Author Topic: Website for the biodiesel adventure  (Read 3852 times)

geoffbaker

Reply #15 on: June 30, 2009, 04:39:16 pm
jonapplegate I might be able to do a little weight analysis, but it might have to wait until after the trip.

Of course, there is no end to the work that could be done to increase efficiencies in the engine and drivetrain, and if I was a millionaire I'd be remanufacturing parts in alumninum and titantium and silicoboron steel....

Apart from $300 I spent improving my $350 engine, I've done nothing to the mechanics!

Other parts I WILL lose:

1) I can move the battery to the RS toolbox and remove the battery case and frame.
2) Remove the black plate that used to hold the coil that bots between mudguard and frame
3) Remove the rear military mudguard frame and replace with regular mudguard stays
4) Remove the round flywheel cover and replace with lightweight steel mesh cover

Some other things I might do for weight savings:

I can go through and replace a lot of standard nuts and bolts with aluminum ones (on covers and non-mechanical parts that are not under stress).
I can go to a much lower weight 'beanie' half-helmet
Switch back to 35W halogen headlamp from HID - no ballast/ignitor, less weight

Any other tips and suggestions for weight savings much appreciated!

Yes bob, I hated losing the highway pegs but they went with the crashbar - which I also really like having... but that was about ten pounds right there!

Rick Sperko

• Grand Gearhead
  • Milwaukee, WI
Reply #16 on: June 30, 2009, 06:05:17 pm
You could always grease yourself up and ride in your skivvies. Lower wind resistance and weight!

Being in Wisconsin, I won't accidentally happen upon you, so I can suggest this ;)
Rick in Milwaukee, WI

'06 RE Bullet Classic Iron
'63 VW Beetle Ragtop (also classic)
'66 Chris Craft Cavalier Cutlass 26'
'02 BMW R1150R

geoffbaker

Reply #17 on: June 30, 2009, 06:12:04 pm
Rick, I've got enough restraining orders on me already :D

1Blackwolf1

• Grand Gearhead
  • Looking for the next rebuild project....
Reply #18 on: July 01, 2009, 01:01:32 pm
  Good luck on the journey, keep us updated on your progress.  You're quite the pioneer.  Will.
Will Morrison
2007 500 Military
2000 Kawasaki Drifter 1500
2000 Victory V92SC
1976 Suzuki GT185 Rebuilder Special..AKA (Junkyard Dog)
Many, many other toys.
The garage is full.