Author Topic: 4 Speed, Gearbox Problem  (Read 1981 times)

RipleyRich

• Scooter
Reply #15 on: June 15, 2023, 07:18:16 am
Thanks for all the responses and advice folks.
I think at this point its down to my learning to ride it properly!!  ;D
Past Rides:

Honda CB100N
Suzuki RG125 Wolf
Suzuki Bandit 600F
Suzuki GSX 1400
Vespas (Various)
Suzuki T350
Honda Silverwing 600
Yamaha Tracer 700

Current Ride:
Royal Enfield Meteor 350 Supernova Blue
Royal Enfield Bullet 350

tobydell

• Scooter
Reply #16 on: June 15, 2023, 09:09:22 am
Indeed, 'long swinging kick' seems to be the best option  and like I said yesterday was the first outing and the longest the bike has travelled (apart from on a trailer!) in two years, so probably today I will get out and about again to get more used to the quirks, as someone pointed out the gearbox design is getting on for 70 years old and isnt perfect, but treated with the respect that oldies require it should be ok

stinkwheel

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #17 on: June 15, 2023, 11:34:06 am
In fairness, I think those albion boxes were regarded as somewhat clunky and agricultural when bullets first came out.

The way I'd describe it is you change gear by the numbers like a drill manouver and lifting using your leg rather than your toe. Throttle closed 2-3, clutch in 2-3, GEAR 2-3, Clutch out 2-3, throttle on 2-3.

The clutch doesn't help either, a fine line between crabbing and slipping which alters according to time of day and engine temperature. The Bob Newby clutch in my 612 makes gearshifiting much more predictable. I think because it disengages fully when the lever is pulled.