Author Topic: 3250 Miles on a Bullet Military  (Read 2954 times)

Grommit

• Green is Beautiful
  • Scooter
on: March 08, 2009, 02:13:15 am
I am a new member of the forum, having just today purchased a 2009 Bullet Military from Kick Start in Columbus, Ohio. I intend to ride from Washington, D.C to San Francisco this summer. I will be part of a convoy organized by the Military Vehicle Preservation Association (MVPA) recreating a 1919 convoy by the US Army Transportation Corps over the "Lincoln Highway", most of which is US30 today.
We currently have over thirty vehicles which will participate in the whole route, and many others joining and leaving the convoy in their respective states. The convoy leaves June 13th and arrives in San Francisco July 10th. All this is to give some background on this trip. I intend to run up the break-in miles prior to departure however the route speed will be limited to no more than 30-40 miles per hour due to the age of the many WWII vehicles.
I would be interested in any suggestions the group would have for spare parts and little things to take care of before a problem develops on the road. I've been assured of fast support from the folks in Minnesota (thanks, Kevin) if I need something I've not brought along.
One concern I have is the seat. I would like to put a solo seat (the Lycett copy) on the Military as it's more correct for the period. I also want to be able to walk at the end of a day's ride, so any comments from those with this seat would be welcome!
Ian Wallace, Ostrander, Ohio
1960 Daimler Ferret Armoured Car
2007 Honda Shadow Sabre
2009 Bullet Military

Kevin Mahoney

• Gotten my hands dirty on bikes more than once -
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Cozy Sidecar distributor/former Royal Enfield dist
Reply #1 on: March 08, 2009, 07:20:43 pm
Ian stopped by Classic Motorworks not too long ago. Glad you got the bike. This is a cool trip he is going on. I hope all of us can get the blow by blow as you are on it.
Best Regards,
Kevin Mahoney
www.cyclesidecar.com

Grommit

• Green is Beautiful
  • Scooter
Reply #2 on: March 09, 2009, 01:10:04 am
I intend to keep a daily log of the trip, along with as many photos as I can take and still hold a handlebar with one hand! I may even be able to post periodic reports on this forum so long as I can find WiFi hot spots at the overnight locations.
Please note that this not a closed convoy, and that any person who joins the MVPA ($35) can "enlist" in the convoy - see details at the MVPA web page: www.mvpa.org. In any case if anyone is interested, send me an email.
1960 Daimler Ferret Armoured Car
2007 Honda Shadow Sabre
2009 Bullet Military

woodboats

• Grease Monkey
  • New Zealand
Reply #3 on: March 09, 2009, 03:30:37 am
Sounds like a great journey!
I am off tomorrow for my first NZ RE Rally. It is being held in the South Island and I am at the top of the North Island. I have allowed 2 weeks, approx 3200 klm. I think I will be attending from the furthest away. Might mean a free beer!

What I have done this week is a full service, oil, filters, plug, chain etc.
The parts I will be carrying are 3 cables (clutch, brake, throttle), 1 hand lever,1 oil filter, plug, tire tube, repair kit, 2 lt oil, electrical tape, tool kit and a few cleaning bits and pieces. I am one of those guys that clean my bike when travelling. Sort of a reward for getting me there plus it gives me a good chance to go over things.

The neat thing about using your Enfield on a longish trip is that it makes it a real adventure. It will be great to see a travel repot of your trip.
Ours: 2006 Bullet Deluxe 500
Hers: 2007 Yamaha V Star 650
His: 2007 Honda Shadow Aero 750