Author Topic: classic motor vs AVL  (Read 11921 times)

fredgold52

• Grease Monkey
  • Macomb, IL Flatlands Rule
Reply #15 on: December 17, 2007, 01:53:43 pm
Classic styling with the AVL engine would be the answer to my situation.  I love the classic styling.  In fact, I think it's the best looking motorcycle available.  But I have a hard time seeing the logic in buying something that's less than the latest technology. 

I know that sort of thinking probably gets crossways with many of the RE purists, but since it's me who would be living with the bike and doing all the service to it, that's how I feel I need to look at it.
2006 '65' and a 200cc Stella, Indian all the way

Kevin Mahoney

• Gotten my hands dirty on bikes more than once -
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Cozy Sidecar distributor/former Royal Enfield dist
Reply #16 on: December 17, 2007, 03:07:21 pm
I think the bike would look a lot better if we had painted some of the fins on the head black as well.
Best Regards,
Kevin Mahoney
www.cyclesidecar.com

Adrian

Reply #17 on: December 18, 2007, 07:51:12 pm
Kevin,

how about painting the whole head and barrel black and just keeping the edges of the fins polished?

Regards,

Adrian

Foggy_Auggie

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #18 on: December 19, 2007, 12:29:35 am
I don't know - it still looks like an ice house compressor!

Regards, Foggy
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.

Fortiter Et Fideliter

hutch

• Grease Monkey
  • Til death do us part
Reply #19 on: December 19, 2007, 12:48:04 am
I don't know - it still looks like an ice house compressor!

Regards, Foggy
Watch out Foggy!!!! I wouldn't want you to get X'ed out. I myself think the UCE motor looks like my Savage motor but for the bottom end. I do wish the Savage motor had the kicker though. The one reason I went with the Classic iron motor was that it used the same oil filter as my 1967 Interceptor. The AVL filter is different.  Hutch
« Last Edit: December 19, 2007, 12:52:38 am by hutch »
You learn from your mistakes, and I have LEARNED a lot.

cyrusb

• Kept man
  • Grand Gearhead
  • There's a last time for everything
Reply #20 on: December 19, 2007, 03:43:28 am
With the new "Unit Construction " motor on the way, I wonder how long the AVL motor will be around.I doubt as long as its predecessor. I had read that the new motor uses "considerably less" material to make than the old non unit construction engines. That must be music to the managements ears.
2005E Fixed and or Replaced: ignition, fenders,chainguard,wires,carb,headlight,seat,tailight,sprockets,chain,shock springs,fork springs, exhaust system, horn,shifter,clutch arm, trafficators,crankcase vent.

LotusSevenMan

• Grand Gearhead
  • ...._[:]@==<
Reply #21 on: December 19, 2007, 12:06:50 pm
Ummm. We all know that newer isn't necessarily better but normally it is cheaper to make with less lifespan involved. All part of our current 'throw away'  fashion statement society. Bikes are no less involved in this (see Japanese style changes).
Probably why us conservative bikers love the RE. It still looks the same as it always did.
If it ain't broke-------------------------- fix it 'till it is!

Royal Enfield Miltary 500cc  (2003)
Honda VTR FireStorm (SuperHawk) 996cc 'V' twin
Kawasaki KR1 250cc twin 'stroker
Ducati 916 'L' twin

stipa

• Grease Monkey
Reply #22 on: December 20, 2007, 06:27:43 pm
Here's a question, (don't know if this belongs in a new topic or not, but),,,does the AVL engine have a cast cylinder liner?  I had understood it does.  And if so, is it replaceable? 
Just curious, and just want to confirm what I had read.  (Or thought I had).
If so, this would give the aluminum (aluminium in the Commonwealth?), jugs an indefinite life span and performance enhancing options, wouldn't it?
Anybody know how such a liner is secured, other than by press fit?

Steve

Foggy_Auggie

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #23 on: December 20, 2007, 09:03:18 pm
Here's a question, (don't know if this belongs in a new topic or not, but),,,does the AVL engine have a cast cylinder liner?  I had understood it does.  And if so, is it replaceable? 
Just curious, and just want to confirm what I had read.  (Or thought I had).
If so, this would give the aluminum (aluminium in the Commonwealth?), jugs an indefinite life span and performance enhancing options, wouldn't it?
Anybody know how such a liner is secured, other than by press fit?

Steve

The liner would be locked in by the overlapping flange milling on the crankcase opening and the spigot on the cylinder head.  Sandwiched in place.
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.

Fortiter Et Fideliter

HRAB

• I should really edit this
  • Grease Monkey
  • Been there, doin' more...God willing
Reply #24 on: December 20, 2007, 10:55:24 pm
The AVL sleeve does not have a spigot that protrudes into the head. The head is indexed in place by two locating pins in the alloy cylinder mass.

The sleeve has a flange that is recessed into the aluminum cylinder mass at the head mating surface. There does not appear to be anything that locks the sleeve at the bottom. The flange at the top is held between the alloy mass and the head. It appears it is either cast around the sleeve, or the sleeve is pressed into the cylinder mass from the top. It does appear it could be fabricated and replaced.

There is enough material to take the 84mm bore to 89mm with 1.5mm of sleve remaining.

As to the sleeve material...It is iron, or steel.

BMWMOA www.bmwmoa.com
Iron Butt Association www.ironbutt.com/about/default.cfm
(Formerly) CRA# 118N www.cra-mn.com (I got smarter in old age)
74 Honda XL350 'Scoot'
81 Honda CB650C
86 Gold Wing with California Sidecar
00 Honda ST1100 'Large Marge'