Author Topic: New one-banger competition for the Enfields this 2009 year....  (Read 17147 times)

chazzlee

• Scooter
I've been considering the new EFI Royal Enfield as my next new machine, but at $3500-$3700 list the new Suzuki standard TU250 one-lunger (also with EFI) is going to make the more than $6K price of an Enfield a huge drawback for me.
Plus the Suzuki has a large USA dealership backup, and a much better (so far anyway) reputation for reliability...  There is an Enfield dealer near me, but it's a one man operation with the dealer being both seller and mechanic... 

-I don't know if an additional almost $3K for the Enfield is worth it to me just for the cool retro effect, y'know? This Suzie one lunger could be repainted and retro-ed pretty easily; European reviewers who've checked out the bike are already calling it Suzuki's Triumph Bonneville. And while the Suzuki is only a 250, it's top end is right up there with the 500cc Enfield's!

The TU250 is not in at USA dealerships yet, but when it is I'll be checking out both it and the new UCE-EFI Enfield very throughly... $3K is a lot of $$$ for me, especially in this new economy!  :-\
Chazzlee
« Last Edit: March 12, 2009, 10:50:41 pm by chazzlee »

Vince

• Grand Gearhead
     If you are looking only for utility then you are probably right. If you want a fabulous bike to ride the Enfield has what you need. Take one on a test ride. You'll see what I mean.

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
  • R.I.P Papa Juan, Uncle Ernie
I've read a few articles on that 250 suzi, it gets good review's and looks good too.
On the eighth day God created the C5, and it was better looking than anything on the planet.
Iron Butt Association

Alaroyal

• Bulleteer
While you're checking out the Suzi 250, take a look at the S40 single 650, formerly the Savage.  My local dealer had a 4000.00 tag on a new one last week, and probably it could be bought for a tad less than that.  It has a belt drive, which to me is a huge advantage.
Dave

"The reason most people don't recognize opportunity when it knocks, is because opportunity almost wears work clothes."

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
I think you'll find there is a massive difference in the way the 2 bikes ride.

The UCE has about double the torque, and the TU250 will need to be revved and shifted alot more to keep on the power.

I personally don't see these 2 machines in the same class at all.
But, if low cost is the deciding factor and you want some kind of single, then I suppose the TU250 is an option.
Home of the Fireball 535 !

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
You are very right, not in the same class at all. I'll have a Royal Enfield please.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2009, 12:53:40 am by r80rt »
On the eighth day God created the C5, and it was better looking than anything on the planet.
Iron Butt Association

Kruiser

• Bulleteer
The Suzuki TU250 seems like a pretty decent value, but to me it's not Special. 
RE's to me, especially the new ones, are Special.

Blue Ridge Wheeltor

• Grand Gearhead
I went looking for the TU250 at the cycle show, and was very disappointed. It looked like a toy compared to the other bikes.
I am sure it is a reliable bike, but it has no character. If all you want is transportation, it would be fine. If you are looking for a riding experience, skip it and get the Enfield.

I've had a lot of bikes. If all I want is an appliance to get from point A to point B, I'd get a Toyota Corolla.

Comparing the Suzuki to the new Enfield is like saying a Corolla is a better car than a Miata. It depends on what you need it to do. One you steer, one you drive.
REA #25
2008 Royal Enfield Deluxe (Blue)
2006 Ural Patrol
1978 BMW R 100s--SOLD--
1977 HD XLCR
1971 Triumph Bonneville

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
I'm sure it will appeal to some but not my cup of tea really.
Apples to oranges as they say.
I believe the Bullet to have more torque from the get go.
A bullet engine can be built with double the out put.
Spares are inexpensive,readily available and will be for quite some time.

Just my .02 cents worth,,,,,,
No matter where you go, there, you are.

Bullet Bill

• Scooter
Part of what interests me in these new Enfields is their supposed untapped potential.  Wasn't there a report earlier on that claimed the new engine was capable of 50-ish horsepower (with custom work, that is)?  Actually, I wouldn't know where to start to get that kind of power out of the Bullet... hypothetically, of course, and in a world where such customization is one hundred percent legal.

Any (strictly hypothetical) ideas?
There's something that doesn't make sense... let's go and poke it with a stick.

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: March 13, 2009, 11:29:46 am
The only Mod I'm interested in is the upswept pipe for the C5, purely because it looks so cool. If there is a small increase in power that's good too, I think the UCE will have all the power I need or want from a Bullet. If I want fast, there are a lot of fast bikes on the market at good prices. I want a classy, vintage style big single, I've owned and ridden lots of bikes, Honda,Harley,Norton, BSA, Yamaha, Kawasaki, Suzuki, Triumph, Ducati, Ural, Chang Jiang and others. The most fun I ever had was on a 1940 BSA 500cc flathead and I've wanted a modern equivalent that I could ride without wearing out expensive hard to find parts. The Bullet Classic delivers in spades.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2009, 09:54:56 pm by r80rt »
Iron Butt Association

prof_stack

Reply #11 on: March 13, 2009, 01:34:33 pm
The TU250 MSRP shot up to $3,800 over the past few months. 

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.  I think the TU looks good but think the G5 and C5 look great. 

I'd like to testride the TU.  The local Suzuki shop is about 4 miles away.  I also want to testride the G5 and get to drive 60 miles to Vince's, who should open a Seattle dealership.   ;D

PhilJ

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #12 on: March 13, 2009, 01:52:49 pm
Prof, after reading your post I think I heard the cardboard boxes being packed at Vince's. You got a spare lot net to your house for his new location?   8) ::)

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #13 on: March 13, 2009, 03:37:43 pm
Part of what interests me in these new Enfields is their supposed untapped potential.  Wasn't there a report earlier on that claimed the new engine was capable of 50-ish horsepower (with custom work, that is)?  Actually, I wouldn't know where to start to get that kind of power out of the Bullet... hypothetically, of course, and in a world where such customization is one hundred percent legal.

Any (strictly hypothetical) ideas?

If anything like that could happen, it will come from the aftermarket, and not from Chennai.
My recollection was that maybe 40hp might be attainable with certain un-named mods.
Home of the Fireball 535 !

Cabo Cruz

• Papa Juan
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #14 on: March 13, 2009, 03:42:04 pm
"My recollection was that maybe 40hp might be attainable with certain un-named mods."  ace.cafe

Ditto!!!
Long live the Bullets and those who ride them!

Keep the shiny side up, the boots on the pegs and best REgards,

Papa Juan

REA:    Member No. 119
BIKE:   2004 Royal Enfield Sixty-5
NAME: Perla