Author Topic: Shifting problem  (Read 4999 times)

Slider

• Grand Gearhead
on: March 11, 2009, 10:21:04 pm
When I downshift from 3rd to 2nd ('08 Classic iron), it almost always misses 2nd and goes into neutral. Then I have to shift up to get it into 2nd. Less than 300 miles on the bike, by the way. It wasn't doing this until recently. It seems to be happening more often the more I ride it.

Any ideas?

I must retreat to my place of Zen and meditate on this.

Rick Sperko

• Grand Gearhead
  • Milwaukee, WI
Reply #1 on: March 11, 2009, 10:37:17 pm
I am sure you have read about it, and it sounds silly, but moving my shifter up a spline resolved my problems with this. It just changed the length of time and pressure. I know there are several posts on this around the forum.

-Rick
Rick in Milwaukee, WI

'06 RE Bullet Classic Iron
'63 VW Beetle Ragtop (also classic)
'66 Chris Craft Cavalier Cutlass 26'
'02 BMW R1150R

Slider

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: March 11, 2009, 11:07:23 pm
I've already moved it up. I might move it back down because it's a bit hard to shift up.

PhilJ

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: March 11, 2009, 11:38:15 pm
If not yet checked, check the clutch adjustment.

geoffbaker

Reply #4 on: March 12, 2009, 12:23:48 am
I think these beasts just have bad shifts. Mine always has  a problem finding neutral - I overshoot - and many many hours spent on it has done nothing for it at all.

Royal.Oilfield

Reply #5 on: March 12, 2009, 01:01:02 am
I think these beasts just have bad shifts. Mine always has  a problem finding neutral - I overshoot - and many many hours spent on it has done nothing for it at all.

Have you evr tried this >http://www.nandanmotors.com/adj_neutralfinder.html<?

Regards

The Garbone

• Shade Tree
  • Grand Gearhead
  • User Complaints: 22
Reply #6 on: March 12, 2009, 01:47:36 am
Post deleted due to poster dumbassery.......
« Last Edit: March 12, 2009, 01:50:38 am by The Garbone »
Gary
57' RE Crusader 250
67' Ford Mustang
74' Catalina 27 "Knot a Clew"
95 RE Ace Clubman 535
01 HD 1200 Custom
07 RE 5spd HaCK

* all actions described in this post are fictional *

Phlakaton

• Bulleteer
Reply #7 on: March 12, 2009, 02:15:44 pm
when shifting from 3rd to 4th I seem to miss and go nuetral a lot... then I need to punch down to either get 3rd or come back up again to hit 4th... if I just shift up after it missing I go straight to 5th and I say hell  with it and roll with the miss.  hahaha.

This happens way more when it's warm outside than cold.  I dont think it ever happens when its cold now that I think about it.  1600 miles in now.
'08 Bullet 500 Iron ES

geoffbaker

Reply #8 on: March 12, 2009, 02:17:59 pm

Have you evr tried this >http://www.nandanmotors.com/adj_neutralfinder.html<?

Regards

Yes. my neutral finder works fine. Shouldn't have to use it though, imo...

baird4444

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2003 ES 500... 38,416 miles, I'm done
Reply #9 on: March 12, 2009, 03:14:45 pm
when shifting from 3rd to 4th I seem to miss and go nuetral a lot... then I need to punch down to either get 3rd or come back up again to hit 4th... if I just shift up after it missing I go straight to 5th and I say hell  with it and roll with the miss.  hahaha.
This happens way more when it's warm outside than cold.  I dont think it ever happens when its cold now that I think about it.  1600 miles in now.
try being more deliberate  when shifting. I don't mean to stomp or jerk, just be firm. Also hold the shifter up or down with your toe till you have released the clutch.
                              - Mike
'My dear you are ugly,
 but tomorrow I shall be sober and you will still be ugly'
 - Winston Churchill

Cabo Cruz

• Papa Juan
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: March 12, 2009, 03:18:50 pm
"try being more deliberate  when shifting. I don't mean to stomp or jerk, just be firm. Also hold the shifter up or down with your toe till you have released the clutch."
                              - Mike

That's the ticket, Brother Mike!!!
Long live the Bullets and those who ride them!

Keep the shiny side up, the boots on the pegs and best REgards,

Papa Juan

REA:    Member No. 119
BIKE:   2004 Royal Enfield Sixty-5
NAME: Perla

Slider

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #11 on: March 12, 2009, 03:42:51 pm

I had something similar happen a couple of times. I downshifted from 4th to 3rd, but it went into neutral. Without thinking, my immediate reation was to try downshifting again into 3rd, but it went into 1st (ouch!). Later I started to second-guess myself and wonder if I just thought I was in a different gear than I really was. But after contemplating my current state of mental health, I came to the conclusion that I'm not insane and I really am having shifting problems.

How does the clutch adjustment affect this? I did tighten the clutch cable a little bit a couple of weeks ago when I moved the lever assembly inboard just a bit so the end of the lever would clear the bar-end mirror.

Kevin Mahoney

• Gotten my hands dirty on bikes more than once -
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Cozy Sidecar distributor/former Royal Enfield dist
Reply #12 on: March 12, 2009, 03:49:39 pm
Suggestions from years worth of helping customers with this issue. Some have been mentioned
1. Adjust your clutch as tight as you dare. This is at the root of more than 50% of the shifting problems with the 4 speed
2. Remember that this is a ratchet mechanism and when you shift you need to full release the shifter so that it can ratchet to the next gear.
3. A miracle clutch can help because the do not drag as much as a 4 speed clutch.
http://store.royalenfieldusa.com/maintenance-repair/clutch/royal-enfield-miracle-clutch
4. Make sure your chain is properly adjusted as it can interfere
5. Have someone hold the bike up and look up between the left hand engine case and the inner primary cover. Operate the shifter and make sure that the mechanism doesn't  foul the frame. DO NOT do this with the center stand down as it will appear that you have a problem that you do not have. It is fouling the answer is a grinder.
6. You will never eliminate all of the false neutrals, we used to say that we had a neutral for every gear.
7. Get in the habit of using the neutral finder, It is a great help
8. At stop lights keep the bike in neutral not in gear with the clutch pulled in. The four speed can heat up easier than the other transmission's.
9. Consider a bushing kit http://store.royalenfieldusa.com/maintenance-repair/transmission/4-speed-bushing-kit or a right hand shift kit. http://store.royalenfieldusa.com/maintenance-repair/transmission/right-hand-shift-kit-110 Use instruction found on the net or this site for adjusting the butterfly plate inside the outer cover. Do this AFTER you have tried the other stuff as it can be tedious.
Best Regards,
Kevin Mahoney
www.cyclesidecar.com

DonK

• Bulleteer
Reply #13 on: March 12, 2009, 03:53:52 pm
Here's my solution:
I modified my neutral lever to a hand shifter.
I up shift with my foot, never had  a problem there, but I always had a problem down shifting.
The shifter has quite a lot of travel, from 4th to 1st but it works like a charm when  down shifting
You actually feel it engage the gears no guessing, and neutral is easy to find

Kevin Mahoney

• Gotten my hands dirty on bikes more than once -
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Cozy Sidecar distributor/former Royal Enfield dist
Reply #14 on: March 12, 2009, 03:54:54 pm
Don,
I have ALWAYS wanted to do that. I am glad to see someone who has succeeded
Best Regards,
Kevin Mahoney
www.cyclesidecar.com