Author Topic: AHRMA trials  (Read 104566 times)

darmst6829

• Grease Monkey
  • 206-355-7647
on: March 23, 2009, 04:16:22 am
Hello all,

I am thinking of building a new AHRMA premier heavyweight trials bike from a Royal Enfield. I know the non-electric start bikes are legal but has anyone actually built one and competed on it in AHRMA trials? If so I would like to read about your experience.
thanks,

Dave.

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #1 on: March 23, 2009, 01:00:21 pm
I don't know of anyone specifically who is doing that, but I'll bet that there are some people doing it here in the US.

The Bullet was very successful as a Trials bike during the 1950s.
Johnny Brittain competed for 15 consecutive years in the ISDT, and won 13 Gold Medals on his Bullet.
Home of the Fireball 535 !

Leonard

• Grand Gearhead
  • I loved this bike!!
Reply #2 on: March 23, 2009, 11:21:22 pm
Here is a blog that will be of interest to you:  http://www.blackcatvintagetrials.com/
2009 Triumph Bonneville T100
2004 Royal Enfield Sixty-5 (RIP)
2001 Kawasaki W650 (going, going...gone)
http://www.romeoriders.com

darmst6829

• Grease Monkey
  • 206-355-7647
Reply #3 on: March 25, 2009, 03:31:32 am
Hi,

Tony Down is a cool guy. I met him at the "farm" in Chehalis  WA the AHRMA Classic a few years ago. His Enfield (as seen on his web-site) is the genisis for me wanting to build a heavyweight trials bike.
I am running a 1966 Bultaco Matador in the Classic class and want to move up to the Premier (pre 65) class. No one is running an Indian built Royal Enfield at this time as far as I can tell in AHRMA. 

Dave.

Leonard

• Grand Gearhead
  • I loved this bike!!
Reply #4 on: March 25, 2009, 04:05:42 am
I thought the Indian made REs were accepted by the AHRMA.  Shouldn't be too hard to find out and it would sure be an interesting project, good luck.
2009 Triumph Bonneville T100
2004 Royal Enfield Sixty-5 (RIP)
2001 Kawasaki W650 (going, going...gone)
http://www.romeoriders.com

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #5 on: March 25, 2009, 01:57:20 pm
I thought the Indian made REs were accepted by the AHRMA.  Shouldn't be too hard to find out and it would sure be an interesting project, good luck.

Yes, the Indian made Bullets are accepted in AHRMA.
The AHRMA road racing classes have Indian made Bullets racing there.
I think if they allow it for the road racers, they'll allow it for the trials too.

From what I've heard, it has to have the 4-speed gearbox, and not the 5-speed.
Home of the Fireball 535 !

darmst6829

• Grease Monkey
  • 206-355-7647
Reply #6 on: May 24, 2012, 05:34:06 am
Hello all,

I am thinking of building a new AHRMA premier heavyweight trials bike from a Royal Enfield. I know the non-electric start bikes are legal but has anyone actually built one and competed on it in AHRMA trials? If so I would like to read about your experience.
thanks,

Dave.
OK, I spoke with Dick Mann at the Steel Stampede in Terrebonne OR the other weekend and he mentioned that he has an Indian 350cc Royal Enfield that he is going to build into a trials bike. I asked him lots of questions specifically about the frame and his opinion was that the stock frame Indian Enfield frame is the same as the factory trials bike. With that information I pulled the trigger on a 1978 home market 350cc Enfield to build into an AHRMA Premier Heavyweight trials bike. The bike has done 720 miles since new and looks to be in good shape. I plan on getting the bike running and evaluate the condition of the motor and transmission before striping the bike down.  This should be fun!

Dave

« Last Edit: May 24, 2012, 05:36:35 am by darmst6829 »

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #7 on: May 24, 2012, 08:05:43 am
 Video of the only known surviving 1948 RE factory works trials bike
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i3dzCtnBzHY&feature=related

Link to article about the bike.
http://www.royalenfield.org.uk/index.php?PageName=why_jim

Video of a Bullet trials in action.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4vhrIgy6jFE

This one is an absolute beast of a trail bike.

No matter where you go, there, you are.

Lwt Big Cheese

• Grand Gearhead
  • Getting there, slowly...
Reply #8 on: May 24, 2012, 08:43:17 am
I see that one uses a linear induction motor for the rear wheel instead of the traditional spokes.
No warranty implied or given.
Packed in a protective atmosphere.
May contain nuts.

darmst6829

• Grease Monkey
  • 206-355-7647
Reply #9 on: June 21, 2012, 06:33:10 pm
OK, I spoke with Dick Mann at the Steel Stampede in Terrebonne OR the other weekend and he mentioned that he has an Indian 350cc Royal Enfield that he is going to build into a trials bike.
Dave

I need a battery, does anyone know if the bike is 6 or 12 volt? Its a 1977 or 78 350cc

Dave

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #10 on: June 22, 2012, 11:41:25 pm
The book "Royal Enfield, The Postwar Models" by Roy Bacon says the1977-1982 Indian made 350's were 6 volt.

There is always the possibility that someone has upgraded it to a 12 volt system in the past 34 years so it might be a good idea to look at the headlight and tail light bulbs.  If they and possibly the igntion coil are marked 12 volt then that is the one to go with. :)
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

darmst6829

• Grease Monkey
  • 206-355-7647
Reply #11 on: June 26, 2012, 06:01:57 am
Thanks, 6volt it is.
I spent a fair amount of time taking the fenders etc off the bike and I have to say the bike is impressive. Not a fan of star washers though. The factory seems to think they are neat-o.

Dave

darmst6829

• Grease Monkey
  • 206-355-7647
Reply #12 on: September 30, 2012, 05:11:50 am
Well from what Steve at European Motorcycles, Inc. says, the bike is 12 volt. I had Steve get the bike running for me and also remove the battery from the system. A capacitor and a regulator were installed and everything else from the wire harness has been removed. The bike starts right up and has a rock solid idle. Amazing.  I got a 1954 frame from a friend in Canada that has been modified for use as a trials bike but man is it a mess! I am not sure if I will use it or the stock frame.  The big problem with using the stock frame is that there is so much crap like brackets and hangers and stuff all over that it will take days with an angle grinder to take all the shit off.  I also need to decide whether to use the stock ½ width hubs or find another set of wheels to use. And how front forks? Do I use the stock set or do I find something more suitable like Ceriani or Bator? I won a fuel tank off an early Enfield trials bike and it fit straight on with no mods. Very cool. At this point I feel like using stock hubs with good quality Sun rims and stainless spokes. I plan on drilling holes in through the brake drums for water to escape. This is something I have only seen once on a Hodaka race bike and the owner swore up and down that it worked great for keeping the brakes working in wet conditions.

Dave

darmst6829

• Grease Monkey
  • 206-355-7647
Reply #13 on: October 07, 2012, 02:10:15 am
So I have been disassembling the Enfield and found something interesting. Bent front forks! I don’t think it matters and I don’t see any other damage so I can only assume the previous owner hit something solid or are the forks tubes made of butter? Anyone know how to take off the nacelle? I have every fastener out and the fork tubes are removed. I found the hex head bolt behind the handlebars. No joy.

Dave

darmst6829

• Grease Monkey
  • 206-355-7647
Reply #14 on: October 09, 2012, 03:30:19 pm
With lots of heat from a heat gun the nacelle came loose. Luckily for me the grease is viscous and still held the loose balls in place as the assembly came apart! I made an executive decision to use stock hubs and forks so to that end I bought a pair of brand new forks from India. The other decision that has to be made is gearing. The rear hub and sprocket are one piece so any gearing changes back there will be difficult. I can buy a 13 tooth counter shaft sprocket and Royal Enfield offers a scrambler/trials gears set that lowers the gear ratio in the first 3 gears.