Good morning:

Here are the first impressions of my bike. It has 209 miles on it (got it at 60).

I have been riding small roads of NJ between 25 to 40 miles per hour.  The engine is very smooth.  The gears shift easily.  The clutch is light.  Neutral is easy to find.  There were occsional gear slips. The speedometer is typical RE - off by a few miles - measured against a street radar that read 25 mph, RE speedometer was 28 mph.  At low speeds of 40 mph (RE mph) it is happiest in the  fourth gear.  I did try for a few moments upto 45 mph (RE mph) just to feel the fifth gear and it respondeds well.

I have dual set that my son and I absolutely love. It is very comfortable for short rides we had taken together.  The controls swiches on the handle bar are great.  I also like the lights and turn signals.  The bike has great balance. 

I needed the help of kick start a couple of times as the electric starter would not turn on.  Got home ok after some scare.  The gas light started flashing first slowly and then more frequently for longer periods, even though I had filled the gas tank not long ago.  Early rough calculations indiacte around 65 mpg - but this may get better at higher speeds and with fewer stops on the way.  Filled the gas tank again and flashing stopped even though it needed only 2 gallons to fill the tank.  Does the light come on so early when there should be about 1.5 gallons in the tank ? Dont know yet.  We shall see. 

Finally - it does attract crowd at parking lots.  I was at ACE hardware, when a BMW guy came over and wanted to know what was this bike ?  ;D Went to Little India in NJ where some men - for whom RE is the Harley of India - wanted to know about its performance and problems. 

I have read about first oil change and found that some recommend at 100 miles, the book suggests at 300 miles, one of the dealers said at 500 miles.  Since I was at 209 miles, I thought of changing the oil - boy am I glad that I did it !  I will be posting pictures of that at another thread. 

Here a a couple of pictures of our trips - with my son happy to be riding RE on pillion.  And the second one in front of a jewelery and music store - two of the favorites hobbies of Indians.   

So long.

1970's Jawa /  Yezdi
2006 Honda Nighthawk

singhg5

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: April 20, 2009, 05:49:25 pm
Forgot to mention the thump of the bike.  It is hypnotic and soothing. 

Also great handling swing arm.  All in all still a RE but with more power and better engineering.  Let us hope it stays that way on long term use.
1970's Jawa /  Yezdi
2006 Honda Nighthawk

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: April 20, 2009, 11:30:17 pm
I'm glad you are liking the bike so well, I can't wait for my C5 to get here ;D
Iron Butt Association

singhg5

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: April 21, 2009, 04:08:18 am

Dot you know when are you getting C5 ?  I was tossing between C5 and E5 (which is available in Europe) - Lo and behold ended up with G5.

1970's Jawa /  Yezdi
2006 Honda Nighthawk

singhg5

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: April 21, 2009, 04:47:02 am

AFTER the First Impressions:

I have already mentioned my first impressions of G5.  Here are AFTER the first impressions.  It includes things or ideas that could further enhance the appeal of RE.

First - the gear shifting lever is small.  When I rode with my boots on, it was hard to get the toe under the lever.  I had to twist my foot - heel out and toe in to lift the lever. Even then lifting was not easy.  I am not a big guy nor have large feet.  When I switched to sneakers, shifting was no problem. 

Second - I do not like the acid battery in G5. I want to replace it with dry and sealed battery as soon as I can. CMW told me they do not have an equivalent one that would fit on G5 - due to terminal locations.

Third - the owner's manual is pretty useless.  Definitely need a service manual with clear pictures, repair instructions, and specifications of parts.  Since RE is pretty much a DIY project due to small number of qualified dealers in the country. I want to buy a service manual as soon as it comes out.  Not ready yet as per CMW.

Fourth - the wiring seems pretty loose and cluttered with chances of short circuit and inconsistent responses. We do not know the reliability of its electronic components. 

Fifth - a good, reliable, courteous and professional after sale service is a must if RE is to compete with other motorcycles or it becomes a hobby for technically inclined handy persons who have enough time to fix issues that crop up with passage of time.  I for one prefer to spend more time riding than fixing and hope that UCE is what it is touted to be -  more reliable and better constructed.
1970's Jawa /  Yezdi
2006 Honda Nighthawk

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: April 21, 2009, 12:03:39 pm

Dot you know when are you getting C5 ?  I was tossing between C5 and E5 (which is available in Europe) - Lo and behold ended up with G5.

The dealer thinks it will be here in June, I hope so!
Iron Butt Association

The Garbone

• Shade Tree
  • Grand Gearhead
  • User Complaints: 22
Reply #11 on: April 21, 2009, 01:54:28 pm

AFTER the First Impressions:

First - the gear shifting lever is small.  When I rode with my boots on, it was hard to get the toe under the lever.  I had to twist my foot - heel out and toe in to lift the lever. Even then lifting was not easy.  I am not a big guy nor have large feet.  When I switched to sneakers, shifting was no problem. 

You can unbolt the shifter and move it up one notch on the cam an see if that helps.

Second - I do not like the acid battery in G5. I want to replace it with dry and sealed battery as soon as I can. CMW told me they do not have an equivalent one that would fit on G5 - due to terminal locations.

I would go to a battery specialty shop,  you should be able to find something if price is no option,  I seriously doubt RE would use a custom battery.  It might take a bit of searching but you should be able to find something. 

Third - the owner's manual is pretty useless.  Definitely need a service manual with clear pictures, repair instructions, and specifications of parts.  Since RE is pretty much a DIY project due to small number of qualified dealers in the country. I want to buy a service manual as soon as it comes out.  Not ready yet as per CMW.

I feel you on this one, Very few owners manuals are very good..

Fourth - the wiring seems pretty loose and cluttered with chances of short circuit and inconsistent responses. We do not know the reliability of its electronic components. 

Not that surprising...   

I road a UCE last week,  a very nice machine,  but by looking at it you can tell its still an RE at heart,  for better or worse...  Great fun all around..

Gary
57' RE Crusader 250
67' Ford Mustang
74' Catalina 27 "Knot a Clew"
95 RE Ace Clubman 535
01 HD 1200 Custom
07 RE 5spd HaCK

* all actions described in this post are fictional *