Author Topic: The first time  (Read 29991 times)

rider677

• Scooter
Reply #45 on: March 13, 2009, 07:01:20 am
PhilJ     thanks that worked, I have an old guys(truck driver) knowledge of computers so any help i get on them helps.  thanks again    Ernie

PhilJ

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #46 on: March 13, 2009, 01:43:54 pm
Thanks Rider, that's probably the only help I'll ever be for computer problems.  :o

Vince

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #47 on: March 13, 2009, 04:40:58 pm
      Alaroyal, you are right. It is subjective. I have been in this business for 35 years and I have never had someone buy a bike for an objective need. People buy a bike they want. Someone may convince himself of a need, but it all started with desire. We wind up married for the same reason!
     I have actually come to realize that I am NOT in the motorcycle business. I don't compete with other motorcycle stores. I compete with the movie-plex, Nintendo, ski slopes,  and even Disney Land. I don't sell motorcycles. I provide an outlet for people that want fun or a hobby or a platform for self expression.
     Riding and racing and wrenching on motorcycles has shaped my life. It is great to be able to share this with the like minded folks that come  to visit me.

Cabo Cruz

• Papa Juan
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #48 on: March 17, 2009, 04:16:49 am
Brothers and Sisters:

Colin Cameron, a fellow motorcycle enthusiast, and I made the two-hour trip from Atlanta, GA to Westminster, SC this past Tuesday in search of the red, G5 Deluxe that had been spotted at Richard Evans’ shop – R&D Enfield.  Colin and Richard have known each other for some years through the Greater Atlanta British Motorcycle Association (GABMA).  Richard and I met for the first time this past week.  I will, of course, share with you my first impressions of the G5 in the next paragraphs.  However, the trip would have been worthwhile even if the objective had been just to meet Richard, have lunch with him and Colin and simply talk RE motorcycles!  In other words, the G5 experience was memorable but it pales in comparison with the time Colin and I spent with Richard Evans!

The G5, as Brother Kevin has noted in this forum, is the UCE in an Electra frame with a modified swing arm.  Correct?  Well, with all due respect, that description does not quite begin to cover the true meaning and beauty of this new product offering!  The Electra looks quickly evaporate due to the Magic Dust that covers this stunning motorcycle.  The dusting starts with the new, beefy chromed front (dare I say?) mudguard; it undoubtedly follows with the beautiful UCE power plant; it continues with what appears to be a less busy, modified swing arm; and, it ends with the chromed rear mudguard.  I can safely state that for those of us who like the chromed fender looks of a British motorcycle the decision to purchase a G5 or a C5 will not be an easy one.  Again, up close and personal, the G5 does not readily (or actually) remind even the informed observer of the Electra.

The pictures we have seen of the new UCE power plant do not really illustrate its quality or beauty.  I knelt in front (and both sides) of this new engine for a significant amount of time.  (I knew this because my arthritic knees protested as I tried to get myself back on my feet.  And, no, I did not say any prayers or made any offerings to the UCE gods while I was on my knees!)  Well, going back to the pictures, the quality and the finish of the castings of the engine covers are what we have seen and more.  But, the pictures do not show the quality of the finish of the engine and the barrel fins.  The fit and finish of these components are equal to those of the Hinckley Bonneville or the W650.  (Period.)  The muffler… well, there are those who like the super-sized original can… and, for some reason, it is not an eyesore on the G5… but, as in all else in life, beauty is in the eyes of the beholder.  The Deluxe G5 in her British Post (Office) Red looks gorgeous in spite of the length of the stock muffler.

Of course, I was not the only one admiring the G5.  Colin asked a lot of good questions.  Richard very graciously and proudly answered the questions, as he explained everything about the new engine and the new technologies used on it.  You could tell that Richard paid a lot of attention during the EFI classes held in Faribault, MN.  And, since he, by then, knew of Perla (my 2004 Sixty-5), he gave Colin and me a lot of comparisons between the old and the new RE technologies.  Professor Evans put on quite a seminar.  This new friend knows his beans!  Colin also took a lot of pictures (on film) of the G5 and of us, which he gave to me on Wednesday.  (I was going to scan them and add them to this report; however, the friend who owns the scanner is having problems with it; and, since I did not want to delay this report any longer, I decided to post it without the pictures.)

Richard took a telephone call.  After that break, I showed him the 14 pictures of Perla I recently placed in the Gallery – he was very complimentary of my bike!  Our focus returned to the G5 and our host went through the starting procedure and fired up the bike.  The obvious question is: What are the sounds of the UCE like?  My response is: What sounds?  This is to say that the UCE, unlike the shakes (rattles and rolls) and the metallic sounds we associate to our current REs, is a very smooth and quiet running motor!  How’s the exhaust note?  Well, on this point, we go back to the true sound of an RE in stock form, of course.  Our Forum host has related how the engineers in India toiled to get that familiar RE sound out of the UCE.  I believe their efforts met with success.  Once opened up, as we typically run our current bikes, I am quite confident that the UCE is going to have the same sound (and the corresponding gains in performance) we are used to hear (and feel) out of our favorite marque of bikes!

What were we hungry for?  The three of us walked to the best burger joint in town and our buddy Colin treated Richard and me to lunch.  Did we talk about the weather, politics and religion?  Well, we did for literally a few minutes!  Our conversation quickly and happily returned to the G5 and its UCE.  Richard took Colin and me through the extensive and precise PDI process that REM and CMW have outlined for the dealers.  There are quality control check points in the PDI process and in the break-in period.  This “game changer” of a product, as Kevin calls it, does take quality control practices from concepts to realities!  Are you guys ready?  Yes sir.  Let’s get back to the store.  Roger that, Boss! 

As we got back, Richard took the key out his pocket and said: “You’re gonna have the privilege of riding a G5 with 30 miles on the clock.”  It didn’t take me very long to get my riding gear out my Element or on me!  The Boss pointed me to a very quiet section of town that is visible from his shop and, after the warm-up period, I smoothly rolled out of the parking lot for about a five-minute ride at a maximum of 45 MPH at any one point.  Well, my friends, in closing… just kidding!  My one-word evaluation, as expressed to my buddies once I returned to the store, was: “WOWZAA!!!”  Firstly, the pull of the clutch lever is lighter than the one on my 2005 Bonneville!  Secondly, the transmission is as smooth and as precise as any tranny you have ever shifted in your riding experiences, my friends!  Thirdly, the UCE is truly a 21st century Royal Enfield engine!  Fourthly, I do believe there is some real Magic Dust in the “so called” modified swing arm because the handling of the G5 is outstanding!  So, there you have it… this is my story… and, I’m sticking to it.  (Period.)

In closing, Colin Cameron and I had an absolute ball as we drove to and from Westminster, SC.  We sandwiched the round trip with the memorable time we spent with Richard Evans and the G5, its UCE and all else this new bike offers us RE riders.  As we left, I said to Richard something like this: When to buy a new RE is in question… knowing where to buy the new RE is not at all in question!

Best regards,

Papa Juan

cc: Colin Cameron

Richard Evans,
      R&D Enfield
      104 W Piedmont St.
      Westminster, SC 29693
      864-247-1673
      E-Mail:     rde@netmds.com
      Web:      http://www.enfieldmotorcycles.com/rdenfield/)

Kevin Mahoney, CMW

P.S.  The reason for the format of this posting is that I am sending e-mails of the text to Colin Cameron, Richard Evans and Kevin Mahoney.

P.P.S.  I include Richard’s phone number, e-mail and web site information for those of you who might wish to contact him, directly.
Long live the Bullets and those who ride them!

Keep the shiny side up, the boots on the pegs and best REgards,

Papa Juan

REA:    Member No. 119
BIKE:   2004 Royal Enfield Sixty-5
NAME: Perla

baird4444

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2003 ES 500... 38,416 miles, I'm done
Reply #49 on: March 17, 2009, 04:38:39 am
                             WOWZAA

Good on you Brother Cabo. You have ridden "The new one".  I'm
sure in the back of your mind you are trying to figure out how
to make one yours...
                -Mike
'My dear you are ugly,
 but tomorrow I shall be sober and you will still be ugly'
 - Winston Churchill

Cabo Cruz

• Papa Juan
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #50 on: March 17, 2009, 05:59:34 am
Oh, Brother Mike, the G5 is a WOWZAA and, then some!!!  And, you are correct... how do I convince my lovely CFO that I need more play money?  Let's see... if I sell... well, I'll be sure to keep you in the loop!

P.S. Mike, I love that rich, bold expression: WOWZAA... I just may start using it myself.  :D

Papa Juan

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #51 on: March 17, 2009, 07:20:43 am
I went to Vinces Motorcycle Store late Saturday to see the *Ahem* "New" Bullet.
WOWZAA!! may in fact be an understatement. No exaggeration here.
 It has to be seen to be understood.
No matter where you go, there, you are.

Marrtyn

• Bulleteer
Reply #52 on: March 17, 2009, 08:25:07 am
What a good story. Truly inspirational. Outstanding,--and I own one!
Can I say WOWZAA too.
Martyn

Kruiser

• Bulleteer
Reply #53 on: March 17, 2009, 01:06:05 pm
Thanks very much for the details!  Now all I have to do is save up my money :-[

Cabo Cruz

• Papa Juan
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #54 on: March 17, 2009, 02:00:52 pm
“I went to Vinces Motorcycle Store late Saturday to see the *Ahem* "New" Bullet.
WOWZAA!! may in fact be an understatement. No exaggeration here.
 It has to be seen to be understood.”  Ice

“It has to be seen to be understood.”  Correctly and exactly stated, Brother Ice!

“What a good story. Truly inspirational. Outstanding,--and I own one!
Can I say WOWZAA too.”  Martyn

Brother Martyn, I thank you for your kind comments regarding the report.  And, since you fortunately own a G5, you know that the story I posted contains nothing but the facts about the new RE.

“Thanks very much for the details!  Now all I have to do is save up my money.”   :-[ Kruiser

Brother Keith, you’re quite welcome.  As for the money part, all I can say is: I feel your pain!

Papa Juan

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #55 on: March 17, 2009, 03:13:59 pm
Papa Juan,
Great to hear that you had a nice time and enjoyed seeing and riding the G5 .

It sounds like a very nice bike, from your description.

What are your observations about the G5 vs the new Bonneville, considering that you've ridden both?
Home of the Fireball 535 !

Cabo Cruz

• Papa Juan
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #56 on: March 17, 2009, 04:42:42 pm
"Papa Juan,
Great to hear that you had a nice time and enjoyed seeing and riding the G5 .

It sounds like a very nice bike, from your description.

What are your observations about the G5 vs the new Bonneville, considering that you've ridden both?"  ace.cafe

Oh yeah, Brother Ace, along with Brothers Colin and Richard and that G5 Redhead, I had a wonderful time!  Ace, as far as the description of the bike goes, I can only echo the words from Brother Ice: "WOWZAA!! may in fact be an understatement."

"What are your" (my) "observations about the G5 vs the new Bonneville, considering that you've ridden both?"   Well, my friend, I had the "privilege of riding a G5 with 30 miles on the clock" but, for all the right reasons, at about 40 MPH for 5, or so, minutes.  My test ride, quite frankly, was insufficient to give you a comparison of any significance.  One of the observation exceptions that I can advance is that the handling of the bike with that "so called" modified swing arm makes the G5 float in comparison to that of the Bonneville!

Papa Juan

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #57 on: March 17, 2009, 05:01:59 pm
Thanks Papa Juan!

That's good to hear.

Home of the Fireball 535 !

Chasfield

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #58 on: March 17, 2009, 05:59:07 pm
I must admit, my curmudgeonly, head-in-the-sand, miserable-old-man-style reluctance to accept anything new in motorcycling is softening somewhat, particularly, after PJ's write up. I think I could get along quite nicely with one of these UCE machines.
2001 500 Bullet Deluxe

Blltrdr

• Grand Gearhead
  • cycle-delic music
Reply #59 on: March 17, 2009, 07:37:39 pm
 Cabo, you have written a fine article on the new G-5 Deluxe. Kudos to your very detailed and multilayered writing skills. Your enthusiastic story telling is of a much excited younger person. These feelings are few and far between as we age and the times we can rekindle that excitement to the level we felt in our younger days is very special indeed. I am happy for your excitement for it has rubbed off on me. Keep up your enthusiastic posts!

Blltdr
« Last Edit: March 17, 2009, 10:28:43 pm by Blltrdr »
2003 Classic 500 5 spd
2009 HD FLHT Police 103 6 spd
1992 Kawasaki ZG 1200 Voyager XII