Author Topic: Newbie seeks advice  (Read 6515 times)

jonapplegate

• Grand Gearhead
  • you stand tall when you stoop to help
Reply #15 on: January 09, 2008, 05:29:57 pm
 Wow! Hey guys I am a little late checking back to see if I got a reaction with my last post. Looks like I was successful. Ya, you don't want to go overboard with the perf. mods on our bikes. Think out what you want and carefully plan your changes. You are never going to run with the new bikes and that is okay. On the other hand it is also nice to have at least a little more " hurry up and get the hell out of the way" since we all have to play nice with modern vehicles being piloted by the occasional moron. I am trying to get my head wrapped around the idea of the disc brake for just this reason. That brake on the Bullet just looks wrong and the drum has been adequate so far, but....
      The Turbulator. These devices do work and the technology is used in modern cyl. head design. It is called swirl and is built into the ports on many newer cyl. heads. The idea is to keep the fuel atomized as it is heavier than air it naturally wants to come out of suspension and pool up. Swirling the air/fuel mixture through the port(s)  is an effective way of dealing with this problem. Just remember, it goes between the carb. and the cylinder, not before the carb. I seem to recall there being some discussion on this forum about that very topic although I cannot remember where.

cyrusb

• Kept man
  • Grand Gearhead
  • There's a last time for everything
Reply #16 on: January 09, 2008, 08:11:23 pm
Wellcome to the world of obsolete motorcycling. Enjoy it for what it is. Performance mods are the equivalent  of giving granny dexi's so you can get her shopping done faster.  Doing the pipe -jet change brings the bike to its original performance level .
« Last Edit: January 10, 2008, 03:07:52 am by cyrusb »
2005E Fixed and or Replaced: ignition, fenders,chainguard,wires,carb,headlight,seat,tailight,sprockets,chain,shock springs,fork springs, exhaust system, horn,shifter,clutch arm, trafficators,crankcase vent.

Coronach

• Bulleteer
  • I don't get stressed, but I am a carrier
Reply #17 on: August 02, 2008, 08:55:14 am
Excellent list, Auggy. Thanks.

Mike
Columbus, OH
2008 Black Classic ES "Last One"
1050 miles on the clock
OH! ... IO!

Jon

• Bulleteer
Reply #18 on: August 03, 2008, 01:11:44 am
Lots of ideas and opinions here.You CAN take the Bullet out as far as 750cc,45bhp
and 120mph( not bad for a hopped up 350 single!) but not for $600.

Anyone interested in the elephant motor Bullet should read the article in Classic
Bike June 2003. The bike was built by Tollgate Classics in the UK. Photos show
a rather scruffy down at heel Bullet but one with enough grunt to give a rice
rocket a headache, apparently the humble Bullet chassis copes easily with the extra
power.

For $600 you should get a little more go with a less restrictve exhaust, maybe
a carb kit and a lumpier piston.

Having in the past tuned several old tech bikes C15,Bonneville,Bullet 350 you can
certainly wring a fair bit more power out but you'll be doing a lot more maintainance
and unless you are a press on type you may regret the loss of tractibility.