Author Topic: Electra vs. Standard Bullet  (Read 33259 times)

Thumper

• Psalm 23
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Classic Wannabe
Reply #30 on: October 02, 2007, 12:50:47 pm
    True-as of 2007 all HDs are fuel injected.The Sportster line was the last hold out for the carb'd Harleys.

jon

It's going to be interesting times. Can't wait to see what changes the next few years brings to the RE.

Neither the Classic nor the Electra engine will meet the new Euro 3 standard.
How long before the US EPA standards restrict these two models? (Especially the new 2008 California code). And for the sake of economy, will RE only export those Euro 3-compliant models?
That's the big question because it would mean the end of both engines stateside.
Will the Electra X be a stop-gap measure for a few years and continue to meet US EPA standards; thus allowing it to be sold here.
Will it (the AVL LB) still be sold anywhere - or will parts quickly dry up for the short-lived engine?

I hope the new generation has the horsies to pull a sidecar at 55.

How's that for a can of worms?

;)
« Last Edit: October 02, 2007, 04:21:35 pm by Thumper »

longstrokeclassic

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #31 on: October 02, 2007, 01:44:56 pm
From the last set of 'rumours' I recall;

The iron barrelled 'classic' bike at some point will no longer be exported from India simply because of ever increasing emission regs demanded by the majority of its export customers.
It will however continue as a home market model providing there is a reasonable demand.
So spares availability should pose no problem for the foreseeable future.

The AVL lean burn will continue but will come with a Japanese fuel injection system, to enable it to meet anticipated emission laws. - N.B. Considering The UK will need its new Electras supplied with fuel injection in only 4 months time I'm surprised not to have seen or heard anything further on this yet - although please note last paragraph.

The Unit Construction Engine (UCE),the latest factory model, has fuel injection as standard to meet all anticipated emission requirements. As a bonus it also has hydraulic tappets.

The phasing of the model change is dependant on when the latest emission regs come into force in each export market.

Europe begins with EURO3 emission regs from 01Jan 2008.

The cut off date has just passed in the UK (at the weekend) so any Indian production 'classic' or Electra not already recorded as being in the UK can no longer be sold from the start of the new year.

Ric.

Thumper

• Psalm 23
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Classic Wannabe
Reply #32 on: October 02, 2007, 01:52:32 pm
Ric,

Good information, thanks.

I had not heard of the approach to match the AVL LB with fuel injection in order to meet Euro-3. That's actually good news for us Electra X owners. All I had heard was that the new UCE was the solution.

Matt

Sam

• Uralist & now, Bulleteer!
  • Bulleteer
Reply #33 on: October 02, 2007, 02:13:27 pm
Somehow, tweaking the ECU with a mouse doesn't have the same tactile satisfaction as swapping carburator jets; and when it breaks, the fix is never cheap. I guess that's why I like these dinosaurs. Ah, well; progress must progress.

I would think that with thousands produced every year for the last 50 years or so, parts for the iron barrel engine would be abundent for the next few decades, at least. There's still a pretty good supply of Harley shovelhead and panhead parts, and the last shovelhead was produced in 1984. Of course, the parts supply is not through the regular dealer network; my local dealer can't seem to find parts for last year's model.

Never mind, different rant.
<Insert cryptic saying by obscure author here>

luoma

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #34 on: October 02, 2007, 04:02:23 pm
It will be a shame to see the old REs go away, but I would be willing to bet that when the date is announced here in the US, sales of existing stock will be brisk, and resale values will skyrocket. After that, the aftermarket will kick in to take up the slack. Someone may even start producing vintage-style kit bikes by purchasing RE engines.

LJRead

Reply #35 on: October 02, 2007, 06:52:07 pm
I ordered a parts manual which should show the parts for the lean burn setup and the Classic.   I should be getting it in a week or two.  I want to find out just what parts are interchangeable between the two types.  They look so similar I have a feeling that many of the parts are.Mine will be a lean-burn 350.  There are thousands of these in India and now they are selling the 500 cc Machismo there, so I shouldn't think parts will be that much of a problem.  I'm sure CMW will always be able to tap into India for parts on the lean-burn and will probably stock up on them as well.

There is also the question as to whether India will replace the lean-burn for home consumption right away.  I rather doubt it as hundreds of village mechanics as well as the buying public there love the engines as they are.

Then, living here in the middle of nowhere, maybe I'll buy more spares than is normal just to have on hand.  I've done that for my other equipment and it is like life insurance, better if you don't have to use it, but there if you do.  I have even looked into the cost of a complete engine, around $1,100 U.S. from India.

Thumper

• Psalm 23
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Classic Wannabe
Reply #36 on: October 02, 2007, 07:30:01 pm
I ordered a parts manual which should show the parts for the lean burn setup and the Classic.   I should be getting it in a week or two.  I want to find out just what parts are interchangeable between the two types.  They look so similar I have a feeling that many of the parts are.

Let us know what you find out. From what little I've read, although they are similar in design (and more so in concept) there are very few interchangeable parts.

LJRead

Reply #37 on: October 02, 2007, 09:30:28 pm
Thanks for at least this information, I'll do a study when the parts manual arrives and let you all know what I find - you may well be right, I just don't know.  Larry

longstrokeclassic

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #38 on: October 05, 2007, 10:53:49 pm
From the last set of 'rumours' I recall;

The AVL lean burn will continue but will come with a Japanese fuel injection system, to enable it to meet anticipated emission laws. - N.B. Considering The UK will need its new Electras supplied with fuel injection in only 4 months time I'm surprised not to have seen or heard anything further on this yet - although please note last paragraph.

[Having seen the new bike ...

http://royalenfieldlesite.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1649&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=165

It looks like fitting FI to the electra was perhaps just rumour-  they've called the new engined model the Bullet electra  EFI >:(

« Last Edit: October 05, 2007, 10:56:44 pm by longstrokeclassic »