Author Topic: Someone Tell Me Why....  (Read 5312 times)

PhilJ

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #15 on: March 25, 2009, 12:52:17 pm
When I first get on mine, the front forks drop about one to two inches, with little or no resistance.  Is that an indication of needing oil?  Or maybe go on a diet.

None of the above, LJ.

When the bike is on the center stand or side stand there's very little weight on the forks. When you get astride it should do what you described.

My question arose because a multi viscosity oil didn't make sense to me.

I thought I got some very good answers so I'm going to find some fork specific oil. In your case, in Tonga, you may be at the mercy of your local shops. But really any oil will work, as in Vince's response.

Vince

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #16 on: March 25, 2009, 02:49:39 pm
     Larry, suspension has a certain amount of "sag" engineered in. Typically a street bike will sag about 10-20%. If you have 5" of travel that means 1/2-1" of sag. Dirt bikes run about 30%. This sag, or negative travel allows the suspension to maintain traction on the far side of a bump. With no sag the bike would tend to skate over bumps, particularly in a corner, often resulting in a spill.  Also, to set it up with NO sag would make the suspension impossibly stiff and unresponsive.
     If you have excessive sag you will not be able to fully utilize the suspension. You would get a mushy ride with constant jolts as the suspension bottoms out.
     The springs hold up the bike. The oil controls the spring. If you have too much or too little sag you need new springs. Then you need to adjust the oil weight and volume for the ride you want.

LJRead

• He who learns to live with little or nothing has everything.
  • Grease Monkey
  • Enjoy life in the slow lane
Reply #17 on: March 26, 2009, 06:03:37 am
Thanks for the replies.  The whole bike and its ride feel good to me, but I have no experience to compare it with, but mentally asked myself each time I got on and felt the initial sag, whether it needed oil - thanks, I'll just keep on riding (hoping it doesn't rain tomorrow!)
Lawrence J. Read
Vava'u
Tonga Islands
South Pacific

2002 Machismo, 2003 RE rickshaw with Thunderbird base

clamp

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #18 on: March 28, 2009, 03:51:02 pm
In another bike of mine I used corn oil for cooking, It works ok and of course is low cholesterol.

I dont want to get on a save the world debate but no oil should be wasted. You got an oil can aint you?

I have made my own creosote with a bit of diesel mixed into old engine oil. 

It can also be used for mangie dogs, I good soaking in old engine oil kills the parasites.

The dog quite enjoys the attention at first but then has different ideas,-- Dont let the dog in the house what ever you do.

Ive used ATF as a hand cleaner and deisel as a mosquito repelant.
I would never be a member of a cub that would have me as a member

Rick Sperko

• Grand Gearhead
  • Milwaukee, WI
Reply #19 on: June 05, 2009, 12:10:46 am
How is SAE 20 (non-detergent) compare to SAE 20W for fork oil. I just learned the W stands for Winter, not Weight.

Thanks,
-Rick
Rick in Milwaukee, WI

'06 RE Bullet Classic Iron
'63 VW Beetle Ragtop (also classic)
'66 Chris Craft Cavalier Cutlass 26'
'02 BMW R1150R

Geirskogul

• Grand Gearhead
  • The world isn't beautiful, therefore it is.
Reply #20 on: June 05, 2009, 02:30:26 am
     Ive used ATF as a hand cleaner and deisel as a mosquito repelant.

That's well and good, except that complex hydrocarbons are known carcinogens.

Anywhoo, when I first got my bike after a stop the forks would compress, but not come back up unless I popped them up manually, or went over some bumpy road.  I do weigh 250, but it still wasn't good.  Stole an idea from Rick about using a car antenna as a dipstick and found I had about 9" of oil in there, too low!  I just topped it off with some Type F ATF I had handy to the recommended 15", and it rides just fine.

Plus side is that it looks like I'm checking the "blood" of the bike with the red ATF, and red ATF is much easier to read on my "dipstick" than the stock clear oil it had in it.

That's thinkin' with yer dipstick, jimmy!   *smack*
All hail Sir Lucas, Prince of Darkness.

When an idiot thinks it's the same as not thinking at all!

dogbone

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #21 on: June 05, 2009, 02:23:11 pm
Is fork oil just hydraulic oil ?
99 Enfield Bullet 535
a man isn't drunk,if he can lie on the floor without hanging on

1Blackwolf1

• Grand Gearhead
  • Looking for the next rebuild project....
Reply #22 on: June 05, 2009, 04:02:52 pm

That's thinkin' with yer dipstick, jimmy!   *smack*

I agree. ::) ::)
Will Morrison
2007 500 Military
2000 Kawasaki Drifter 1500
2000 Victory V92SC
1976 Suzuki GT185 Rebuilder Special..AKA (Junkyard Dog)
Many, many other toys.
The garage is full.

clamp

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #23 on: June 06, 2009, 05:32:41 am
When I first get on mine, the front forks drop about one to two inches, with little or no resistance.  Is that an indication of needing oil?  Or maybe go on a diet.

Both probably.

Well what I do is walk across the road and by 2 bottles of motorcycle fork oil from the little accessories shop. They have a stand there with just about any oil you could think of, even synthetics. At 80 cents a bottle It is sold in 200cl  for easy calculation of quantity.

My Suzi 1400 book says SAE 10 fork oil,   300 cl so I buy  3 bottles.

Easy init?

Auto   transmission oil is 62 viscosity
I would never be a member of a cub that would have me as a member