Author Topic: The first time  (Read 29988 times)

Rick Sperko

• Grand Gearhead
  • Milwaukee, WI
Reply #30 on: March 10, 2009, 04:41:16 pm
To me the C5 body, ignoring the paint, looks more like a classic than the G5 classic does, which I prefer. I am less excited about the G5 because it looks so much like the Electra. The tool boxes, the gaiters, the lack of saddle bag supports, the lack of supports for the front fender.

There will be no mistaking my iron barrel classic for a G5 classic. Who am I kidding? Normal people don't notice any of these things.

-Rick
Rick in Milwaukee, WI

'06 RE Bullet Classic Iron
'63 VW Beetle Ragtop (also classic)
'66 Chris Craft Cavalier Cutlass 26'
'02 BMW R1150R

flintweld

• Bulleteer
Reply #31 on: March 10, 2009, 05:25:58 pm
  Oh I notice,
    Must Must Must have the C5 !

If I may paraphrase one of our member's ped slicer
     "olds'cool"

Flint.

Royal.Oilfield

Reply #32 on: March 10, 2009, 06:10:52 pm

Royal.Oilfield

Reply #33 on: March 10, 2009, 06:13:41 pm
« Last Edit: March 10, 2009, 06:20:15 pm by Royal.Oilfield »

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
  • R.I.P Papa Juan, Uncle Ernie
Reply #34 on: March 10, 2009, 09:27:10 pm
Oh yeah, you know what I like.
On the eighth day God created the C5, and it was better looking than anything on the planet.
Iron Butt Association

Vince

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #35 on: March 10, 2009, 09:51:41 pm
      We have been getting little sun breaks today, so my guys got to ride the new bikes. Saturday they were mad because I got to ride and they did not. Today was their turn. Now they are back in the service department fist fighting over who gets to to do the 30 mile shake down ride that Enfield wants the dealers to do.  I'm surprised they came back in. Lucky for me it is pretty cold and they did not have all there gear. They would still be riding.

prof_stack

Reply #36 on: March 11, 2009, 01:11:18 am
Keep the comments coming, Vince!   ;D

Is the rear fender and bracket the same as that on the Electra?

PhilJ

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #37 on: March 11, 2009, 01:09:35 pm
Ernie,
On a PC, right click and open in a new tab. On a Mac, control click and open in new tab. You will see the picture in it's full glory.

Phil

Vince

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #38 on: March 11, 2009, 05:46:30 pm
     Finally got in a 5 mile ride!!! It really does feel like a kitted RE. I kept it less than 1/2 throttle and 40 MPH as per the book. At 40 in 5th it did not feel very good. It vibrated and  throttle response was not that satisfactory. I dropped down into 4th and things were great. As an experiment I ran up to 45 for a moment and shifted to 5th. It was smooth and powerful there. I think the hardest part of break-in will be riding that fine line between lugging and sweet spot.
     The transmission is even better than before. I found neutral at a dead stop every time!
     My biggest complaint is the mirrors. They are too short and are at a funny angle. The old black ones are much better.
     The weather report is favorable for the next couple of days. I get to ride after work tonight.
     If I didn't already own the store I would have to buy one of these!.

Vince

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #39 on: March 12, 2009, 05:37:04 pm
     Another 15 miles! It just keeps getting better and better. The engine is already starting to smooth out and revving more freely. I am really down to nit-picking. I mentioned the mirrors. I also think I would like the shift pedal to be 1/2 to 3/4 inch longer. I have an average size foot and with my boots on I have to bend my ankle a surprising amount to get under the pedal for an up shift. Raising the pedal more would necessitate lifting my foot off the peg for a down shift.
     Compared to previous Enfields this is in a different league. They have entered the majors with this bike.
     The class of mid displacement bikes this would compete with include the Suzuki Savage /S40 Boulevard 650 and GS500, The Yamaha XV250 and 650, the Kawasaki EX250 and 500 and the EN 500, the Honda VT600 Shadow and Rebel 250, and the Hyosung GV250. All these bikes have a mix of power, comfort, and utility that would appeal to most people for their usualy transportation and fun riding needs.
     The new Enfield EFI has it's own mix of these qualities plus almost unlimited customization options and a fun factor that can't be beat.

Bullet Bill

• Scooter
Reply #40 on: March 12, 2009, 06:13:08 pm
Don't forget looks; the Enfield's got 'em in spades.  Ha!  That's what the other companies get for abandoning British styling.  They'll all get you from point A to point B the fun way, but only the Bullet will catch the eyes of passers-by.
There's something that doesn't make sense... let's go and poke it with a stick.

Alaroyal

• Bulleteer
Reply #41 on: March 12, 2009, 08:29:21 pm
No doubt about the looks issue, and as a HD owner, I'm well aware of what looks often cost.

But, and I do have to play a little devil's advocate here, there is always the cost factor.  Even though My AVI Electra is a fine bike, and I believe the UCE is even better, and I may well trade my AVI for a G5 to tug the sidecar, the Suzi 650 can be bought new for $4000.00 (maybe a tad less), and that really gives me some pause.

I understand the reasons for this situation, I truly do, I just wish it wasn't that way.  I prefer the RE's classic looks, no doubt, but the Suzi is a wonderful bike, extremely comfortable, the engine has been around a loong time, and there's always that big price differential.   

As far as looks, there are some classic cues that can be done to the S40, and       besides, most of us do stuff to our REs, too.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2009, 08:30:57 pm by Alaroyal »
Dave

"The reason most people don't recognize opportunity when it knocks, is because opportunity almost wears work clothes."

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
  • R.I.P Papa Juan, Uncle Ernie
Reply #42 on: March 12, 2009, 08:38:59 pm
My wife rides a Suzuki S40, it's a really great bike,  I've rode it quite a lot and really like it.  All that said, I'm selling my Triumph Bonneville to buy a C5 when they are available.
On the eighth day God created the C5, and it was better looking than anything on the planet.
Iron Butt Association

Vince

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #43 on: March 12, 2009, 10:52:44 pm
     Alaroyal, price is certainly an issue, but there is NOTHING like an Enfield.

Alaroyal

• Bulleteer
Reply #44 on: March 13, 2009, 01:08:03 am
I understand fully, there is NOTHING like an Enfield, just as there is NOTHING like a Harley Davidson, or anyone else's favorite brand, and those are valid points, always, in the purchase of a machine of any kind.  (For me, in some cases, there is nothing like a Honda, and nothing like a Kawasaki, and in those cases the cost factor is a big plus.)

I understand those emotional, mystique issues very well. I am very fond of my Enfield, and often wear my RE belt buckle, and when someone asks, I proudly give them the quick RE history.  I like the looks and questions when I'm on the hack. I'm just always perplexed by the question of what are those things worth ?

Is a Screaming Eagle Electra Glide 110 inch worth 12,000 to 14,000 dollars more out the door than a Gold Wing 112 inch?  Not for me, I have a GL 1800. 

Was a new Harley XL 1200 Custom worth more than a new, heavily discounted Honda VTX 1800?  I guess so, I bought one.

And I bought a RE instead of a Suzi. 

I just have for decades wondered, are the subjective factors worth more than the objective ones, and if so, how much more?  Sometimes they are, sometimes they're not.

I do know that there is an occasional guy on an Electra Glide that's stock, or a stage one, that cost the same as, or a little more than my GL,  but who doesn't understand some objective factors about the difference between my bike and his. 

He gooses it at a light while I'm beside him on my Wing, and well, as the old saying goes, "when the clutch drops, the Bull stops".  I just smoke him something fierce, and at that point the tradition, 106 years in business, bad boy image, etc., don't count, and the OBJECTIVE factor of pure performance becomes tremendously SUBJECTIVE, and a lot of fun for me. 

The Enfield is very cool, no doubt at all, but I know that a 650 Suzi would do a better job of tugging that sidecar around.  Like I've said before, how does one balance subjective against objective?  Subjectively, I guess.
Dave

"The reason most people don't recognize opportunity when it knocks, is because opportunity almost wears work clothes."