Author Topic: Just getting started  (Read 4276 times)

Monty

• Scooter
on: September 23, 2007, 11:18:31 pm
I'm looking into purchasing a Motor Cycle for the first time.  The dealership said that the Royal Enfield would be a great bike.  I know all you out there a loyal owners but is this really true.  I just want to learn how to ride and just ride for fun.  Any advice would be great.  Thanks for all your time.

RagMan

• Bulleteer, Uralist &
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: September 23, 2007, 11:28:00 pm
I regard the Royal Enfield as the most forgiving, stable bike I have ever ridden.  I had one many years ago, and now ride a '99 Bullet.  I have ridden many bikes between the two, and still say it is the most forgiving, stable bike I have ever ridden.

As a starter bike, if you can comfortably put both feet flat on the ground when on it, and can support the weight of the bike with your legs, the bike will suit as a first machine.  I would suggest that you do a motorcycle safety training course, which may remove the need for an official test, and teach you how to ride safely. 
aka Indiana Bulleteer.
''99 Classic Bullet. '05 Ural Tourist sidecar rig, converted to 2wd. '05 Harley Davidson Sportster.
Jefferson County, WA

dave48

• Scooter
Reply #2 on: September 24, 2007, 04:23:32 pm
Not sure I'd agree. I don't think that "old" (and that after all is what the Enfields are, though I can't speak for the latest lean burn models) bikes ARE as easy to ride as a "new" one. I returned after 22 years break: I re-started with a 250 Virago - dead easy to ride, easy shiting, good brakes, light, low seat and reasonably quick. Having just got a '93 Bullet, my view is that it is not as easy to ride. Yes, handles OK, but have to think a lot further ahead for shifting, braking etc. That is not in itself a bad thing, but maybe not ideal for a starter.
Opinion only you understand!
Whatever you choose, have fun, take care, ride safe.

Thumper

• Psalm 23
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Classic Wannabe
Reply #3 on: September 24, 2007, 05:29:19 pm
I'm looking into purchasing a Motor Cycle for the first time.  The dealership said that the Royal Enfield would be a great bike.  I know all you out there a loyal owners but is this really true.  I just want to learn how to ride and just ride for fun.  Any advice would be great.  Thanks for all your time.

The RE Bullet Classic and ElectraX both have qualities that would benefit the first-timer:
They are relatively small and light and handle well.
They have simple and modern components like EFI and switch gear (with the Electra also having a front disc brake)

They have some features and requirements that *might not* benefit the first time rider:
At every 1850 miles, they require more frequent maintenance than their Euro and Asian cousins.
As a 'Classic' design, the engine requires a careful break-in period
Starting a big thumper (even with the electric start) is not as simple as just pushing the button.

Overall I'd say that learning on an RE would be a little more involved than on, say, a Honda xy400z. But in the long run it would be soooooo much more rewarding!

Join the  ;D club. You need an RE.

hth,
Matt

stipa

• Grease Monkey
Reply #4 on: September 24, 2007, 08:25:20 pm
And I would like to re-emphasize what thumper said about a "careful" break in period.  You absolutely have to take it easy during break-in, massage her gently and you will be rewarded. 

Bullet500Dude

• Scooter
  • Me in Mexico
Reply #5 on: September 25, 2007, 04:29:26 am
   Hi Monty !   Well, I love my Bullet, and wouldn't give her up.  But they do require alot of attention, and it helps if you are mechainicly inclined.  Like what was said about starting and breaking is corrct, and there will always be something needing attention.  You can just get on these bikes and ride them.  Adjusting valves, tightenting fasteners, ect, ect.
  These bikes take dedication to be happy, and are more like having a high maintence girlfriend. lol  But you will learn the grass roots way of being a biker, and I'd totally recomend one. 

Take CARE, be BAD ;-) and ride SAFE........ D.B.
Take CARE, be BAD ;-) and ride SAFE ....... D.B.