Author Topic: AHRMA trials  (Read 104629 times)

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #120 on: March 02, 2014, 01:15:02 pm
If you lived in Denver I'd say buy the paint and I'll shoot it for you!  But I'm pretty sure you don't live anywhere near here.

Scottie J
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

darmst6829

• Grease Monkey
  • 206-355-7647
Reply #121 on: March 02, 2014, 03:22:03 pm
If you lived in Denver I'd say buy the paint and I'll shoot it for you!  But I'm pretty sure you don't live anywhere near here.

Thanks for the offer but I live in WA state.

Scottie J

darmst6829

• Grease Monkey
  • 206-355-7647
Reply #122 on: March 14, 2014, 04:21:23 am
Well that didn’t turn out like I planed. The changeable rear wheel sprocket from Enfield has 4 webs for the cush hub and my hub has three. The local motorcycle restoration shop did a nice job machining my hub to fit the new sprocket and Enfield USA took the hub back without hassle. http://www.enfieldmotorcycles.com/forum/index.php?action=gallery;sa=view;id=4391
http://www.enfieldmotorcycles.com/forum/index.php?action=gallery;sa=view;id=4392
« Last Edit: March 14, 2014, 04:36:36 am by darmst6829 »

darmst6829

• Grease Monkey
  • 206-355-7647

darmst6829

• Grease Monkey
  • 206-355-7647
Reply #124 on: March 27, 2014, 04:10:17 am
Spent some garage time in preparation for this weekends Trials, Cross Country and MX at the Bohnet motorcycle park.
https://scontent-a-sea.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-frc3/t1.0-9/s403x403/1779297_608464249221863_1168445630_n.jpg
My Bultaco Scrambles and Trials motorcycles are running perfectly and my only concern is of my physical condition! Lots of potential handle bar time.

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #125 on: March 27, 2014, 11:16:05 am
That sounds like fun!  I'm REALLY hoping my clutch parts show up today.  The Flat Track Association here is having an open practice this Saturday and I really want to get out and run it in the dirt.  The problem is, anytime you order from Hitchcock's, guessing what day your package is going to arrive is like trying to guess the numbers for this weeks Power Ball.

Scottie J

darmst6829

• Grease Monkey
  • 206-355-7647
Reply #126 on: March 27, 2014, 02:21:46 pm
That sounds like fun!  I'm REALLY hoping my clutch parts show up today.  The Flat Track Association here is having an open practice this Saturday and I really want to get out and run it in the dirt.  The problem is, anytime you order from Hitchcock's, guessing what day your package is going to arrive is like trying to guess the numbers for this weeks Power Ball.

Scottie J

Lets hope your package shows up in time. Have you ridden on a dirt track before?

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #127 on: March 27, 2014, 02:50:34 pm
Lets hope your package shows up in time. Have you ridden on a dirt track before?

I haven't but is something I've always wanted to.  The local circuit has a Hooligans bracket where anyone can race their street as long as there are at least 3 bikes that want to run.  There are several guys here in Denver that run their choppers in the Hooligans and this year there is a Hooligans race almost every weekend all summer and fall.  A few of the guys are excited to see me get the Blackhawk on the dirt track, including myself.  :D

Scottie J

darmst6829

• Grease Monkey
  • 206-355-7647
Reply #128 on: March 28, 2014, 04:23:28 am
I haven't but is something I've always wanted to.  The local circuit has a Hooligans bracket where anyone can race their street as long as there are at least 3 bikes that want to run.  There are several guys here in Denver that run their choppers in the Hooligans and this year there is a Hooligans race almost every weekend all summer and fall.  A few of the guys are excited to see me get the Blackhawk on the dirt track, including myself.  :D

Scottie J
Well heck yah I want to see it also! My brother and I rode an open traction tt a few years ago and the flat track portion of it was outrageous. Just watch out for the "high side"!

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #129 on: March 28, 2014, 11:39:37 am
Well heck yah I want to see it also! My brother and I rode an open traction tt a few years ago and the flat track portion of it was outrageous. Just watch out for the "high side"!

The one thing I have going for me is that I absolutely love riding in the dirt.  And when I do ride in the dirt, I take about half of the turns sideways.  Ever since I started riding as a kid I've been a "loose" rider.  It seems like the only time I'm not trying to spin the rear tire in the dirt is when I'm trying to do a wheelie!  ;D  Well, except on group rides, I try to be courteous of the riders behind me.  ;)

Regardless, I feel like I might do ok at the flat track.  The only thing I can think of that might cause an issue is that the rear brake will be to the inside of the turns (right side shift).  Which means A: I really won't be able to use the brake unless I brake early which screws up your entry into the turn and B: If I come into a turn too hot my only option is to slip n blip and take the turn completely sideways like the expert racers.  I've only had to use option B on a full size bike a few times in my life.  Like last year on the short adventure ride with a couple of friends.  I'm on my buddies GS650F BMW, he was riding his GS1200R BMW and the other friend a Triumph Tiger with his girl friend on back.  We're riding densely wooded dirt roads up in the Rocky Mountains having a blast, the GS1200R in front, me in the middle and the Tiger in the back.  We approach a straight stretch of road and Paul on the GS1200R guns it and I followed suit, the Tiger just kept putting along.  We're flying along (I glanced at 58mph on the speedo) and I see Paul hit his brakes for a hairpin right.  I followed suit.....  Except I forgot to turn off the ABS brakes!    :o   Realizing I wasn't going to make the turn in a traditional fashion I aborted the brakes at the entrance of the curve leaned the bike over hard and gunned it WOT in 3rd gear.  By the time I exited the turn I was even up with Paul who looked over and gave me the "where the hell did you come from?" look.  ;D  I believe I had elevated blood pressure for a couple miles after that.

Scottie J

darmst6829

• Grease Monkey
  • 206-355-7647
Reply #130 on: March 31, 2014, 04:56:12 am
Well after all the planning for a fun filled weekend and everything ready my weekend ended abruptly.
We left my house at 3:30AM and arrived at the Bohnet farm just  before 8AM Saturday morning after driving over Snoqualmie Pass in the poring rain and suffocating fog. The farm is a working farm with the Bohnets only holding motorcycle events 2 times a year. The trial was held for the first time this year and they had 9 sections and ran the trial with modern rules. The owner Tom Bohnet hates no stop trials and made it clear that AHRMA can keep that tradition to themselves. The sections were purposefully set to the hard side and we were dutifully warned. I started off with a lousy two points on section one. Then a 1 on 2 and a failure on 3 for missing the 2 line split. Great. Then it got even better when I arrived a section 4 that was simply a telephone pole laid on its side with a graduation marked on the side. 5,3, 2 and 1. The farther you could ride the pole the lower the score. Well I made it to the 1 mark and had to bail off the left side where I caught my left foot weird on the uneven ground and twisted my left knee severely. Shit! I laid on the ground in pain and wondered if I had ended my motorcycle year before it had even started. The rest of the weekend was spent lounging in a chair with a bag of ice on my knee and a tasty beverage in hand. I enjoyed watching the cross country as the riders came into view and also the MX racers as they came over the first jump and out onto the twisty tight perfect for me MX track. Just not quite the same as ridding I am afraid.
Home now and going to take Monday off to try and recover. I may even go to the dreaded Doctors office. Probably not.

darmst6829

• Grease Monkey
  • 206-355-7647
Reply #131 on: April 04, 2014, 03:55:00 am
Oh shit, just got back from my orthopedic Dr. and my ACL is gone like the summer wind....

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #132 on: April 04, 2014, 05:11:10 am
That's not good.   :(

darmst6829

• Grease Monkey
  • 206-355-7647
Reply #133 on: May 01, 2014, 05:38:12 am
So my knee is screwed. I have no pain and can do almost everything without an ACL but race. I have elected to wait until the weather turns to shit before having it repaired. This gives me time to ride my Harley, finish the Enfield and Metralla and have a decent summer. The Enfield trials is going together with lock tight and attention to detail. Who knows if its going to be a good trials bike.

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #134 on: May 02, 2014, 12:09:57 am
Sorry to hear of your injury. Hope it heals up as quickly as possible!
Home of the Fireball 535 !