HPRE

Menu

Members Rides

lond tour

in
Members Rides

NField Gear

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
August 02, 2015, 11:19:37 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Changing Bulbs to LEDs  (Read 16671 times)

azcatfan

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2002 Bullet ES
Re: Changing Bulbs to LEDs
« Reply #60 on: December 29, 2013, 09:47:01 pm »
I changed over to LEDs and went back to the stock turn signals from the ones the previous owner had placed on there.  Part of the documentation I got with the bike was the wiring information from when he put the aftermarket turn signals on, very helpful!

The brake LED isn't quite as bright as the regular stock bulb, but pretty close.  I also added a set of those flashers that come on with the brake.  In the video they appear to dimly pulse while the motor is running and the running lights are on, but I think this is something just picked up by the camera because I couldn't see it with my naked eye.

Also, the right turn signal now appears to flash a single half/flash before settling into a rhythm, other than that all is well.  Now when I come to a stop with the brake light on and turn signal going my amp meter doesn't bank all the way to the left, it barely moves :-)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kOjQVCTyyK4
-2002 Bullet ES Up-Jetted with Ace Air Canister and punched HD Exhaust.

My MotoVlog Channel:  http://tinyurl.com/nnso3av

azcatfan

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2002 Bullet ES
« Reply #61 on: March 29, 2014, 06:07:45 pm »
I went a step further and bought the round LED trailer light from super bright.  I wanted round because I think it fits the look of the bike better than the red barn that was on there, and now my rear light is even brighter!

Before:

After:

Running Light:

Brake Light:

Not a bad deal and easy to install...
-2002 Bullet ES Up-Jetted with Ace Air Canister and punched HD Exhaust.

My MotoVlog Channel:  http://tinyurl.com/nnso3av

Barnone

• Scooter
« Reply #62 on: March 29, 2014, 06:43:40 pm »
That round tail light does look like it fits the bike better.
Vince
2001 Kawasaki W650
2012 Ural Yamal
2012 DF250RTB
Fort Myers,FL or Robbinsville,NC

MTchuckles

• Neophyte
« Reply #63 on: May 31, 2015, 01:02:55 pm »
I have an 09 bullet G5, and I bought a BA7S-W for my speedometer, and it's WAY too small.  Does anyone know which is the correct base?

On the same vein, I bought the 1157-W24 for the tail light, and it does not light up when I use the brakes.

What the heck am I doing wrong?

singhg5

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #64 on: May 31, 2015, 05:29:07 pm »
I have an 09 bullet G5, and I bought a BA7S-W for my speedometer, and it's WAY too small.  Does anyone know which is the correct base?

On the same vein, I bought the 1157-W24 for the tail light, and it does not light up when I use the brakes.

What the heck am I doing wrong?

The speedometer bulb is BA9S (9 mm base).

Tail lamp contact points at the base of bulb may not be touching the tabs in the socket properly. Wiggle the bulb a little bit while brake is pressed down to see if the contact is made. Or/And take out bulb and rotate the bulb 180 degrees and re-insert. If that doesn't work, bend the socket tabs outwards a bit.

Another solution is to get another bulb 7528 or 1077 because they have Longer Contact points at its base unlike 1157 which has only small round buttons (picture below).   I personally do not use 1157 bulbs in RE for the same reason as they are prone to lose contact with tabs.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2015, 06:53:50 pm by singhg5 »
1970's Jawa /  Yezdi
2006 Honda Nighthawk
2009 Royal Enfield Black G5

orionsilver

• Neophyte
« Reply #65 on: June 03, 2015, 08:14:29 am »
I've changed the turn signal indicator bulb to LED but it only works when I use the left turn signal. I've swapped out bulbs and also roatated the bulb and then insert it incase there is some issues with polarity. Any ideas what the issue is? I have a 2009 Bullet C5 Classic 500

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
« Reply #66 on: June 03, 2015, 06:55:08 pm »
There is probably a polarity issue that can't be corrected by rotating the bulb.

The Royal Enfield's turn signals are wired weird.
In order for a LED to work in them it must have a AC/DC bulb in the speedometer turn indicator light socket.  The "DC only" kind won't work unless some solid state circuitry is added to the system.

http://www.enfieldmotorcycles.com/forum/index.php/topic,17491.msg194793.html#msg194793

Some have also found the LED's don't draw enough power to activate the flasher correctly.

Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

HonzaS

• Neophyte
« Reply #67 on: June 18, 2015, 11:20:43 pm »
The difference between led on right and stock pilot light on the left... worth all the $2 or whatever the cost was ;).. Sorry picture is upside down
« Last Edit: June 18, 2015, 11:25:57 pm by HonzaS »