Author Topic: Looking to buy, but bothered by poor rear braking. Suggestions?  (Read 5817 times)

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #15 on: December 17, 2012, 06:54:40 pm
I am of similar mind- the worst feature of my B5 is the rear brake.  There's very thin "zone of effectiveness": a little less and it doesn't work very well, and a little too much and it locks up on you.

You probably need to center your brake. Mine is very progressive and to lock it up takes a bit of effort, which is the way I like it. But it's not the most powerful brake I've ever had either. Neither is the front one. But both are quite adequate.
I haven't been able to do a stoppie with it, but I have locked the front wheel up when I wanted to.
Most of the stopping problem is that we just don't have very much rubber on the ground, so you just have to deal with that. You learn little things such as not to drive directly behind another vehicle, especially one you can't see ahead of. I have, on a few occasions, had to avoid the vehicle ahead and end up beside him. Leave yourself some escape room, even if it's just not following very closely.
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #16 on: December 17, 2012, 07:33:12 pm
I've ridden several different bikes with the rear brake set properly.  They're pretty effective for a drum and will easily lock the rear wheel.  The one aspect that really lacks is feedback.  They're pretty progressive but it's tough to tell when you're getting close to lock up, the pedal feel pretty wooden.   Still, about average for a rear drum brake.

Scott

kammersangerin

• Bulleteer
Reply #17 on: December 20, 2012, 07:21:52 pm
Thanks again those with ideas about the braking. Sounds like it is fixable. I haven't quite been ready to take the plunge, because it would be the third new bike in less than 2 years, and at this point, I just want something Ic an ride - breaking them in all the time can get boring - but right on the edge. It's just a smidgeon tall still to take the plunge, I would like a bit better than the balls of my toes. Maybe the springs needed to be softened slighty. Or a solo seat that is slightly lower than the stock. 

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #18 on: December 20, 2012, 07:36:26 pm
The C5 has a lowering kit available from NField gear, but I don't see it on the site now.  It was composed of shorter rear shocks and lower seat springs.  I've heard that the combination of both can put too much of a rearward slant in the seat to be comfortable. 

You could also just get some shorter seat springs:
http://nfieldgear.com/enfield-store/solo-seat-lowering-kit.html

Or order some shorter Hagon shocks from Dave Quinn Motorcycles (starts at $200) or get a thinner seat and have it mounted. 

There is a nice looking lower seat available but it's currently out of stock.  Call and ask:
http://nfieldgear.com/enfield-store/perewitz-s-premium-low-seats.html

There are plenty of thin chopper seats out there that can also easily be made to fit the C5.

Scott

GlennF

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #19 on: December 20, 2012, 10:35:23 pm
Thanks again those with ideas about the braking. Sounds like it is fixable. I haven't quite been ready to take the plunge, because it would be the third new bike in less than 2 years, and at this point, I just want something Ic an ride - breaking them in all the time can get boring - but right on the edge. It's just a smidgeon tall still to take the plunge, I would like a bit better than the balls of my toes. Maybe the springs needed to be softened slighty. Or a solo seat that is slightly lower than the stock.

The rear brake will never be wonderful and requires a bit of force compared to a disk, but correct adjustment will make it acceptable. note that I said acceptable not amazing.

As far as seat height goes, try an unsprung solo trials/scrambler seat ... below is my B5 fitted with a generic Indian made aftermarket seat .

REpozer

• Grand Gearhead
  • Royal Enfield , Let the good times roll.
Reply #20 on: December 22, 2012, 08:21:43 pm
The rear brake should be able to lock up, no problem, with the right adjustment and force applied.
But then you might lose control. Unless of course you sence an audience is watching and you need to powerslide for coolness reasons.
2008 ( AVL) Classic Bullet in British Racing Green
REA member # 84  (inactive)