Author Topic: AHRMA trials  (Read 104551 times)

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #75 on: March 04, 2013, 06:08:56 pm
Congratulations!
Home of the Fireball 535 !

darmst6829

• Grease Monkey
  • 206-355-7647
Reply #76 on: March 17, 2013, 03:54:57 pm
FIM has reintroduced a non stop rule into trials. It is highly controversial and many are upset about it. The stopping and setting up for obstacles is still OK in stadium trials but definitely not for outdoor trials. I think the new rule will help the sport. Of course this is all for modern riding but I think the well done video demonstrates how no stop trials works. AHRMA has always been no stop.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YT-RCNFDLtc&feature=player_embedded

darmst6829

• Grease Monkey
  • 206-355-7647
Reply #77 on: April 04, 2013, 06:47:27 am

I got side tracked off the Enfield project by a couple of things: first with the AHRMA season fast approaching I needed a vehicle to haul my dirt bikes so after much consideration I decided the best vehicle would be a van. Lots of room, I don’t have to haul a trailer and if I need to I can sleep in the thing. I wanted a ¾ ton 2006 or later and had a budget of around 10,000. What I found out is that people who own ¾ ton vans put huge miles on them in a hurry and everything in my price range had over 100,000 miles on them! So after consideration I figured that if I take a chance on a high miler why spend so much money on a late model van? I found a 2002 Ford E250 with a big 5.4 liter motor, air conditioning and a trailer hitch for cheap. So I bought it. This left me a bit of extra dough and needing a touring motorcycle to replace my Kawasaki I bought a 1985 Harley Davidson FLHTC Electra Glide. Its cool as shit. A Harley wasn’t on my radar but this one called to me. The motorcycle has the first year Evolution motor, a 5 speed transmission and belt drive. Christina and I needed another touring motorcycle and this one popped up on Craiglist for easy money so we took a chance. The foot boards and controls in general are odd but after ridding it for the last couple of days its becoming more natural. I like the neutral handling and calm air behind the batwing fairing. You need a big hand and a firm pull on the lever to activate the reasonably powerful front brake and the rear brake is fine. The bike shudders at idle and with all the rubber mounted parts jiggling in unison it makes for quit a show!

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #78 on: April 05, 2013, 01:05:08 am
 Congrats darmst6829, you done good and IMHO your EVO is the pinnacle of H-D engine development.
No matter where you go, there, you are.

darmst6829

• Grease Monkey
  • 206-355-7647
Reply #79 on: April 05, 2013, 05:00:15 am
Thanks Ice, the bike is in super condition with only a couple little things that need to be addressed. Steve at European Motorcycles Inc. gave it his approval and that says something as he can be a curmudgeon! I am going to change the front tire and give the bike a thorough going over in preparation for this summers adventures. On the Enfield front I have the bike back together and need to fabricate a skid plate, seat mount, foot peg mounting and fender mounts. I may simply buy the fender stays and fenders from Enfield. Not sure. When I get all that done then I need to ride the thing and see how far off the gearing is.  Dave

darmst6829

• Grease Monkey
  • 206-355-7647

darmst6829

• Grease Monkey
  • 206-355-7647
Reply #81 on: May 09, 2013, 05:13:42 am
So I rode at the Crooked River Steel Stampede and it was an absolute hoot. I placed 2nd in the Classic class trials and won both moto’s in the Classic 250cc class. My big ass plans of playing golf and running two classes at motocross were thrown out the window after arriving worn out and tired. I figured it would be better for me to simply run the two events and enjoy the time off. Lots of really hard crashes this year at Terrebonne. My buddy Tadd Dean got a handlebar in the chest breaking a few ribs and wrecking his weekend. Reese Dengler (of the AHRMA NW) hit a downed rider and took a massive spill eventually sending him to the hospital. I witnessed at least 6 hard get offs. I guess everyone was wound up and ready to party? Anyway I have never won an AHRMA race before and feel it was my best ride on the Sherpa S ever. I really need to pull the barrel and have it rebored. Also both motorcycles are running shabby after the event and I must do some ignition maintenance on both machines. My legs still hurt!

darmst6829

• Grease Monkey
  • 206-355-7647
Reply #82 on: May 26, 2013, 07:33:35 am
I spent all day at my buddy Larry's shop creating foot peg mounts for the Enfield. A shocking amount of time was spent fabricating and mounting such simple parts. I did get to try out his new plasma cutter and Tig welder. I also learned how to set up a proper jig to hold everything in alignment while welding.

darmst6829

• Grease Monkey
  • 206-355-7647
Reply #83 on: May 28, 2013, 04:47:23 am
The right hand foot peg is done. I spent today (yes today as in all day) finishing the right hand foot peg. I needed to be able to move the peg if it didn't work out so to reiterate I went up to my buddies house on Saturday and fabricated both left and right foot peg mounts and today fabricating a removable foot peg mounting for the previously fabricated mount. Confused? So am I. No way should I be confused with mister fabrication man as most of the time the stuff I make turns out slightly out of true or worse but today was magic. I am really happy with my work and have a solid idea of how to build the left foot peg.

darmst6829

• Grease Monkey
  • 206-355-7647
Reply #84 on: May 29, 2013, 02:10:05 pm
Picture added. I mounted the foot peg in the modern way that is almost level with the bottom of the frame and nearly even with the tire. If I don't like it a change can be made without to much trouble.

http://www.enfieldmotorcycles.com/forum/index.php?action=gallery;sa=view;id=4232
« Last Edit: May 29, 2013, 02:13:15 pm by darmst6829 »

darmst6829

• Grease Monkey
  • 206-355-7647
Reply #85 on: June 07, 2013, 01:56:47 pm
I spoke with the good folks at Royal Enfield USA and asked about different size primary chain sprockets and was told they don’t supply anything but the standard size. Specifically I am looking for a smaller crankshaft sprocket to gear the bike down. I did order the smallest counter shaft sprocket available a thirteen tooth but I would still like to gear the bike down more at the primary to hopefully avoid a giant rear final drive sprocket. Anyone have an idea who to call?

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #86 on: June 07, 2013, 02:17:21 pm
I spoke with the good folks at Royal Enfield USA and asked about different size primary chain sprockets and was told they don’t supply anything but the standard size. Specifically I am looking for a smaller crankshaft sprocket to gear the bike down. I did order the smallest counter shaft sprocket available a thirteen tooth but I would still like to gear the bike down more at the primary to hopefully avoid a giant rear final drive sprocket. Anyone have an idea who to call?

They are listed on this page as "Engine sprockets".
http://www.hitchcocksmotorcycles.com/accessory-engine-crankshaft

You will probably need to specify year/model, and whether it is for a KS or ES model crankshaft spline.

darmst6829

• Grease Monkey
  • 206-355-7647
Reply #87 on: June 10, 2013, 03:03:30 pm
Thanks, I will call Hitchcocks today!

darmst6829

• Grease Monkey
  • 206-355-7647
Reply #88 on: June 15, 2013, 05:41:18 am
Hello, we sell a set of trials gears. These are two “compensation gears” that fit into the standard gearbox which lowers 1st, 2nd and 3rd gears whilst maintaining the standard ration for 4th. Most people buy this option as it allows a more practical gear when riding on the road between sections etc.

Part number 90024 at £85 plus VAT and P&P

Regards,

Hitchcock's Motorcycles Ltd.

I think this is the same stuff Enfield USA sells?

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #89 on: June 15, 2013, 11:44:23 am
Hello, we sell a set of trials gears. These are two “compensation gears” that fit into the standard gearbox which lowers 1st, 2nd and 3rd gears whilst maintaining the standard ration for 4th. Most people buy this option as it allows a more practical gear when riding on the road between sections etc.

Part number 90024 at £85 plus VAT and P&P

Regards,

Hitchcock's Motorcycles Ltd.

I think this is the same stuff Enfield USA sells?
Yes, NField Gear has an agreement with Hitchcock to sell that stuff here in the US.
That gear set is only for the 4-speed box.