Author Topic: How to remove the nylon locknut holding the footpegs?  (Read 4273 times)

Suitor_Stu

• Scooter
Hello guys, I've been away for a while from both this forum and my bike - I'm in the final year of my Uni course so have had LOADS of work to be doing.  This coupled with certain events meaning that I've now lost the use of the garage that I had has left my enfield in the street, which has certain disadvantages from the point of view of working on it - i.e. unless the weather is semi warm you freeze instantly on touching metal!  It has also meant that unfortunately the little rust gremlins have set to work on my 6month old aftermarket silencer too amongst other parts...:-(

Anyway sob story over!  Upshot is that it's been nicer recently weather wise and the council have all but stopped gritting the roads, which coupled with the fact that I'm now in a lul period before exams has meant that I've had the time PLUS inclination to actually do a bit of work!  Amongst other more mundane general servicing things I've finally been able to fit my Hagon Shocks which I got over 6months ago - more on that to follow though!

Finally down to my question, my primary chain needs adjusting - which obviously requires removal of the chaincase.  I need to remove the footpegs too as they impede removal of the chaincase, but the nuts holding the pegs on on both sizes dont seem to engage the threads.  They turn easily enough, but they move nowhere.  I got a caution on my MOT because my pegs were 'loose' - which was caused by the nuts not being able to be tightened fully.  I however asked the guy if he'd like to give it a try getting them to come off, and after 5mins of trying he couldn't budge them so passed me!  He reconed the only way to fix the problem was to take a dremil to the bolts and replace the whole lot.  Just wondering if there's any other wee tricks o' the trade out there to remove these nuts?

Cheers, Stu

P.S. Sorry for the mini essay, but I thought I had to justify being away for so long!  But with a big trip in planning for this summer I'll probably be on here quite a lot more in the near future!

1Blackwolf1

• Grand Gearhead
  • Looking for the next rebuild project....
Reply #1 on: March 05, 2009, 09:15:30 pm
  If I understand you correctly the nut is just spinning and won't come off.  Simple enough repair.  If you have a thin chisel or screwdriver you can put it between the mount nut and and peg and wedge it in while turning it off.  Of course you'll have to lock the bolt in place so it doesn't move.  Or you could buy a nut splitter and crack the nut with little of no effort.  A Dremel would work but is kind of like using a blow torch to light a cigarette.

Hope this helps.  Will.
Will Morrison
2007 500 Military
2000 Kawasaki Drifter 1500
2000 Victory V92SC
1976 Suzuki GT185 Rebuilder Special..AKA (Junkyard Dog)
Many, many other toys.
The garage is full.

baird4444

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2003 ES 500... 38,416 miles, I'm done
Reply #2 on: March 06, 2009, 06:05:29 am
  If I understand you correctly the nut is just spinning and won't come off.  Simple enough repair.  If you have a thin chisel or screwdriver you can put it between the mount nut and and peg and wedge it in while turning it off.  Of course you'll have to lock the bolt in place so it doesn't move.  Or you could buy a nut splitter and crack the nut with little of no effort.  A Dremel would work but is kind of like using a blow torch to light a cigarette.
 Hope this helps.  Will.

Blow torch to light a cigarette...  that's funny
nut cracker...  OUCH!!  but they work.
before you start on this I'd have the new shaft and nuts in hand or you'll
be waiting on parts. Just a thot - Mike

another thot- save the old shaft as it is the correct size of hex to loosen or tighten
your fork tubes at the top and to fit that allen set at the base of the neck yoke bearings. just cut off the bad threads...
'My dear you are ugly,
 but tomorrow I shall be sober and you will still be ugly'
 - Winston Churchill

deejay

Reply #3 on: March 06, 2009, 06:23:39 pm
Stu, make sure you are holding a wrench on the opposite side when loosening so the whole thing doesn't spin.

jeep44

• Scooter
Reply #4 on: March 07, 2009, 01:20:16 am
Stu, make sure you are holding a wrench on the opposite side when loosening so the whole thing doesn't spin.

I suspect this is what is happening,also.
Bulletist and Uraleer! 

2007 Classic Deluxe
1997 Ural Tourist
bunch of other Brit. and US bikes

Suitor_Stu

• Scooter
Reply #5 on: March 07, 2009, 11:18:27 am

Nah, that wasn't happening - the bolt was not turning at all even with spanners on both ends.  The screwdriver thing didn't work either unfortunately.  I ended up just going at the nut with a hacksaw, but found that once I had got rid of that, the bolt was also bent slightly which meant that it wasn't going to come out from under the bike which meant that I had to go at that with the saw too!  Seriously, after all that sawing my biceps are now huge!

Cheers for the help guys.