Author Topic: The first time  (Read 29965 times)

Cabo Cruz

• Papa Juan
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #60 on: March 17, 2009, 10:13:53 pm
"... I think I could get along quite nicely with one of these UCE machines."  Chasfield

Well, Brother Chas, after you get a LIVE and IN-LIVING-COLOR look at these new babes, you will likely change your statement, as follows:

I think know I could get along quite nicely with one of these UCE machines.

So, Chas, irrespective of how far Tyneside, UK might be from the nearest RE dealer, I encourage you to take the time to confirm the facts I shared through my G5/UCE report.   :)

"... I am happy for your excitement for it has rubbed off on me. Keep up your enthusiastic post!"  Blltrdr

Brother B you are very kind and I thank you!  For a worthy cause, thanks to God, I still have more enthusiasm than many youngsters!  And, although I grow old, I am totally committed to not growing up!    :D
Long live the Bullets and those who ride them!

Keep the shiny side up, the boots on the pegs and best REgards,

Papa Juan

REA:    Member No. 119
BIKE:   2004 Royal Enfield Sixty-5
NAME: Perla

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
  • R.I.P Papa Juan, Uncle Ernie
Reply #61 on: March 17, 2009, 10:19:33 pm
My Bonneville rides pretty darn good, no complaints after four years with it. So if this new Bullet is better I can't wait to try it,
On the eighth day God created the C5, and it was better looking than anything on the planet.
Iron Butt Association

Vince

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #62 on: March 18, 2009, 12:34:19 am
     Cabo, that's a great report. And you got a  two hour bike ride and a free lunch also!  You are much more eloquent than I could be. The mechanical stuff was easy for me to analyze but you captured soul better than I could.  It is a great looker as well as a great rider.

Cabo Cruz

• Papa Juan
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #63 on: March 18, 2009, 01:31:43 am
"... The mechanical stuff was easy for me to analyze but you captured soul better than I could.  It is a great looker as well as a great rider."  Vince

Brother Vince, you are also very kind and I thank you!  We could make a good team -- you wrench 'em up and I talk 'em up!  (I could use some wrenching training, also!)  :D

Vince, since you were born on a motorcycle, I truly trust your apparent affirmation of the fact that the new -- forget this modified stuff -- swing arm turns the G5 into "a great rider."  Are we, in fact, on the same page of the Swing Arm Hymnal, Brother?  I look forward to receiving your categorical, unequivocal confirmation, Vince.

Papa Juan

daves02ES

• Bulleteer
  • Thump Thump
Reply #64 on: March 18, 2009, 03:28:50 am
What a write-up Cabo.

It made me get out on my '02 ES tonight and go for a ride after work and try to forget about the new bike. When the nearest dealer gets them in, I'll have to go see them for myself (if I dare).

I'm happy with my old iron Bullet, but the new ones sound great, and still a Bullet!

As much as I already want the new one, I'll hopefully keep mine for years.

Dave
2002 Bullet ES

Cabo Cruz

• Papa Juan
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #65 on: March 18, 2009, 04:35:07 am
"... I'm happy with my old iron Bullet, but the new ones sound great, and still a Bullet!  As much as I already want the new one, I'll hopefully keep mine for years."  Dave

Brother Dave, you are also very kind and I thank you!  I am delighted to hear that you took your 02 ES for a ride even if the reason was to try forget some nut's G5/UCE report.   :)

I, too, am very "happy with my old iron Bullet", my friend.  Perla is like a member of the family and, as in your case, I hope to keep her for a long, long time!  As I said in an earlier response, Dave, I have to get my lovely CFO to release some play funds so that I can also have a new Bullet -- next to my old Bullet -- in the garage!   ;)

Papa Juan

PaulF

• Grease Monkey
Reply #66 on: March 18, 2009, 04:24:27 pm
Cabo and Vince - Is the new motor counter-balanced? What is vibration like?

Cabo - You have an Element? I have an Element. And if you love your Iron Lung, I don't think you have to worry. Since RE built about 10 bizillion of them. I think parts availability won't ever be a problem.

Cheers

Vince

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #67 on: March 18, 2009, 06:08:02 pm
     Cabo, with the reinforcing at the swing arm pivot handling would be enhanced. The bike will be a little more sure footed. I can't wait to get a set of Avon AM 26's on there.
     Paul, the engine is not counter balanced, but it is properly balanced for the RPM range that it will mostly run in.  In that range it is a joy. The vibration is not annoying or bothersome or even particularly noticeable. Above and below that sweet range there is some  vibration. Don't lug or over rev the engine and you will never notice it.
     Even with all the advancements the new Enfield is still an Enfield. It will appeal to a wider group than we now have, but it will still be a group that has some soulful connection to a piece of mechanical art. The only people that will complain about vibration or ride will be the riders that should be on a HonaYamaZuki 2800 cruiser complete with a holder for his latte.

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #68 on: March 18, 2009, 06:39:23 pm
 Had the mechanical advances of the UCE breed been introduced in 1965, Today's motorcycle landscape would likely be somewhat different.

No matter where you go, there, you are.

Cabo Cruz

• Papa Juan
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #69 on: March 19, 2009, 02:40:15 am
Brother Paulie, yessir, it is a 2006, stick shift Element in metallic silver with the blue panels!  And, as for the old Iron Lung gal, parts availability, as you said, "won't ever be a problem."  Paul, you got the UCE vibration answer from Doctor Vince!

Brother Vince, I thank you for confirming my impression of the enhanced handling of the G5.  Perla, who is a terrific dancing partner, may frown a bit when she learns that the G5 is una prima bellerina!   Well, on second thought, I might keep this fact under my helmet... what Perla doesn't know can't hurt her!   ;)   

Papa Juan

holodeck

• Bulleteer
Reply #70 on: March 19, 2009, 03:36:13 am
Vince, Have you had her out on I-5 ( the local  super slab ) yet ? If so what is the sweet spot ? Will it take some higher gearing for a real long road trip ?

Vince

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #71 on: March 19, 2009, 04:40:13 pm
     Even though The UCE is rated for freeway use, I would not ride ANY new bike on the freeway until it is thoroughly broken in. It will  be at least 1000 miles before I take it at those speeds. I did not even feel comfortable with my 10 second foray to 45MPH to check engine feel.
     I always follow the book on break in and do it nice and slow and gentle.This always rewards with smooth, powerful, good running, and low maintenance vehicles.
     Based on feel (backed by experience) I'm sure that it will do just fine on the freeway. BUT (here it comes) based on experience I would recommend limited freeway duty for ANY single cylinder engine. When I get a Suzuki Savage 650 or a Kawasaki KLR650 in the shop I can always tell which ones have spent a lot of time on the freeway. Those ones start to rattle and smoke by the time they approach 15 to 20 thousand miles. The limitation seems to be the single cylinder.
     I would not recommend a daily 20 mile freeway commute for any bike in this class. Use the ability when you need to, but avoid the super slab as much as possible. It would be the difference between a 25,000 mile and a 50,000 mile engine.

HRAB

• I should really edit this
  • Grease Monkey
  • Been there, doin' more...God willing
Reply #72 on: March 19, 2009, 11:30:18 pm
 [snip] The only people that will complain about vibration or ride will be the riders that should be on a HonaYamaZuki 2800 cruiser complete with a holder for his latte.

My HonaYamZuki 2800 dosen't have a latte holder! I need a new one!  :o
jim
BMWMOA www.bmwmoa.com
Iron Butt Association www.ironbutt.com/about/default.cfm
(Formerly) CRA# 118N www.cra-mn.com (I got smarter in old age)
74 Honda XL350 'Scoot'
81 Honda CB650C
86 Gold Wing with California Sidecar
00 Honda ST1100 'Large Marge'

JamesC5

• Bulleteer
Reply #73 on: March 20, 2009, 11:34:29 pm
Hey all!

I just bought a C5, will take possession next weekend!  Been drooling over pictures for months and when a dealer got one of the first ones in I dropped by and ended up dropping down my cash, just couldn't let it go!

Can't wait to ride her! (said the vicar to the nun)

J
2009 Royal Enfield Bullet Classic C5
1951 Royal Enfield RE2 http://www.enfieldmotorcycles.com/forum/index.php/topic,4701.0.html
1989 XJ900 Custom Chopper

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
  • R.I.P Papa Juan, Uncle Ernie
Reply #74 on: March 20, 2009, 11:45:38 pm
We'll need a full report as soon as you have it! I'm happy for you, and a bit jealous too.
On the eighth day God created the C5, and it was better looking than anything on the planet.
Iron Butt Association