Author Topic: Shifting problem  (Read 5000 times)

Slider

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #15 on: March 12, 2009, 04:56:08 pm
Quote from: Kevin Mahoney
1. Adjust your clutch as tight as you dare. This is at the root of more than 50% of the shifting problems with the 4 speed

Mine's a 5 speed. Still a factor anyway?

7. Get in the habit of using the neutral finder, It is a great help

What's a neutral finder?

I must retreat to my place of Zen and meditate on this.

Kevin Mahoney

• Gotten my hands dirty on bikes more than once -
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Cozy Sidecar distributor/former Royal Enfield dist
Reply #16 on: March 12, 2009, 04:58:28 pm
I am completely off base here. I thought you were talking about a 4 speed
Best Regards,
Kevin Mahoney
www.cyclesidecar.com

Foggy_Auggie

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #17 on: March 12, 2009, 05:59:51 pm
Quote from: Kevin Mahoney

What's a neutral finder?

To Slider,

The neutral finder is only on the older 4-speed transmissions.

Make sure your clutch has the minimal freeplay at the lever.

Experiment with the spline placement of your shift  lever - i.e. try it rotated one spline up and then one spline down from it's present spline configuration.  What feels best for your ankle and shoe size (which is a major consideration) leave it like that for a spell.

What is comfortable in feel will eventually wire into the brain.  Firm ratchet shifts with a conscious effort will eventually be done with no conscious thought of it.  A learned action being done automatically while mental focus is on driving defensively.

The occasional missed shift or false neutral (which happens to any bike) being the only thing to require momentary attention.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2009, 06:01:30 pm by Foggy_Auggie »
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.

Fortiter Et Fideliter

Slider

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #18 on: March 12, 2009, 06:42:05 pm
The occasional false neutral is understood, I get that with my Honda once in a while. But this is happening every downshift into 2nd with my Bullet.

Well, due to circumstances beyond my control, I won't have a chance to ride again until Monday at least. But I'll look into those other factors. Thanks.

The Garbone

• Shade Tree
  • Grand Gearhead
  • User Complaints: 22
Reply #19 on: March 12, 2009, 11:48:52 pm
I did a RH shift conversion on my 5 speed, It helped a little bit with shifting feel and it helps braking also..

Gary
57' RE Crusader 250
67' Ford Mustang
74' Catalina 27 "Knot a Clew"
95 RE Ace Clubman 535
01 HD 1200 Custom
07 RE 5spd HaCK

* all actions described in this post are fictional *

Slider

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #20 on: March 13, 2009, 12:01:48 am
How did it help braking? What's involved in converting to RH shift?

Nice looking bike, by the way.

The Garbone

• Shade Tree
  • Grand Gearhead
  • User Complaints: 22
Reply #21 on: March 13, 2009, 01:03:39 am
It removes the brake linkage from right to left, actually uses a different pivot point on the frame for the brake and gives a bit more of a positive feel (IMO).  I did not realize the mount bracket for the LH brake was already there until I removed my RH brake setup.

As for shifting it replaces the 1foot shift rod that runs across the bike with a short spline.   

If you got a few $100s in your pocket and a weekend to tear down your bike it might help.  I personally would just wait till your bike gets over  2k miles before doing any drastic changes just for your shifting problems. Also once you break it in more and change out your gear oil it might just fix itself.

Gary
57' RE Crusader 250
67' Ford Mustang
74' Catalina 27 "Knot a Clew"
95 RE Ace Clubman 535
01 HD 1200 Custom
07 RE 5spd HaCK

* all actions described in this post are fictional *

geoffbaker

Reply #22 on: March 13, 2009, 01:12:32 am
It removes the brake linkage from right to left, actually uses a different pivot point on the frame for the brake and gives a bit more of a positive feel (IMO).  I did not realize the mount bracket for the LH brake was already there until I removed my RH brake setup.

As for shifting it replaces the 1foot shift rod that runs across the bike with a short spline.   

If you got a few $100s in your pocket and a weekend to tear down your bike it might help.  I personally would just wait till your bike gets over  2k miles before doing any drastic changes just for your shifting problems. Also once you break it in more and change out your gear oil it might just fix itself.

Gary is right, I did a RH shift conversion on my 4sp and it helped, both gearing and braking. Smoother and more responsive on both ends. A worthwhile mod.

But nothing solves my overshooting neutral. It's just the way it is... something about the age of the bike and the size of my feet...

Slider

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #23 on: March 13, 2009, 01:24:29 am
Quote from: geoffbaker
But nothing solves my overshooting neutral.

You mean going from 3rd to 2nd and ending up in neutral?

jonapplegate

• Grand Gearhead
  • you stand tall when you stoop to help
Reply #24 on: March 13, 2009, 02:07:22 am
You mentioned that you have just 300 mi. on your bike. I never experienced the same problem you described but I certainly noticed some tranny "weirdness" for several hundred mi. when my bike was new. Perfect one day and then mysteriously not so perfect the next. Settled in very nicely eventually. Shift positively, no need to be real careful. Don't slam it into gear either, though. This style of shifter doesn't really overshoot a gear easily. Perhaps you are being to careful and it isn't recognizing the shift?
 Maybe if you are near a dealer or competent mechanic, you can have it looked at and adjusted and start fresh. The 5-speed doesn't seem to have that many problems associated with it. Maybe just needs to be adjusted and then shifted without fear of overshooting your shift and everything may be fine.

shrugger

• Chinese symbols for "Serenity"
  • Scooter
Reply #25 on: March 13, 2009, 02:47:01 pm
Same here till around 800 miles.  False neutral between 5th and 4th and 3rd
didn't want to go into 1st if comletely stopped. Sometimes I couldn't find neutral
to save my life (That one never really improved :P)
Still not sure if I just got used to it, or it sorted itself out. It did improve with miles.

I now have the miricle clutch and RH shift.
Best improvement I've done.
I WILL NEVER GO BACK! ;D

Bear in mind though, that it's not one for the feint of heart. I had it done at the dealer
It was nearly $1k :o  But I'm glad I had them do it. Through no fault of CMW,
The clutch kit was 4 speed though clearly marked 5 speed. And some parts were
missing from the shift kit.
Had I been doing it. I'd have gone off the end and shot my poor Bullet to death ::)
2008 Bullet 500 Classic AVL

Sag Harbor~Bullet

• Scooter
Reply #26 on: March 14, 2009, 09:13:42 pm
I had my share of false neutrals before getting more familiar with the bike.
Now there's rarely any. We know each other well. ... It was like breaking in a horse.

Shift it like you mean it. Any lazy shifting and they can get quirky.
2007 Bullet Deluxe