Author Topic: New member. Sidecar on the brain!  (Read 10788 times)

Blue Ridge Wheeltor

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #15 on: March 18, 2009, 03:03:03 pm
I have a 1978 BMW R100s. before I bought the Ural I investigated putting a sidecar on it. Since the 60's, BMW's have not been built for hacks, and I would have to add a subframe. Pretty expensive and add labor. I'd then have to add Earles type forks for handling. Being new, I'd probably have to have a professional set it up. The cost was prohibitive.
I am not knocking the Enfield setup. I may do it myself. The point I was trying to make was that since the 1940's, Ural has made over 3 million sidecars. Any attempt at a solo is just a poor attempt.
Plow horses used to be used in the fields. They were bred for stamina. I suppose you could try to race them, but while they would get to the finish line, it wouldn't be in the best time. You could hook a plow to a racehorse, if that's all you have. Don't expect it to do 40 acres though.
One advantage of the RE is that you can detatch the tub and run solo. This shouldn't be an every day thing, as tire wear would affect handling. But you could run solo until winter, then run the hack thru the winter for stability. Year round, I feel much safer on a hack.

One concern I have with adding a sidecar to my RE is color. Mt bike is blue. The sidecars only come in black. The Steib copy by Cozy, with all that chrome, would be a bear to paint.

REA #25
2008 Royal Enfield Deluxe (Blue)
2006 Ural Patrol
1978 BMW R 100s--SOLD--
1977 HD XLCR
1971 Triumph Bonneville

Joe28

• Grease Monkey
Reply #16 on: March 19, 2009, 05:50:40 pm
Hmmm, the "Rig Wars" continues.......... ;D
The newer Urals are WAY better than the older ones, everyone agrees.
Time and milage will be the test to see if they are like their cousin the BMWs.
Like I said, I did the test of all 3, (and now my rig all complete, an '09 Military with a Cozy Rocket).
My machine is geared down, a Harley 1000 muffler, I cut open the air box and re jetted it).
I THINK it rides better than the Ural, my 14 year old daughter,likes the Cozy side car more than the Ural, (more room).
I THINK pound for pound the R.E. is cheaper to buy, cheaper to maintain, (again 1 carb, 1 piston, better MPG).
The Ural looks "tougher" which I like.
The R.E. is easier to move @, (so not having reverse isn't as much as a pain. Try pushing a Ural backward).
I'm not going to do any off road testing here, as I bought the R.E. to comute to work on roads with. I have to wait to do a "drive in the snow" comparison, although I FEEL as though the Ural would beat the R.E. cuz it's heavier> ???
If they both cost close, I dunno, maybe I'd be on the Ural forums now instead of the R.E.! :D
200 miles and I'm pretty happy with the R.E.
As for painting. Yep, my Cozy came black, I took my air box off, took it to a paint shop and they matched the paint. 2 days to tape, paint, and it looks factory! ;)
Joe

All statements stated here should be taken with a few beers! ;)

Blue Ridge Wheeltor

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #17 on: March 19, 2009, 06:31:44 pm
Which tub did you get, the Euro or the other one, and why?

I don't seem to like the Euro as much at first sight, but it would be easier to paint.
REA #25
2006 Ural Patrol
1978 BMW R 100s--SOLD--
1977 HD XLCR
1971 Triumph Bonneville

Anon

• Grand Gearhead
  • Good golly Miss Molly
Reply #18 on: March 19, 2009, 07:19:54 pm
All statements stated here should be taken with a few beers! ;)

Excellent advice in general!

Eamon
Eamon

The Garbone

• Shade Tree
  • Grand Gearhead
  • User Complaints: 22
Reply #19 on: March 19, 2009, 07:30:34 pm
There is a noticeable lack of pictures in this thread... :-\
Gary
57' RE Crusader 250
67' Ford Mustang
74' Catalina 27 "Knot a Clew"
95 RE Ace Clubman 535
01 HD 1200 Custom
07 RE 5spd HaCK

* all actions described in this post are fictional *

Blue Ridge Wheeltor

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #20 on: March 19, 2009, 11:44:37 pm
REA #25
2006 Ural Patrol
1978 BMW R 100s--SOLD--
1977 HD XLCR
1971 Triumph Bonneville

Blue Ridge Wheeltor

• Grand Gearhead
REA #25
2006 Ural Patrol
1978 BMW R 100s--SOLD--
1977 HD XLCR
1971 Triumph Bonneville

Joe28

• Grease Monkey
Reply #22 on: March 20, 2009, 01:56:43 pm
I got the Cozy Rocket.
All the R.E.'s I've ever seem had the Rocket, so that just sorta looks, "natural" on the R.E.? ;)
I had looked at the Euro, but I dunno, IN pics it doesn't seem to fit the R.E., (that might be different up close).
(my next bike purchase is a Triumph, and that may get a Euro side car). :D
I ordered my rig assy.  before the Inder came out, and I haven't seem any of those, ( the brake idea is a good thing).
A friend had her Rocket painted and they took the rivets off the almn strips to paint it more, "professional)
I just taped mine up.
It took 1 quart, (4 coats) to spray the entide side ar assy.
Joe
Why is it you hit a curb with the side car tire, only when people are watching? ;)

Alaroyal

• Bulleteer
Reply #23 on: March 22, 2009, 08:29:28 pm
I had looked at the Euro, but I dunno, IN pics it doesn't seem to fit the R.E., (that might be different up close).
Why is it you hit a curb with the side car tire, only when people are watching? ;)

Joe, I think you'll find the Rocket has more foot room that the Euro.  The Rocket is what I put on mine, I believe you'll like it.

One of the corollaries to Murphy's law on the sidecar is: "The probability of hiting a curb with a sidecar tire is in direct proportion to the probability of people watching the event."

Enjoy the hack !
« Last Edit: March 22, 2009, 08:31:04 pm by Alaroyal »
Dave

"The reason most people don't recognize opportunity when it knocks, is because opportunity almost wears work clothes."