Author Topic: engine options for the new RE or any royal enfield for that matter  (Read 4448 times)

fastgun357

• Scooter
If you really  love to tinker try these options,in Germany people have even put  diesel engines in Royal Enfields. Kawasaki KLR 650, Kawasaki ninja 500

doomed1

• The Pirate King
  • Bulleteer
If you really  love to tinker try these options,in Germany people have even put  diesel engines in Royal Enfields. Kawasaki KLR 650, Kawasaki ninja 500
those screamers? eh, those engines have no soul. if i wanted a crotch rocket engine, i'd just buy a damned crotch rocket. being able to go a thousand miles an hour has never been the point. just ride with the bike and enjoy yourself. adding a screamer won't do anything to help that...

fastgun357

• Scooter
Actually, the KLR 650 IS A SINGLE CYLINDER '' THUMPER'',Also the Kawasaki  ninja 500 is a small engine(500cc) with only 40 horsepower roughly. They just put the Ninja tag on it AS A LEAD IN MODEL FOR THE REAL SPORTBIKES. THE NINJA 500 IS A BASIC  VERTICAL TWIN "STANDARD BIKE" engine, NOT A SCREAMER.The Yamaha 650 savage is also a"THUMPER" single cylinder NOT A SCREAMER.  I had the re military 500 cast iron cylinder modle but want the new g5. I think the engine options would be good for my old RE

Rick Sperko

• Grand Gearhead
  • Milwaukee, WI
I believe the chain is on the wrong side for a UCE. Correct side for a classic or Electra though.
Rick in Milwaukee, WI

'06 RE Bullet Classic Iron
'63 VW Beetle Ragtop (also classic)
'66 Chris Craft Cavalier Cutlass 26'
'02 BMW R1150R

fastgun357

• Scooter
Rick, you are right.To see really cool enfields, surf the web for mods by owners to their Enfields. Particularly in germany.

Rick Sperko

• Grand Gearhead
  • Milwaukee, WI
Geoff Baker here in the forum has been posting about his Diesel conversion and it is very cool. LJ Read is working on an EV Rickshaw Enfield. There are a lot of cool things being done with the bike.
Rick in Milwaukee, WI

'06 RE Bullet Classic Iron
'63 VW Beetle Ragtop (also classic)
'66 Chris Craft Cavalier Cutlass 26'
'02 BMW R1150R

Gromit42

• Bulleteer
  • Ready to GO
Has anyone put a UCE in an older electra. I know a few folks who are thinking of just changing engines but isn't the chain on the UCE's on the opposite side than on the classic or AVL?

Gromit
Come to the Dark Side....We have cookies!

2006 RE Electra-sold
2008 Triumph Bonneville T100-Faster
1 cozy sidecar to match both-Priceless!

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Has anyone put a UCE in an older electra. I know a few folks who are thinking of just changing engines but isn't the chain on the UCE's on the opposite side than on the classic or AVL?

Gromit

Yes, the chain is on the right side.
I'm sure you could buy the parts to do the conversion.

The truth is that it's going to be an expensive deal. There's more to it than just the chain and wheel issue, along with a new UCE engine unit. You need the whole fuel injection and engine management system, a new tank with the fuel pump in it,  different exhaust pipe, changes to the wiring, etc.
By the time you're done, you could probably buy a G5 for the same money.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2009, 10:23:43 pm by ace.cafe »
Home of the Fireball 535 !

Gromit42

• Bulleteer
  • Ready to GO
The truth is that it's going to be an expensive deal. There's more to it than just the chain and wheel issue, along with a new UCE engine unit. You need the whole fuel injection and engine management system, a new tank with the fuel pump in it,  different exhaust pipe, changes to the wiring, etc.
By the time you're done, you could probably buy a G5 for the same money.

[/quote]

That's what I figured. Personally I'm happy w/my little AVL electra...maybe someday they will figure out where to put the mounting brackets on a G5 for a sidecar.
Come to the Dark Side....We have cookies!

2006 RE Electra-sold
2008 Triumph Bonneville T100-Faster
1 cozy sidecar to match both-Priceless!

Vince

• Grand Gearhead
     The hang up is the the mount at the driver's peg. Mounts should be available soon.