Author Topic: Chinese tires- any good?  (Read 5790 times)

LJRead

on: September 20, 2007, 02:12:09 am
I was going to add this into Luoma's topic on tires, but thought it might get lost in the shuffle.  I have a set of Chinese tires on my car labelled SEG and they are proving themselves.  Only tires I have had that seem never to require air and the tread is holding up okay.  Also see that there is, apparently, a Chinese Metzler clone, and the CMW sells another non-Metzler style for about half the price of Dunlops and the others.  Anyone have experience with them?

HRAB

• I should really edit this
  • Grease Monkey
  • Been there, doin' more...God willing
Reply #1 on: September 20, 2007, 03:09:25 pm
I've run the Cheng Shin dunlop style tires on my touring bike with great mileage and good wet performance. Touring means interstate high speeds and the bike heavily loaded with gear. I've tried agressive riding with them and believe the genuine Dunlops (404's) to be better when beyond the limits of sanity.
BMWMOA www.bmwmoa.com
Iron Butt Association www.ironbutt.com/about/default.cfm
(Formerly) CRA# 118N www.cra-mn.com (I got smarter in old age)
74 Honda XL350 'Scoot'
81 Honda CB650C
86 Gold Wing with California Sidecar
00 Honda ST1100 'Large Marge'

wordherder62

• Scooter
Reply #2 on: September 20, 2007, 10:27:35 pm
No experience with Cheng Shin road tires but their off-road tires are excellent and have always had a good reputation among dirt bike riders as affordable tires with good performance.

t120rbullet

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: September 24, 2007, 05:30:13 pm
I have had good luck with both the Cheng Shin  K70 and the K81 lookalikes.
1972 FLH "Sambo"
1999 Enfield 500 Black Deluxe "Silver"
2023 Guzzi V7 Special "BOB"

Thumper

• Psalm 23
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Classic Wannabe
Reply #4 on: October 03, 2007, 01:49:02 pm
There's a current thread on the Yahoo site about Cheng Shin:

http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/royalenfield/message/56216

dewjantim

• Grease Monkey
Reply #5 on: October 03, 2007, 03:15:11 pm
Those Cheng Shin tires are hard as rocks, slick like snot (at first), and must be made out of pu$$y because they never wear out......just the cold hard facts.....Dew.
If it hurts, you're not dead yet!!!!!

Leonard

• Grand Gearhead
  • I loved this bike!!
Reply #6 on: October 05, 2007, 02:32:08 pm
Here is a shot of my rear Cheng Shin tire on my Bullet after the 1000 mile trip to the Rally on the River.  It has a total of 5K miles now and appears about time to replace.  The front rib tire still looks OK.  I'm not a good enough rider to discuss handling charecterstics but I have noted that the sidewalls are much thinner than the stock Avons.  I think you get what you pay for in this case.

Those Cheng Shin tires are hard as rocks, slick like snot (at first), and must be made out of pu$$y because they never wear out......just the cold hard facts.....Dew.

[old attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: October 05, 2007, 02:33:40 pm by Leonard »
2009 Triumph Bonneville T100
2004 Royal Enfield Sixty-5 (RIP)
2001 Kawasaki W650 (going, going...gone)
http://www.romeoriders.com

Kevin Mahoney

• Gotten my hands dirty on bikes more than once -
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Cozy Sidecar distributor/former Royal Enfield dist
Reply #7 on: October 06, 2007, 01:20:45 am
We sold them about 10 years ago because they had a lower profile and it was a way to lower the bike. Then they discontinued that model and we dropped them.
We picked them up again last year because of the price and because we had customers telling us good things about them. We get generally good reviews about them I was reading something like "Tires today" magazine at Discount Tires the other day and found out that they are from Taiwan instead of Mainland China or as us older guy remember it
"Communist Red China". BTW, I may be laughing about the Pu$$y comment for the next week. How true how true.
Best Regards,
Kevin Mahoney
www.cyclesidecar.com

dewjantim

• Grease Monkey
Reply #8 on: October 20, 2007, 09:16:52 pm
Hey Kevin, glad you liked the off color remark. Thought I would get that one deleted....Dew.
If it hurts, you're not dead yet!!!!!

luoma

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: October 20, 2007, 09:23:15 pm
I was looking at another web site featuring Cheng Shin tires, and it appears they not only have a K81 knock-off, but a K70 knock-off as well. I love the look of the K70, but don't like the Dunlop price tag.

I was going to put new rubber on this spring, but the stock Avons are holding up so well I may wait.

dave48

• Scooter
Reply #10 on: October 21, 2007, 08:35:03 pm
Perhaps unfair because they were old (if little worn), but those as OEM on my 250 Virago were scary in the wet/road paint. A set of Conti Milestones totally transformed the handling/stability.