Author Topic: Switching to stock carb set up  (Read 2018 times)

northshore_paul

• Bulleteer
  • Remember...all roads come to an end mon ami.
on: April 07, 2009, 06:09:19 pm
I have a '03 ironhead Bullet that has the 34mm Mikuni carb and large K&N sold by CMW. It had this setup when purchased used and I want to go back to the stock carb setup. I have a carb I bought off of ebay and other than the cable and a new air filter (stock air box?) what else do I need to become operational with this set up? I would appreciate any jet opinions as well, thanks in advance. Paul
'01 Kawasaki W650
'06 Suzuki Burgman 400
'03 Bullet Classic gone to a new home
'84 BMW R100 gone to a new home
'94 Honda PC800 gone to a new home

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #1 on: April 07, 2009, 06:37:08 pm
You'll need the stock manifold and gasket and intake rubber hose. They are all smaller sizes than what was on there with your 34mm carb.

If you want to use your current K&N filter, you could probably find a rubber reducing ring  or adapter for it, if you are creative. If not, you can buy a new K&N for the smaller carb, or you could buy a stock airbox with the rubber connector hose for it, and the bracket, and put it totally back to stock. If you go to the stock airbox, it might be a good idea to look at the modifications for installing a K&N ring-type filter inside it. The stock filter is awfully restrictive.

You'll need correct jets for your location, which will likely be around 27.5 pilot(which is one step larger than the stock one) and about a 127.5 main jet. The exact jet sizes will depend on your elevation above sea level, and the temps you are seeing. If you use the stock restrictive filter, you might need less jet size, because you won't be pulling as much air thru it.

If you decide to hang the K&N off the carb mouth, then get some small aluminum bar stock at the hardware store and make a little strut from one of the frame studs to the filter clamp, so you can support the flying end of the intake system. That will help to save the rubber intake hose from failing early.

Piece of cake, really.
Just replace everything from the head joint out to the air filter system, and you'll have it.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2009, 06:42:15 pm by ace.cafe »
Home of the Fireball 535 !

mbevo1

• Grand Gearhead
  • Mike and Stumpy
Reply #2 on: April 07, 2009, 06:40:38 pm
Paul -

I've got an '07 iron lung with the stock 28mm carb and airbox, cat plug removed, less restrictive muffler.  I'm running a 27.5 pilot, 130 main, needle in the lowest notch.  Works good...

Mike and Stumpy in Michigan
'07 Classic - Stumpy
'10 C5 Military - Sherman

GreenMachine

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: April 08, 2009, 02:39:51 pm
06 iron iron lung with the stock 28mm carb and modified airbox with K&N , british exhaust system from CMW, .  I'm running a 27.5 pilot, 127.5 main, needle in the lowest notch.  Works good for me too.
Oh Magoo you done it again

Roy_d

• Scooter
Reply #4 on: April 24, 2009, 06:03:16 pm
I am in the middle of the same project. I have an '05 and I bought everything I'll need, I think, except one thing bothers me.  The stock Mikcarb VM28 I was shipped has the enrichment circuit lever and idle speed and mixture screws on the left side, facing the battery, and therefore difficult to reach.  I called and asked if perhaps I got the wrong one, and need one with right-facing adjustment screws.  I was told, no, they are just hard to reach, and there is no "right hand" model.

There must be some confusion, as one guy said all the carbs in stock did have right hand access like I needed, and the dealership told me their '08 models had the same carb with right hand access. So, do they have both versions?  And, which side are yours? 

Something that might be of interest to you: the tech support guy at Royal Enfield did say that with the open exhaust (Classic, "shorty" muffler) I should put a 125 main jet, and a 27.5 pilot jet in the Mikuni or Mikcarb VM28. 

Either way, good luck to you.

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #5 on: April 24, 2009, 07:58:49 pm
The Mikarb 28mm on all the Bullets I've seen has both adjustment screws on the left side of the carb.
However, they do have the enrichener on the right side.

If there's been any change, I'm not aware of it.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2009, 08:01:15 pm by ace.cafe »
Home of the Fireball 535 !

Roy_d

• Scooter
Reply #6 on: April 24, 2009, 10:27:46 pm
The Mikarb 28mm on all the Bullets I've seen has both adjustment screws on the left side of the carb.
However, they do have the enrichener on the right side.

If there's been any change, I'm not aware of it.
Appreciate it!  I will install the carb (right side up) and live with it.  Thanks.